Tad, the "marked character"
11-20-2012, 12:36 PM
Tad, the "marked character"
In a letter to Francis Bicknell Carpenter, dated November 15, 1865, Mary Lincoln wrote a few lines about Tad.

"Dear little Taddie! was named, for my husband's father, Thomas Lincoln - no T - for a middle name was nicknamed, Taddie, by his loving Father. Taddie - is learning to be as diligent in his studies, as he used to be at play in the W.H. he appears to be rapidly making up, for the great amount of time, he lost in W - As you are aware, he was always a marked character. (punctuation as in Turner's Life and Letters.)

What do you think Mary meant when she referred to Tad as a "marked character?" I have read several thoughts including those that refer to Tad's education, speech patterns, or even a possible mental challenge. Is it one of these theories, or something else?

What I find interesting is Mary's choice of the word "character" instead of "child."
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-20-2012, 12:52 PM
RE: Tad, the "marked character"
Tad was a character. I think that's most likely how she meant that. Turning a hose on Stanton, driving his goats through the WH, waving the Stars & Bars under Lincoln as he gave a speech above him, etc. A boisterous, funny loving little rascal.

"There are few subjects that ignite more casual, uninformed bigotry and condescension from elites in this nation more than Dixie - Jonah Goldberg"
11-20-2012, 03:50 PM
I would translate it as Tad being marked (known) as a special person (character) in his own right. Technically, every child/person should be judged such IMO.
11-20-2012, 04:55 PM
Tad certainly was a fun-loving little rascal like Joe says when Lincoln was alive. But Jean Baker uses the term "marked character" to describe someone doomed by fate to have a difficult life. Maybe Mary meant it in the same way.

In Mary Todd Lincoln: A Biography, Baker writes:

"The miserable way her son died made it impossible to think of her son's death as a triumphal entry into Heaven, where he would join the other Lincolns. It was easier-in fact, by this time necessary-for Mary Lincoln to forget Tad and to see herself as abandoned and punished once again, a marked character. 'Ill luck,' she wrote, 'presided at my birth and has been a faithful attendant ever since.'"

"'She said to me [Emilie Helm, her half-sister], 'What is to be is to be and nothing we can say, or do, or be can divert an inexorable fate, but in spite of knowing this, one feels better even after losing, if one has had a brave, whole-hearted fight to get the better of destiny.'" But she could never be consoled by an appreciation of fate, and so spent her life believing herself a marked character."
11-20-2012, 07:30 PM
While at one of the Smithsonian museums one afternoon, I saw Tad Lincoln's gold pocket watch on display. There was nothing drawing attention to it; it was just sitting in a glass display case with a bunch of other stuff that made no impression on me at all.

For some reason, seeing this delicate, elegant and obviously expensive watch made quite an impression on me. It was something I never would have associated with the Tad Lincoln I had read about. Knowing a bit of his background heightened the poignant contrast between such a precious object and Tad's limitations, his uninhibited and often funny behavior and his short, tragic life.

If I remember correctly, it dated from a few years after his father's death; probably bought for him by his mom.

I looked on the Web for a photo of it to share with you all, but wasn't able to find it. Oh, well.

--Jim
11-20-2012, 07:43 PM (This post was last modified: 11-20-2012 07:45 PM by J. Beckert.)
Photo RE: Tad, the "marked character"
Here's Tad's watch, Jim. Robert kept it and it stayed in the family until it was donated to the Smithsonian by Lincoln Isham in 1958. I don't know if stem wind watches were around in the 1860's.

[Image: image_b_1_711.jpeg]

"There are few subjects that ignite more casual, uninformed bigotry and condescension from elites in this nation more than Dixie - Jonah Goldberg"
11-20-2012, 07:49 PM
(11-20-2012 07:43 PM)J. Beckert Wrote:  I don't know if stem wind watches were around in the 1860's.

Batteries?

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
11-20-2012, 08:17 PM
I don't think MTL's commentary on Tad was positive in nature. He was what we would call today a "special needs" child?

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-20-2012, 08:43 PM
(11-20-2012 07:43 PM)J. Beckert Wrote:  Here's Tad's watch, Jim. Robert kept it and it stayed in the family until it was donated to the Smithsonian by Lincoln Isham in 1958. I don't know if stem wind watches were around in the 1860's.

[Image: image_b_1_711.jpeg]

Thanks, John! You just saved me a lot of investigative work, as Nick Danger used to say!!!

--Jim
11-21-2012, 12:12 PM
(11-20-2012 08:17 PM)LincolnMan Wrote:  I don't think MTL's commentary on Tad was positive in nature. He was what we would call today a "special needs" child?

I have often wondered if Tad truly was a special needs child. If he was, he seems to have outgrown the problem as his studies in Europe were the same as other students.

The phrase "marked character" has always made me wonder if Mary was referring to something other than a learning disability. As a member and believer of the Presbyterian faith, Mary was fully schooled in the theory of predestination. I am not an expert on the teachings of religion in the 19th century, but my understanding of predestination is that it means "fate" or "destiny" as planned by God. Mary would have believed that Lincoln was elected because that was part of God's overall plan. Lincoln was killed because God willed Lincoln to die for the sins of the nation. Lincoln was 'marked' or destined to fullfill his mission. Is it possible she also thought Tad was "marked" for a greater good?
11-21-2012, 12:44 PM
Donna: interesting speculation. I hope that's what she meant.

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user