Gettysburg Address 150 years later
11-19-2012, 10:33 PM
Gettysburg Address 150 years later
I am new to your discussion forum but a big fan of all things Lincoln and the civil war. I have been reading all of your subject information both questions and answers and have learned so many new things about our president that I didnot know. My purpose for writing today is to tell everyone about the wonderful trip to Gettysburg this past weekend. To start my wife and I stayed at the Doubleday Inn which is the only B & B Located on the battlefield. We went to parade which was like no parade I have ever seen. then went to remembrance Illumination at National Cemetery. I am sure that all of you have seen this ceremony but this was first time for me and words cannot express how it made my wife and I feel. Saturday night my wife and I dressed in our civilwar attire attended our first ball. What a time we had. Had to leave on sunday so was unable to hear Mr. Lincoln give his Gettysburg address on monday. Thank you all for your expertise. Gary
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-20-2012, 12:07 AM
RE: Gettysburg Address 150 years later
Welcome. to the group. Gettysburg was a big deal still is and the emotions that oversome one when there are beyond anything anyone can describe. It has great magnitude. i hadnt realized it was 150 years ago. I hope to be able to go back to Gettysburg.
11-20-2012, 07:22 AM (This post was last modified: 11-20-2012 07:23 AM by BettyO.)
Welcome aboard ,Gary!

I'm so very glad you enjoyed Gettysburg. "Remembrance Day" is a wonderful celebration. I've been to Gettysburg and Remembrance Day lots of times. Another thing you may enjoy are the reenactments of the battle which are usually held around July 4th. They have a huge Civil War relic and book sale there at the same time and I used to go up for that every year - if you want ANYTHING Civil War, that is the place to go! It's the largest Civil War show in the US. To me, the "feel" of the battle and the repercussions of it are still vivid to this day - particularly out on the battlefield.

You will find many wonderful and friendly folk here, as well as respected scholars and professional historians who will intrigue you with their knowledge. It's a facinating study!

Looking forward to your posts!

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
11-20-2012, 08:54 AM (This post was last modified: 11-20-2012 09:04 AM by GARY POPOLO.)
(11-20-2012 12:07 AM)Ashley Norman Wrote:  Welcome. to the group. Gettysburg was a big deal still is and the emotions that oversome one when there are beyond anything anyone can describe. It has great magnitude. i hadnt realized it was 150 years ago. I hope to be able to go back to Gettysburg.

Thank you Ashley, Looking forward to future trips to Gettysburg! Happy Thanksgiving.

(11-20-2012 07:22 AM)BettyO Wrote:  Welcome aboard ,Gary!

I'm so very glad you enjoyed Gettysburg. "Remembrance Day" is a wonderful celebration. I've been to Gettysburg and Remembrance Day lots of times. Another thing you may enjoy are the reenactments of the battle which are usually held around July 4th. They have a huge Civil War relic and book sale there at the same time and I used to go up for that every year - if you want ANYTHING Civil War, that is the place to go! It's the largest Civil War show in the US. To me, the "feel" of the battle and the repercussions of it are still vivid to this day - particularly out on the battlefield.

You will find many wonderful and friendly folk here, as well as respected scholars and professional historians who will intrigue you with their knowledge. It's a facinating study!

Looking forward to your posts!
Thank you for your welcome BettyO. My wife and I are going to try and book a July trip back to Gettysburg. Would love to see reenactment of that size and at that place! Cannot imagine how moving that would be. Have a wonderful thanksgiving. I look forward to our future discussions.
11-20-2012, 09:53 AM
Welcome! Thanks for joining us! Your account of the time at Gettysburg brought me right back there (even though I'm at work). Smile

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-20-2012, 10:57 AM
Welcome Gary.

I've been to Gettysburg once, but it was after the anniversary. My wife was, well, let's just say she was not born to stomp through battlefields. When she heard the story that Devil's Den might have been named for a big snake, she told me the first snake she saw she was headed back to the inn and I could stay out there by myself. Unfortunately, no snakes were seen. Big Grin

Best
Rob

Abraham Lincoln in the only man, dead or alive, with whom I could have spent five years without one hour of boredom.
--Ida M. Tarbell

I want the respect of intelligent men, but I will choose for myself the intelligent.
--Carl Sandburg
11-20-2012, 12:15 PM
Like others, I have been to Gettysburg for Remembrance Day observances as well as re-enactments. Both are very moving experiences. Nothing brings a tear any faster, however, than hearing James Getty as President Lincoln reciting the Gettysburg Address. I am friends with Jim, and, in my opinion, he is the best of the best of Lincoln portrayers. I would also have liked to have been there on Monday to hear Steven Spielberg.

Our local news station carried a portion of that program, and right afterwards did a human interest story related to Mr. Lincoln. There is evidently a Hall of Presidents in Florida, which has a large statue of a seated Lincoln very similar to that in the Lincoln Memorial. For days, people could hear a kitten crying from somewhere inside the hollow statue.

The only way to get to it was to drill a hole large enough for a small firefighter to get into. He brought out a three-week-old gray kitten whose eyes were not even fully open. The kitten was turned over to a vet and was christened Abe. I bet that there will be a stampede of people wanting to adopt Abe.
11-20-2012, 01:58 PM
Thanks a bunch for a WONDERFUL story, Laurie!

How appropriate - and how grand that this little fellow was saved -- a happy ending all around!

Knowing how Mr. Lincoln loved kittens himself, I'm sure he'd be pleased as punch!

Here is a url to the complete story:

http://lovemeow.com/2012/11/3-week-old-k...l-of-fame/

[Image: abekitten.jpg]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Little "Abe" and his Rescuers

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
11-20-2012, 02:03 PM
(11-20-2012 12:15 PM)Laurie Verge Wrote:  Like others, I have been to Gettysburg for Remembrance Day observances as well as re-enactments. Both are very moving experiences. Nothing brings a tear any faster, however, than hearing James Getty as President Lincoln reciting the Gettysburg Address. I am friends with Jim, and, in my opinion, he is the best of the best of Lincoln portrayers. I would also have liked to have been there on Monday to hear Steven Spielberg.

Our local news station carried a portion of that program, and right afterwards did a human interest story related to Mr. Lincoln. There is evidently a Hall of Presidents in Florida, which has a large statue of a seated Lincoln very similar to that in the Lincoln Memorial. For days, people could hear a kitten crying from somewhere inside the hollow statue.

The only way to get to it was to drill a hole large enough for a small firefighter to get into. He brought out a three-week-old gray kitten whose eyes were not even fully open. The kitten was turned over to a vet and was christened Abe. I bet that there will be a stampede of people wanting to adopt Abe.
I have seen the hall of Presidents in florida but never got to see the kitten! But I did get the opportunity this past summer to hear Mr. Getty as President Lincoln do a declaration in Philadelphia. Mr. Getty was fantastic. best wishes Gary
11-20-2012, 02:16 PM
Laurie, thank you so much for posting that wonderful story. I got emotional reading it. I have several pages in my website suitable for younger children, and one of them deals with Abraham Lincoln and kittens. It is here.
11-20-2012, 02:42 PM (This post was last modified: 11-20-2012 03:43 PM by Gene C.)
Roger,

Your dog page is better!
http://rogerjnorton.com/Lincoln17.html

Regards - Fido

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
11-20-2012, 04:29 PM
Do I detect a bit of jealousy on the part of Fido? Dogs and cats can live in harmony. They have done so in my house throughout my life. The past five years have been the only times I have been without animals ruling my roost. I intend to keep it that way, even though I love them and miss their company.
11-20-2012, 04:38 PM (This post was last modified: 11-20-2012 04:40 PM by Gene C.)
Cats are fine. God just made us superior. Who am I to argue with that?

Fido

11-20-2012, 05:14 PM
Have you ever tried to convince a cat that they are inferior to dogs? For that matter, that they are inferior to humans...
11-20-2012, 05:25 PM (This post was last modified: 11-20-2012 05:53 PM by Gene C.)
There is none so blind as he who will not see.

Fido