The Lincoln Reader edited by Paul Angle
06-15-2024, 06:09 PM (This post was last modified: 06-15-2024 06:12 PM by Gene C.)
The Lincoln Reader edited by Paul Angle
This biography of Lincoln is a collection of writings from several different people. This is not an uncommon way of telling Lincoln's life story, but we rarely see this method used much anymore. Of the several books about Lincoln written that use this method, in my opinion this is one of the better ones.

Published in 1947, there are about 540 pages of text.
Among the writers contributing to this book are, Paul Angle, Issac Arnold, William Barton, David Homer Bates, Julia Taft Bayne, Albert Beveridge, Noah Brooks, Francis Carpenter, Lord Charnwood, John Hay, William Herndon, Emanuel Hertz, Elizabeth Keckley, Ward Hill Lamon, Margaret Leach, Lloyd Lewis, John Nicolay, Harry Pratt, James Randall, Carl Sandburg, Frederick Seward, Ida Tarbell, Benjamin Thomas, Gideon Welles and many others.

From all of these different writers, many who knew Lincoln personally, we get different perspectives on Lincoln's life. His struggles and his successes, his virtues and his short comings and the effect he has on other people. We get a better understanding of the time in which he lived, the stress and depression he dealt with, his steadfastness to his convictions, his faith in the people and his faith in God. This is a book worth adding to your Lincoln library

This book is available on Amazon, ABE Books, and other internet book stores.
I purchased my copy on line eight years ago for $1. The condition listed was very good, which it wasn't. It was in fair condition, but for only $1, it was readable. I got my moneys worth out of it. I will probably buy a better copy when I find one.

If you've read this, I'd like you to share your thoughts.

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply