Professor Who Called Students ‘Vectors of Disease’ in Video Is Suspended
01-17-2022, 12:48 PM
New York Times - January 17, 2022

Mr. Bacon, the faculty association’s president, said in a statement that Professor Mehler’s classes “are very popular, in particular because he challenges students’ assumptions and makes the class extremely interesting.”

“In fact,” Mr. Bacon said, “I am told that we have had administrators visit his class and come away with statements like, ‘I wish I’d had a professor like you when I was in college.’”

"So very difficult a matter is it to trace and find out the truth of anything by history." -- Plutarch
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-17-2022, 01:11 PM (This post was last modified: 01-17-2022 01:13 PM by Steve.)
RE: Professor Who Called Students ‘Vectors of Disease’ in Video Is Suspended
I don't understand the context of this post or what exactly this professor supposedly did.
01-17-2022, 02:09 PM (This post was last modified: 01-17-2022 02:45 PM by Gene C.)
Here is an article from the Washington Post that will hopefully explain some of what David is referring to.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/20...ovid-rant/

Prof. Mehler's video, which contributed to his dismissal, is full of profanity, so I decided not to post the link to it.

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
01-17-2022, 05:39 PM
I'm not sure if what this professor was trying to do was a joke, but it was tasteless and quite apalling.

They have killed Papa dead
01-17-2022, 05:47 PM
(01-17-2022 05:39 PM)GustD45 Wrote:  I'm not sure if what this professor was trying to do was a joke, but it was tasteless and quite apalling.

Agreed!
01-17-2022, 07:00 PM
I really couldn't care less about profanity. I have a difficult time even caring about what he said. Young people are vectors of disease, especially in this day and age. When I was in college I had plenty of professors who could have been considered certifiable, but one accepted it as part of the atmosphere. There was the hippie who lived in a tent during the summer and moved to a cave in the winter. There was the lesbian professor who announced that men in her class would likely never pasa no matter how hard they worked (I finished with a C). Saying something stupid is not enough to fire anyone. Given that he is so close to retirement, I doubt he gives a rat's behind whatever decision they make. Plus, I imagine the lawsuit that the university would face will put him in the "let's quietly let him run out the clock."

Best
Rob

Abraham Lincoln in the only man, dead or alive, with whom I could have spent five years without one hour of boredom.
--Ida M. Tarbell

I want the respect of intelligent men, but I will choose for myself the intelligent.
--Carl Sandburg
01-18-2022, 12:21 AM
(01-17-2022 05:47 PM)RJNorton Wrote:  
(01-17-2022 05:39 PM)GustD45 Wrote:  I'm not sure if what this professor was trying to do was a joke, but it was tasteless and quite apalling.

Agreed!

I apologize for the post that I made to the story. I did not view the video and was unaware of the vulgar language in the absolute extreme.

I thought that the professor, who was 74, was very genuinely concerned about his health and life. [I did not provide a hyperlink to the NYTimes story because of all the complaints that a hyperlink to NYTimes articles had been useless.]

The New York Times story contained the following additional information:

Ferris State University does not require its students to get a Covid-19 vaccine to attend classes.

Professor Mehler tells students that he is old enough to be their grandfather, and that if they care about their grandfather, they should stay away from him. But if they don’t care “whether Grandpa lives or dies, by all means, come to class.”

In short, I thought the story was about an elderly professor who had taught classes with much appreciation for 27 years but was now being required to teach in a life or death situation for himself.

Gene posted the hyperlink to the Washington Post story which reads in pertinent part:

Mehler is the latest example of a professor expressing concern about returning to in-person learning during spikes in the number of coronavirus cases. Professors in Georgia told The Post in September — when the delta variant sent cases in the United States soaring — that they were out of jobs after refusing to return to the classroom to teach.

Professor Mehler's response was EXTREME in vulgarity, and I believe needlessly so. But when one is given the "No Choice" choice by college administrators of teaching students not vaccinated or losing your employment permanently for refusing to do so at 74 years of age (and possibly in poor health), your options for complaint are few.

"So very difficult a matter is it to trace and find out the truth of anything by history." -- Plutarch
01-18-2022, 01:30 PM
Los Angeles Times news alert January 18, 2022:

California surpasses 7 million coronavirus cases, adding 1 million in one week

01-18-2022, 06:45 PM (This post was last modified: 01-19-2022 08:07 AM by Gene C.)
(01-17-2022 07:00 PM)Rob Wick Wrote:  Saying something stupid is not enough to fire anyone.

Best
Rob

I'll disagree with you on that minor point, although it's not the only thing in your post that I disagree with.
A teacher at any institution of learning should be held to a higher standard than those of us who are unedicated, and shold certainley have enough knowlege (and professionalism) to have a greater vocabulary than using the "f" word over and over. I'm flabbergasted that he could be so foolish, How are the students suppose to no better? What damage has this professer done to the reputation of the school he used to teach at. He just set back their fun raisin eforts a few $$$

it's one thing to say something stupid, but he intentionally said some things that were stupid. To bad he doesn't care. Maybe that is one of the reasons our children's education aint as good as it used to be. He doesn't care about something he should care about. I can understand he is concerned about his health and his exposure to Covid. I am too. But I don't get on the internet and make a fool of myself, except here of course.

(And my spell checker don't work write Big Grin.)

01-19-2022, 11:56 AM
(01-18-2022 06:45 PM)Gene C Wrote:  A teacher at any institution of learning should be held to a higher standard than those of us who are unedicated, and shold certainley have enough knowlege (and professionalism) to have a greater vocabulary than using the "f" word over and over. I'm flabbergasted that he could be so foolish, How are the students suppose to no better? What damage has this professer done to the reputation of the school he used to teach at. He just set back their fun raisin eforts a few $$$

Gene, I would think that an employee in many professions, not just education, would be fired for going on a profane rant such as this one.
01-19-2022, 01:27 PM
Lots to unpack here,. but I just got home from. having my right eye lasered, so I have to wait until it clears to respond.

Best
Rob

Abraham Lincoln in the only man, dead or alive, with whom I could have spent five years without one hour of boredom.
--Ida M. Tarbell

I want the respect of intelligent men, but I will choose for myself the intelligent.
--Carl Sandburg
01-19-2022, 01:31 PM
Rob,

Hope you are better soon

01-19-2022, 05:48 PM
Thanks Gene, I truly appreciate it. By the way, the1950s called, and they want you to come back. Just remember, "Leave it to Beaver" is not real.Big Grin

Seriously, I guess I'm inured to cursing because every newsroom I ever worked in the language was as blue as the sky. I always thought it ironic that people who made their living with words only knew four-letter ones.

To me, the main issue is not the language he uses. It is not his job to set an example for his students. It is his job to teach them. I have news for you. Those students knew that language from a very early age. In loco Parentis is dead and long-buried and rightfully so.

The main issue stems from this seemingly never-ending battle between people who take COVID seriously and the selfish people who don't. I am fully vaccinated and have my booster and I still wear masks and take every precaution I can. I understand why this guy is so angry. We're talking about his life. He has every right to express himself this way.

By the way, I'll stipulate that saying something stupid can get you fired if you'll stipulate that the next time a right wing buffoon says something homophobic, racist, or misogynistic that he/she will be fired and no one will yell "cancel culture" or "woke." I won't hold my breath.

Best
Rob

--Ida M. Tarbell

--Carl Sandburg
01-20-2022, 09:14 AM (This post was last modified: 01-20-2022 09:15 AM by Gene C.)
(01-19-2022 05:48 PM)Rob Wick Wrote:  To me, the main issue is not the language he uses. It is not his job to set an example for his students. It is his job to teach them. I have news for you. Those students knew that language from a very early age. In loco Parentis is dead and long-buried and rightfully so.

Best
Rob

We disagree again.
A teachers job isn't confined to the class room. Unfortunately, his example is teaching values that has been determined to be detrimental and harmful to the values and ideals the school (his employer) want to project.

We all teach in one way or another through our example.
What lesson are we leaving for others to learn?
I wonder what lessons Prof. Mehler left with his "vectors of disease"

I've got to get back to the 50's now. Lassie is barking, which means Timmy fell down the well....again!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnDRxX3knUw

01-20-2022, 10:28 AM
You would have thought that by now Timmy would have learned to stay away from wells. Guess he didn't have a very good teacher.Big Grin

Best
Rob

--Ida M. Tarbell

--Carl Sandburg