Robert E. Lee, Rock Star
11-11-2012, 11:45 AM
Robert E. Lee, Rock Star
I was reading an article about Petraeus in the Daily Mail and I came across this reader's comment. Does anyone know if Lee was adored like that? It seems plausible.

"Give me a powerful man with a large ego and a wife who has 'let herself go,' and I'll give you an adulterer. - Livi , Florida, United States, 11/11/2012 11:30*******Livi, I am happy to tell you that you are wrong. There have been MANY men in powerful positions who have resisted the temptation that they all know is coming. There are countless modern examples but being a history buff and Southern, and since this is a military situation, Robert E. Lee pops to mind.(He is a hero to every modern day general) The photos may not show it but in his day, he was a true rock star and women virtually swooned around him - even straight men were taken aback by his good looks and likeability. He was superintendent at West Point before he commanded The Army of Northern Virginia and was "a star" all his life. His wife was in a wheelchair by the time she was in her 40's with arthritis and looked like his mother. He NEVER took the bait. There are countless others as well."

- Lisa , Charlotte, 11/11/2012 12:19

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...z2BvNFmJiH
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-11-2012, 01:41 PM
RE: Robert E. Lee, Rock Star
Take a look at how the men cheer him in "Gettysburg" the film. And the many "Lee to the rear" incidents when he rode forward to lead a counterattack at a critical monument--as he did after Pickett';s charge when it was feared a Yankee counter attack might be coming. At the Wilderness, the Texas Brigade refused to move until Lee rode to the rear, then it launched an attack the stopped the Yankee onslaught. He was a rock star for the time. . .
12-03-2012, 10:48 PM
Why was he sometimes referred to as "Granny Lee?" That doesn't sound flattering.

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-03-2012, 10:58 PM
Just think how many boys and girls had and still have the name Lee in the south. "Rock star" I'm afraid belittles the man.
Really what rock star comes near Marse Robert? I mean no offense. He was a true gentleman. This is coming from one raised in the south not a historian.

My sister was Lee Anne, grand daughter of Mildred Lee whose brother Bobby Lee and on so forth. No Lees in the family before the war. (These are middle names...)
12-03-2012, 11:36 PM
(12-03-2012 10:58 PM)Mark MacKenzie Wrote:  Just think how many boys and girls had and still have the name Lee in the south. "Rock star" I'm afraid belittles the man.

So true. The Dukes of Hazard didn't name their car after Elvis.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/pict...ml?image=9

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
12-04-2012, 05:57 AM
(11-11-2012 01:41 PM)william l. richter Wrote:  Take a look at how the men cheer him in "Gettysburg" the film.

I agree, Bill. Here's a great scene from the movie.
12-04-2012, 09:07 AM
(12-03-2012 10:58 PM)Mark MacKenzie Wrote:  Just think how many boys and girls had and still have the name Lee in the south. "Rock star" I'm afraid belittles the man.

I don't think the person making the comment in the article was trying to belittle Lee since she praised him for NOT having the life style we associate with rock stars. She meant that he even though he was a charismatic leader, he still managed to live an honorable life. Charisma means "A rare personal quality attributed to leaders who arouse fervent popular devotion and enthusiasm." http://www.thefreedictionary.com/charisma

"Rock star" can also mean that a person is outstanding in their work.

I actually like the term since it gives me an idea of how much devotion Lee inspired. Bill, what biography of Lee do you recommend?
12-04-2012, 05:07 PM
(12-03-2012 11:36 PM)Gene C Wrote:  

So true. The Dukes of Hazard didn't name their car after Elvis.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/pict...ml?image=9

Found in an antique store just today! Selling for fifty bucks.

[Image: photo96454939d5c13b5e45.jpg]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Bill Nash
12-04-2012, 05:41 PM
You bought it of coarse?

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
12-04-2012, 05:43 PM
I did! But I got him down to $40.00.

Bill Nash
12-04-2012, 05:59 PM
Bill,
I'd say you got a good deal! I remember that show when I was a kid.

Craig
12-04-2012, 06:30 PM
Wow, this brings back memories. The General Lee was my son's favorite toy along with the Ninja Turtles. I hope I still have the car packed away somewhere.
12-04-2012, 06:38 PM
Those toys fetch a huge price nowadays. This car is made of metal and is over a foot long-still in the original box.

Bill Nash
12-04-2012, 09:46 PM
Grant was a bigger rock star
12-04-2012, 09:50 PM
Yes, I think I did get a good deal!

Bill Nash