Dreams of the past...
11-26-2012, 04:46 PM
Dreams of the past...
I wonder if y'all have dreams, actual dreams, of the history of your interest?

Last night, the moon was incredibly bright here. Its almost full. I half awoke in the early hours and looked around my bedroom bathed in soft moonlight. My eyes are astigmatic anyway; everything looks soft and ghostlike.
The only thought that popped into my head was, "I wonder who is dead in the White House?"

Maybe it was the leftover turkey from dinner.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-26-2012, 11:14 PM
RE: Dreams of the past...
Wow, those are great, Herb. My Great Grandfather was at Shiloh and I have visited many times.

That reminds me of an awful dream I had of being in a Nazi concentration camp. The guard was about to demonstrate how to save bullets by shooting me and another with one shot when I awoke.
11-27-2012, 11:14 AM
Mark-You have to have a six-pack and Dorritos and sit under a cannon at Bull Run to visualize the past,do the same at any Battle Field[Gettysburg].Or-Keep watching-"Glory"and "Gettysburg"over and over to"Feel It".
11-27-2012, 11:37 AM
On Sunday, I watched as 25 or so Confederate re-enactors and their cavalry (three horses) marched down Columbia Pike from Winstead Hill in Franklin, Tennessee just as Hood's army of 30,000 men did in 1864. Franklin was a horrific battle. It was good to see the lay of the land even though quite developed. I wanted to get a tingle up and down my spine but it just didn't happen.

The battle scenes from the new Lincoln movie look pretty gruesome and accurate.
11-27-2012, 11:48 AM
Almost full moon? In my profession that a warning that the emergency room is going to get really busy!

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-27-2012, 11:56 AM
The battle scenes in Lincoln were horrific indeed! Very realistic!

The Battle of Franklin would be very interesting to see, Mark! Back about 1986-1987, myself and 11 friends went by van to the reenactment of Shiloh as participants. It had been snowing and we camped out in the snow for 4 days - but enjoyed it immensely.....

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
11-27-2012, 12:43 PM
I hope you saw redbuds and dogwoods blooming. It is the most beautiful place in the spring. Sometimes we get late snows.

The very very best catfish restaurant in the world is Hagy's.
http://www.catfishhotel.com/history.htm

Its the first property adjoining the National Park to the north. You have to see the full moon rise above the Tennessee river from that porch and then treat yourself to the best catfish dinner. Y'all come.

Shiloh is an amazing place. My great grandfather came there with the same group as Ambrose Bierce.
I was lucky to get a rare tour of the Cherry House which was Grant's headquarters. It is said the plans of the General were overheard from the basement by the Southern sympathizer Mrs.Cherry.

So, Betty, you must have had dreams of antebellum Richmond?
11-27-2012, 12:47 PM
Oh, yes Mark! Check out Montebello Plantation House on the other thread. I grew up on Fulton Hill (sometimes called Powhatan Hill) and the Mayor of Richmond lived at the end of the street at Montebello. I've been in this fine old mansion, Jeb Stuart's headquarters, many, many times!

A lot of the old buildings are still standing that were not in the fire zone during the war. Those buildings below Main Street were predominately the ones which burned - and some which were gutted but still standing are STILL there today! I have a brick from the basement area of Libby Prison.

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
11-27-2012, 02:02 PM
I would one day love to visit Shiloh as well as Franklin, Tennessee - especially the latter in order to see Carnton Plantation! One of my volunteers at Surratt House is an expert on The Battle of Franklin.

Your descriptions of Tennessee and Betty's of Richmond make me nostalgic for the good old days. Southern Maryland of my childhood is not the Southern Maryland of today. Many of our grand old homes were demolished in the 1960s before we had a Historic Preservation Commission in the county. With the war against tobacco (understandable), our beautiful farm fields are now subdivisions of cookie cutter McMansions with no charm, and our roads are seas of cars and trucks with terrible drivers behind the wheels. I guess this disgruntled attitude is yet another part of my becoming old!?

I did enjoy your story of the Catfish Hotel. I did not grow up in a family of fishermen. We got all we needed from my uncle's country store and friends who would bring us part of their catches. My first introduction to a catfish was with friends. When I saw my first one, I thought it was one of the ugliest and meanest looking sea creatures I had ever seen! Then, when my friend took a pair of pliers to it in order to skin it, I remember thinking that there was no way I was going to enjoy something that took that much work.

Of course, I changed my mind as soon as I tasted it. Those who come to the Surratt conference in March will have a Southern buffet on Saturday night. Catfish will be on the menu, along with chicken, ham, collards, cornbread, and more. It's all good "brain food" as we edumacate ourselves.
11-27-2012, 02:34 PM
You Southerners sure do have beautiful country down there-such as-Gelico Mt. Tenn-Lexington,Va.-Ashville,SC-Outer Banks.NC-Savannah,Ga.-Richmond,Va- The Smokey Mts.- The Blue Ridge Mts-etc. and too many more to mention!
11-27-2012, 02:54 PM (This post was last modified: 11-27-2012 02:59 PM by Mark MacKenzie.)
Franklin is a town that is trying its best to honor its history. Hard to do in competition with development and commerce, filthy lucre. Does your volunteer know about the recently discovered trove of John Bell Hood documents? I have only heard whispers but it is supposed to be a huge amount of new insight.

The Lincoln movie last was so great showing the period. The coal oil lamps, the carriages, the clothes. My friends think I am crazy to say I would rather live then than now. I know, no penicillin, (trying to think of other advantages of modern life,...)

There is a famous historic site in Nashville called Traveler's Rest. Built in 1799, the home was visited by Andrew Jackson many times. It was a headquarters during the war. Anyway, it is located by the railroad which has grown into a huge rail yard. It is also flanked by the interstate, I-65. The irony of the name Traveler's Rest, and the horrible cacophony of 24 hour traffic and the trains always gets me. A great beautiful place is lost forever and replaced with what?

I don't think its an age thing. Maybe we look at the past with rose colored glasses but we have without question lost so much refinement. I visited Vicksburg last year and stayed in an incredible antebellum bed and breakfast. It was furnished in the period. Natchez is close by. I toured the mansions there. Jefferson Davis lived close to there. He was trimming roses when he received the notice that he was to be the President.

Nashville used to be known as the Athens of the South. Now it is the home of country music, (I like country just not modern country,) and the Titans. Seems like a step down to me but maybe I'm snobbish.

Is it nostalgia?

I hope someday to tour Richmond, Betty.
11-27-2012, 03:04 PM
Please do come down, Mark! And let me know when you do - there is a LOT here in reference not only to the war, but most of the sites affiliated with Mr. Powell are still around - here AND in Northern VA!

11-27-2012, 05:04 PM
Speaking of Franklin, a nice small town in TN just south of Nashville

http://www.tennessean.com/article/201211.../1969/NEWS

trying to raise money for Battle of Franklin property.

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
11-27-2012, 05:17 PM
The Civil War Trust is involved-great organization. Members of the CWT receive the excellent Hallowed Ground magazine.

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-27-2012, 07:41 PM (This post was last modified: 11-27-2012 08:29 PM by BettyO.)
Civil War Trust is a fantastic organization.

The late Brian Pohanka was a good friend of mine who was instrumental in the beginning of the Civil War Trust. By the way, their tour apps for iPhone and iPad are WONDERFUL and FREE as well!