Surratt Society Meeting & Conference 2023
04-17-2023, 06:07 PM
Surratt Society Meeting & Conference 2023
The Surratt Society Annual Meeting and Conference will be held on Saturday, April 22, 2023, at 2:00 p.m. ET via Zoom. The meeting and conference is free and open to all; HOWEVER, YOU MUST PREREGISTER on the Surratt Society's website to get the Zoom link: https://www.surrattmuseum.org/annual-sur...conference

As mandated by the Surratt Society Bylaws, there will be a brief business meeting for the election of officers, followed by two presentations.

Professor Kate Clifford Larson, author of The Assassin’s Accomplice: Mary Surratt and the Plot to Kill Abraham Lincoln, will speak on “Civil War Memory and the Reimagining of Mary Surratt.”

​Dr. Larson is the Writer-in-Residence at Furman University and a New York Times Best-Selling Author. Her latest release, Walk with Me: A Biography of Fannie Lou
Hamer (Oxford, 2021), was named one of the Best Biographies of 2021 by Kirkus. She is also the author of Bound for the Promised Land: Harriet Tubman, Portrait of an American Hero (2004); Harriet Tubman: A Reference Guide to Her Life and Works (2022); and Rosemary: The Hidden Kennedy Daughter (2015). She has
served as the Consulting Historian for many film, print, and exhibit projects, including Harriet Tubman Underground Railroad State and National Park and Harriet Tubman Underground Railroad Byway and All-American Road, Eastern Shore, Maryland; and Harriet Tubman Home and National Park, Auburn, New York.

Julian Sher will speak on his book, The North Star—Canada and the Civil War Plots Against Lincoln, which will be released on April 25th. It has been praised by assassination historians, including Ed Steers and Dave Taylor. Sher’s latest book looks at how the Confederacy utilized Canada to their advantage, as well as at the lives of several Canadians who played instrumental roles in the war and in the pursuit of John Wilkes Booth.

Julian Sher is an award-winning journalist and the author of six widely-acclaimed books, including White Hoods: Canada’s Ku Klux Klan and “Until You Are Dead”: Steven Truscott’s Long Ride into History. As an investigative reporter, he worked for The Toronto Star and The Globe and Mail. He was the Senior Producer of CBC’s The Fifth Estate, Canada’s premier investigative TV program for five years. He has directed and written major documentaries, covering wars and intrigue across the globe. His documentary Nuclear Jihad, produced for The New York Times and CBC, won the broadcast equivalent of the Pulitzer Prize. His latest film, Ghosts of Afghanistan, won three top Canadian Screen Awards, including Best Documentary. He is also active in protecting media freedoms, as a Senior Fellow at Toronto Metropolitan University’s Centre for Free Expression and working with Journalists for Human Rights.

Again, ALL are welcome, but you must preregister.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-17-2023, 08:59 PM
RE: Surratt Society Meeting & Conference 2023
Looks like two excellent speakers.
I hope I can remember to tune in.

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
04-18-2023, 06:16 PM
Thank you to all members of the Surratt Society who worked on the Annual Meeting and Conference taking place this Saturday, April 22, 2023.
I'm a Lifetime member but have never been able to attend the annual conference in person due to travel distance. I'm excited to be attending this free Zoom conference open to all who preregister.
04-23-2023, 12:18 PM
Thanks to Bill Binzel and the rest of the Surratt Society leadership for hosting the above mentioned speakers. They were great!

I do miss seeing, in person, all the friends I made attending the annual conference, but was at least glad to see some familiar faces in the online format. I look forward to future programs!!
04-24-2023, 10:33 AM
Thank you, Gene, Anita and Scott. The presentations (thank you, Dr. Kate Clifford Larson and author Julian Sher!) were recorded and we are working on getting them posted on the Surratt Society's website. Once that is done, I will post the link here so that those who have an interest, but were not able to be on the Zoom, can see them. Both were excellent.
04-27-2023, 05:51 PM
I second everyone here - both speakers were great, and especially Julian Sher presented an unfamiliar territory (of the saga) in an entertaining way!