Lincoln Home
11-13-2012, 11:57 AM
Lincoln Home
Thanks to Bob Cook for sending this photo.

[Image: richardnixon.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-13-2012, 06:35 PM
RE: Lincoln Home
I didn't know ole' "tricky *****" Nixon did that!

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-13-2012, 08:19 PM
I love the fact that the site doesn't understand various words in context.

Best
Rob

Abraham Lincoln in the only man, dead or alive, with whom I could have spent five years without one hour of boredom.
--Ida M. Tarbell

I want the respect of intelligent men, but I will choose for myself the intelligent.
--Carl Sandburg
11-17-2012, 02:53 PM
What did Nixon sign fo the Lincoln house im a bout lost on this one
Thanks
A
11-17-2012, 02:55 PM (This post was last modified: 11-17-2012 02:56 PM by Gene C.)
A bill declaring Lincoln's home a National Historic Site
(who is your Avitar? I can't quite make it out.)

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
11-18-2012, 12:29 AM
Oh ok. Thank you for telling me.
I didnt know his Home was a National Historic Site.

My Avitar is Olivia De Haviland she is in Gone With the wind , Hush, Hush sweet Charlotte, and Roning Hood.
She Is one of my Favorite Actresses.
11-18-2012, 01:11 PM
Ashley,

Last week, the show 60 Minutes had a segment on the author David McCullough. He was in Paris talking about his latest book, The Greater Journey (which I loved!). In the course of his piece, he was actually with Olivia De Haviland, who resides in Paris. She is well into her 90s, but looks about 70, and was as gracious and active as ever. One of the last grande dames of the 20th century, IMO.

Re Mr. McCullough: In his closing statements, he referred to the modern generation as being historically illiterate. He told of giving a lecture recently at a Midwestern college and having a co-ed approach him afterwards to say that, for the first time, she learned that "the thirteen colonies were all on the East Coast." Even my special needs students back in the 1960s learned that much!

McCullough then urged parents and grandparents to spend more time filling in the blanks of history that our educational system has been leaving out. My thought on that was "I wonder how many parents and grandparents know enough American history to do that..."
11-18-2012, 02:29 PM
Wow thank you for tellling me that Laurie. The last I heard Olivia was living in a nursing home in California I think she about 95 or 96 some where in that area of age. she was so very elegant I love her acting skills and she was so beautiful and still is. she aged very well. Ill have to look up that segment of 60 Minutes.

I know I dont know as much about history over all but I try to learn as much as I can I learn something everyday and I know i know more then most my age but i dont see how it will hurt me to keep learnign about history. Its one subject I just tcan't get enough of.
I only hope to keep learning. Knowledge is a powerful thing and I hope to learn as much as possible.
11-18-2012, 02:40 PM
Quote:I know I dont know as much about history over all but I try to learn as much as I can I learn something everyday and I know i know more then most my age but i dont see how it will hurt me to keep learnign about history. Its one subject I just tcan't get enough of.
I only hope to keep learning. Knowledge is a powerful thing and I hope to learn as much as possible.

Then you will. You already have the drive and desire. All you need to do now is the reading and studying. Enjoy the journey!

Best
Rob

Abraham Lincoln in the only man, dead or alive, with whom I could have spent five years without one hour of boredom.
--Ida M. Tarbell

I want the respect of intelligent men, but I will choose for myself the intelligent.
--Carl Sandburg
11-18-2012, 02:48 PM
(11-18-2012 02:40 PM)Rob Wick Wrote:  
Quote:I know I dont know as much about history over all but I try to learn as much as I can I learn something everyday and I know i know more then most my age but i dont see how it will hurt me to keep learnign about history. Its one subject I just tcan't get enough of.

Then you will. You already have the drive and desire. All you need to do now is the reading and studying. Enjoy the journey!

Best
Rob

Thank you. History is my passion and this site helps me to know I am not alone in my questo for knowledge. it makes it more interesting to have a group to share with and learn from as well.
Thank you,
Ashley
11-18-2012, 08:02 PM
You are way ahead of the game by at least showing an interest. I have loved history all my life because I had a mother and grandmother who loved it and made every effort to take me to historical sites, buy me historical materials, etc.

One of my staff members at Surratt House, and a close friend for forty years, never enjoyed history as a child or young adult. When she got the bug, however, it was non-stop. She is a recognized authority on the Lincoln assassination and on the history of Washington, D.C.

I could count in the thousands the amount of visitors to Surratt House that I have heard tell me or our guides that they "never liked history in school." We've got to do our darnedest to change that!
11-18-2012, 09:24 PM
My grandfather had a great I should say has a great love of history and he later on into his teaching career became a history professor. Through him I learned to love and appreciate history. I followed after him in the fact that I emerse my self into histpry and try to learn as much as I can and this site talking with people who also enjoy history make it that much more fun and enjoyable.
11-18-2012, 09:29 PM
Every president, it seems, strives to "get right with Lincoln." Nixon was present when Carl Sandburg gave his speech on Lincoln in Congress-he was Vice-President at the time. So, I'm sure he relished another opportunity to do something concerning Lincoln.

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-18-2012, 10:06 PM
(11-18-2012 09:29 PM)LincolnMan Wrote:  Every president, it seems, strives to "get right with Lincoln." Nixon was present when Carl Sandburg gave his speech on Lincoln in Congress-he was Vice-President at the time. So, I'm sure he relished another opportunity to do something concerning Lincoln.

Do you know of any sites where I may find the speech that Carl Sbadburg made so i can read what he said?
11-18-2012, 10:47 PM
(11-18-2012 12:29 AM)Ashley Norman Wrote:  Oh ok. Thank you for telling me.
I didnt know his Home was a National Historic Site.

My Avitar is Olivia De Haviland she is in Gone With the wind , Hush, Hush sweet Charlotte, and Roning Hood.
She Is one of my Favorite Actresses.

I think Olivia De Haviland's best performance was in "The Heiress." One of my favorite old black and white movies from the 1940s. It's amazing that she is still going strong up in her 90s!

Craig