New books
12-02-2012, 01:59 PM
New books
Noticed last night there are a couple of new books coming out soon that look interesting.

First is Congressman Lincoln by Chris DeRose. Although the publisher's puffery seems a bit bothersome, I'm going to hold judgment until I see the book itself. If I'm not mistaken, this will be the first book on Lincoln as congressman since Donald W. Riddle wrote Congressman Abraham Lincoln.

Also, James Oakes will release Freedom National, a new history on the destruction of slavery in America. Here is an article written by Oakes in Salon that previews his work.

Although it isn't related to Lincoln, there is a new biography of Dumas Malone coming out next year that looks interesting as well.

Best
Rob

Abraham Lincoln in the only man, dead or alive, with whom I could have spent five years without one hour of boredom.
--Ida M. Tarbell

I want the respect of intelligent men, but I will choose for myself the intelligent.
--Carl Sandburg
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-14-2013, 11:32 AM
RE: New books
The LGDC is now sponsoring book discussion groups. A recent notice says: "A book group has formed around the newly annotated biography by Lincoln's law partner William Herndon and the writer Jesse Weik. This edition includes the two chapters added several years after the initial publication. Herndon interviewed 130 or so people who knew or interacted with Lincoln personally, in addition to his own 25 years working in the office with Lincoln."

It doesn't say what the title is - and not being a student of Lincoln, I'm don't know it either. Does anyone have further information to share?
05-14-2013, 12:06 PM
(05-14-2013 11:32 AM)Laurie Verge Wrote:  The LGDC is now sponsoring book discussion groups. A recent notice says: "A book group has formed around the newly annotated biography by Lincoln's law partner William Herndon and the writer Jesse Weik. This edition includes the two chapters added several years after the initial publication. Herndon interviewed 130 or so people who knew or interacted with Lincoln personally, in addition to his own 25 years working in the office with Lincoln."

It doesn't say what the title is - and not being a student of Lincoln, I'm don't know it either. Does anyone have further information to share?

Wouldn't that be Herndon's Lincoln? (Back when it was first published, I think it was called The True Story of a Great Life.) But I thought that Herndon's Lincoln was "newly annotated" a number of years ago by Douglas Wilson and a colleague whose name escapes me.

Check out my web sites:

http://www.petersonbird.com

http://www.elizabethjrosenthal.com
05-14-2013, 12:14 PM
It's Douglas Wilson and Rodney Davis. Here is some detail about the book.

Best
Rob

http://www.abrahamlincolnonline.org/linc...erndon.htm

Abraham Lincoln in the only man, dead or alive, with whom I could have spent five years without one hour of boredom.
--Ida M. Tarbell

I want the respect of intelligent men, but I will choose for myself the intelligent.
--Carl Sandburg
05-14-2013, 12:24 PM
(05-14-2013 12:14 PM)Rob Wick Wrote:  It's Douglas Wilson and Rodney Davis. Here is some detail about the book.

Best
Rob

http://www.abrahamlincolnonline.org/linc...erndon.htm

The Wilson and Davis book was titled: HERNDON'S INFORMANTS--a must in any Lincoln library.
06-20-2013, 03:19 PM
I am holding my breath on receiving this one! A friend just tipped me off that there is a new book entitled John Wilkes Booth: Beyond the Grave. The author, W.C. Jameson, is said to be a descendant of the Booth family and relates family stories of Booth's escape, his continuing his acting career, marrying, and having children. Supposedly there are previously unseen papers and diaries to support this.
06-20-2013, 03:30 PM
Here is the amazon page, I don't suppose you will be selling copies at the Surratt House?
http://www.amazon.com/John-Wilkes-Booth-...361&sr=1-3

I know his other book "Return of Assassin" has a special place in my library
(a box in the basement)

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
06-20-2013, 03:56 PM
(06-20-2013 03:30 PM)Gene C Wrote:  Here is the amazon page, I don't suppose you will be selling copies at the Surratt House?
http://www.amazon.com/John-Wilkes-Booth-...361&sr=1-3

I know his other book "Return of Assassin" has a special place in my library
(a box in the basement)
Gene, Are you saying that you did not like the Return of Assassin or that you didn't like the author? Or maybe the subject of the book turned you off. I would appreciate your opinion because I may want to order the book if others think it may be a good read. Best Gary
06-20-2013, 04:10 PM (This post was last modified: 06-20-2013 04:32 PM by Gene C.)
Return of the Assassin reads more like fiction. I didn't like the book. It has been several years since I read it. The usual, unusual theories based on unverified documentation (secret letters and diaries). This writer has a history of tall tales. He also has written several books about buried treasure.

As one critic wrote about Jameson's book on Butch Cassidy " ...one has to swallow a substantial amount of flimsy evidence to buy the concept that Butch Cassidy and Sundance Kid escaped their gruesome fate in south America. I feel the same way about Jameson's previous book on Booth

There are better books out there regarding this tired, recylced theory that Booth escaped

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
06-20-2013, 04:54 PM
(06-20-2013 03:19 PM)Laurie Verge Wrote:  The author, W.C. Jameson, is said to be a descendant of the Booth family

Yes, he indeed makes this claim. I have Return of Assassin, and he does say Booth was "kin." He says he found out when he was in 5th grade. He writes that "the prospect of being related to a notorious assassin generated mixed emotions in a 10-year-old." I agree with Gene's assessment of the book.
06-20-2013, 08:32 PM
Rich Lowry has a new book out called Lincoln Unbound.

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-21-2013, 08:10 AM
Gene, Thank you for your response to my question to you about Return of the assassin. I also like to read books that are non-fiction or have not been embellished on by the author. I have just finished reading the first of two part novel written by our own Bill Richter The last confederate heroes. I am sure most of you have already read the novel but I have to say so far it is an excellent read. Although the novel is classified as fiction Mr. Richter mixes both truth and theory so well that it seems to me that the events and conversations that took place could have happened as written. I guess that's what makes a writer a great writer. The book also made me much more aware of how the south was effected by the war and how life would change with the end of slavery. The south I believe loss so much more than the north in terms of life as it was known prior to the war. The book really expresses in detail the hate JWB had for Lincoln and the love he had for the south and their way of life. I cannot wait to start volume two, which I will tonight. One last note our own Laurie Verge was mentioned in acknowledgements. Great job Laurie. Best Gary
06-21-2013, 07:33 PM
Thanks for a grand review, Gary!

Bill's Last Confederate Heroes is so far the BEST assassination novel published! I wholeheartedly concur....

Look for more great historical fiction in the "soon to be published" arena! I have just finished proof reading another (won't go into particulars here) and I must say that it is historically accurate and a wonderful read!

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
06-22-2013, 06:14 PM
In the fall of 2011, I placed an order with Amazon for an upcoming book on Montreal and the Assassination of Abraham Lincoln. Today, I received yet another notice from Amazon that the publication date for that book has been pushed back to November of 2014! It better be one spectacular book with lots of documented material to justify this wait...
07-20-2013, 10:29 AM
http://smithsonianslipcase.com/index.php...ory_id=254

A book from the Smithsonian on their Civil War holdings.