Theatre on the American Frontier By Thomas Bogar
11-27-2023, 11:26 AM
Theatre on the American Frontier By Thomas Bogar
New Book by member Thomas Bogar

Theatre on the American Frontier
https://www.amazon.com/Theatre-American-...C93&sr=8-3

Looks interesting.
Good luck.

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-27-2023, 01:08 PM
RE: Theatre on the American Frontier By Thomas Bogar
(11-27-2023 11:26 AM)Gene C Wrote:  New Book by member Thomas Bogar

Theatre on the American Frontier
https://www.amazon.com/Theatre-American-...C93&sr=8-3

Looks interesting.
Good luck.

Thank you, Gene. The book only contains two tangential mentions of Abraham Lincoln, so I had hesitated posting on this forum.

Tom
11-29-2023, 03:35 PM
Congrats, Tom! I have ordered it. Hope all is well with you. Bill
11-29-2023, 04:41 PM (This post was last modified: 11-29-2023 04:42 PM by Rob Wick.)
Thanks Tom. Now I have one more book to buy.

Seriously, congratulations!

Best
Rob

Abraham Lincoln in the only man, dead or alive, with whom I could have spent five years without one hour of boredom.
--Ida M. Tarbell

I want the respect of intelligent men, but I will choose for myself the intelligent.
--Carl Sandburg
12-08-2023, 11:53 AM
Looks interesting, Tom. If it's as good as "Backstage," then you've got another great read. I've added it to my Christmas list.

Doesn't look like it falls within your time range, but I've read everything I can find about the shooting of actors Maurice Barrymore and Ben Porter in 1879. Not long after they completed a performance in Marshall, Texas, they went into a cafe/saloon where a notorious "railroad detective" (aka hired gun) shot them when they protested his insults of an actress accompanying them. Porter died. Barrymore nearly died and later fathered Lionel, Ethel, and John Barrymore. The shooter pulled political strings and got off.
12-10-2023, 02:39 PM
(12-08-2023 11:53 AM)Wesley Harris Wrote:  Looks interesting, Tom. If it's as good as "Backstage," then you've got another great read. I've added it to my Christmas list.

Doesn't look like it falls within your time range, but I've read everything I can find about the shooting of actors Maurice Barrymore and Ben Porter in 1879. Not long after they completed a performance in Marshall, Texas, they went into a cafe/saloon where a notorious "railroad detective" (aka hired gun) shot them when they protested his insults of an actress accompanying them. Porter died. Barrymore nearly died and later fathered Lionel, Ethel, and John Barrymore. The shooter pulled political strings and got off.

Funny you should mention the Porter killing. I keep running into it in my research, but there really isn't enough there for a book, or even a long article. But I agree it's a fascinating, tragic incident.