Welcome to our ‘new’ democracy.
11-04-2021, 01:03 PM
Welcome to our ‘new’ democracy.
New York Times story (November 4, 2021): Who is Glenn Youngkin and How Did He Win the Virginia Governor's Race?

One year ago, Glenn Youngkin was well known in the world of high finance, but almost a complete cipher in politics.

After a remarkable upset in the race for governor of Virginia, Mr. Youngkin is the newest star of the Republican Party.

His ability to direct multiple messages — red meat to the G.O.P. base via interviews with right-wing media, and a less divisive pitch to swing voters — will serve as a blueprint for his party in the midterms.

With a personal fortune estimated by Forbes at $440 million, Mr. Youngkin contributed $20 million to his own bid. That lavish sum paid for top-tier G.O.P. consultants and an avalanche of TV ads, and it prompted speculation that Mr. Youngkin’s sights were set beyond Virginia, where governors must step down after a single term.

While he has promised to end a sales tax on groceries and to cut regulations to spur new businesses, Mr. Youngkin’s best known pledge is to ban critical race theory in schools on Day 1.

We the People can thank the U. S. Supreme Court, by means of the infamous Citizens United ruling, for our 'new' democracy.

Please note: Mr. Youngkin amassed a 31.5-acre property around his family home in Great Falls, in the Washington suburbs, which he and his wife developed into a horse farm and a riding arena. (They received a 95 percent tax reduction in 2020 after petitioning to have the property designated an agricultural preserve.)

I wonder if this “95 percent tax reduction” agricultural preserve is open to the Public.

"So very difficult a matter is it to trace and find out the truth of anything by history." -- Plutarch
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-04-2021, 04:57 PM
RE: Welcome to our ‘new’ democracy.
The petition could have been denied.
I can't say I blame him for finding a legal way to cut his taxes.

I may go out this weekend and buy some birdseed and see if I can get my taxes lowered by having my property designated as a bird sanctuary.

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
11-04-2021, 09:47 PM
(11-04-2021 04:57 PM)Gene C Wrote:  I can't say I blame him for finding a legal way to cut his taxes.

When you have $440 million, you have People that will do that.

Good luck with the bird sanctuary idea. I will come to see you on Visitors Day, Gene, if things don't work out well.

"So very difficult a matter is it to trace and find out the truth of anything by history." -- Plutarch
11-25-2021, 06:34 AM
Some of you might have seen this before....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e97kq2XflKE

“The honest man, tho' e'er sae poor,
Is king o' men for a' that” Robert Burns