Gruesome discovery made underneath a "Lincoln oak" tree
12-29-2012, 09:33 PM
Gruesome discovery made underneath a "Lincoln oak" tree
Hurricane Sandy's devastation included knocking over a "Lincoln oak" only to reveal something hidden for a long time: http://www.newhavenindependent.org/index..._on_green/

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-30-2012, 02:55 AM
RE: Gruesome discovery made underneath a "Lincoln oak" tree
Since this appears to have been a mass burial site, I wonder if more remains will be found.
Find all posts by this user
12-30-2012, 08:24 AM
I would think that yes, being a "mass burial ground" that there may be more poor souls interred there.... I would assume that they will do research into this area to determine this - and if so, in my estimation, something needs to be done.

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
12-30-2012, 10:39 AM
Lafayette Square was also once a burial ground.

"Old Jake, whose hair and beard are as white as his skin is black, says the old Seward house which Mr. Blaine lives in was once the site of a graveyard, and once the bodies were removed sixty or seventy years ago, one grave was overlooked by the workmen and that this buried skeleton has queered the house which was built over its resting place."
Daily Illinois State Register Feb. 16, 1890. (Thanks to Betty for finding this article.)

Washington Evening Star
April 19, 1913
OLD WASHINGTON
Lafayette Square

by James Croggon

"Was Once a Graveyard.

Christian Hines, in his reminiscences, refers to graves being in the southwest corner of the square about 1800, and an old resident states that in his boyhood, about 1840, there were evidences of a graveyard found in the northeast part - skulls, bones etc., and common report was that it had been the burial place for slaves and in the preceeding century, and part of a pear orchard encroached the northern border. There had been erected a fence of three narrow planks prior to 1834 when $1,000 was appropriated to repair it and plant trees. At each corner of the square a stile prevented the intrusion of horses and cattle, and the paths made were well worn, the center especially, by the department people. Down to 1850 it was a playground for the boys, and not infrequently were snakes found there. When Gen. Taylor occupied the white house, 1849-18?? his war horse, Old Whitey, often browsed there as well as the cows of a cabinet officer."
12-30-2012, 12:05 PM
Linda: very interesting information about Lafayette Square. Do you suppose that if others are buried there (pertaining to the "Lincoln oak" story) that they will be re-buried elsewhere?

I'm reminded that in the 1970's workers discovered mass graves of early Detroiters/settlers while working on what would be constructed as the Renaissance Center in downtown Detroit. The remains were placed in Detroit's Elmwood Cemetery.

Bill Nash
12-30-2012, 01:50 PM
(12-30-2012 12:05 PM)LincolnMan Wrote:  Linda: very interesting information about Lafayette Square. Do you suppose that if others are buried there (pertaining to the "Lincoln oak" story) that they will be re-buried elsewhere?

I think if the skeletons are found like in the Lincoln Oak story that they will certainly be reburied but I don't think anyone is looking for them.

Bones were also uncovered a few years ago in Sturges Park in Fairfield, a place where children play sports and go sledding.

http://www.ctpost.com/news/article/State...823771.php
12-30-2012, 01:55 PM (This post was last modified: 12-30-2012 02:14 PM by Gene C.)
No telling how many skeletons are buried in the neighbors closets Angel

http://dancingwithfools.wordpress.com/20...in-closet/

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
12-30-2012, 02:54 PM (This post was last modified: 12-30-2012 07:02 PM by L Verge.)
Just another trivial link, but I noticed from the stone that had marked the Lincoln Oak that it had been planted by the Admiral Foote Post. Rear Admiral Andrew Hull Foote died in 1863 from wounds suffered in battle. However, he had been instrumental in assisting Grant in campaigns along the Mississippi River. When the navy realized that Washington was poorly defended by water, they constructed Fort Foote.

Work on constructing the fort (one of over sixty that surrounded Washington, D.C. during the Civil War) began shortly after the 1862 battle between the Monitor and Merrimack when authorities realized that the only marine defense on the Potomac for the nation's capital was Fort Washington, about fifteen miles downriver. The site chosen for the new, earthen fort was just six miles from D.C. in Prince George's County (Rebel country). It distinguished itself by being home to a number of large Parrot Rifles and Rodman Cannons -- several of which still exist at what remains of the fort.

Fort Foote opened in the fall of 1863, with Lt. Col. William H Seward, Jr. in command of the 9th New York Heavy Artillery. Secretary Seward visited the fort frequently while his son was in command, and President Lincoln, Secretary Stanton, and high ranking officers visited at least once in August of 1863.

Isn't it amazing how you can link so much history to Mr. Link-em?
12-30-2012, 04:01 PM
You ain't kidding!

Bill Nash
12-30-2012, 11:26 PM
(12-30-2012 08:24 AM)BettyO Wrote:  I would think that yes, being a "mass burial ground" that there may be more poor souls interred there.... I would assume that they will do research into this area to determine this - and if so, in my estimation, something needs to be done.

I guess I should have more carefully phrased my question. I am wondering if they will search for more burials in the area. Since one has been found, and there are more, will they try to remove more and rebury, or just rebury the one found under the tree?
12-30-2012, 11:52 PM
Exactly what I thought, Donna. I work with an Engineering Firm. Here in Richmond they built a huge upscale mall several years ago. Work came to a screeching halt when a body was discovered buried on the site. Forensics were called in and it was determined that the remains were over 100 years old. Work halted and more bodies were uncovered. There were more than 35-50 bodies there. It was an old, unused cemetery. The bodies were moved to another area before work could resume.

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
12-31-2012, 12:04 AM
It looks like they are just going to rebury the one(s) found under the tree. There is no mention in this article of them looking for other remains.

http://www.nhregister.com/articles/2012/...=fullstory
12-31-2012, 08:00 AM
Thanks, Linda! Hope these folk get a decent burial....

12-31-2012, 09:58 AM
Were most of the cemetaries (before the civil war) 150-200 years ago, church cemetaries or public?
Not being a grave/head stone hunter, I would have thought church.

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
12-31-2012, 10:55 AM
Gene -

They could have been church oriented OR family oriented. I know for a fact that a LOT of the old farms and plantation houses both around here where I live and in other rural areas in Virgina and Maryland had their own private family cemeteries a short distance from the house.

The Watt House right down the road here at Cold Harbor had their private family cemetery almost right in their front yard practically. It's still there!
The cemetery at Granville Tract where Powell lived while serving with Mosby also has a family cemetery right across the yard and field.... Lewis' girlfriend's younger sister, Alice, is buried there with her family.