Remembering Laurie
03-01-2021, 08:45 PM
Remembering Laurie
The Forum was down on February 23 and that was the day Laurie passed. There will never be another one like her.

I trust Roger won't mind , but his quote to me " I do not believe she will ever be replaced. How true.

Laurie, you are missed by all.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-01-2021, 11:16 PM
RE: Remembering Laurie
I agree. Laurie was one of a kind. She was one of the smartest and kindest people I have ever known. She was a wealth of information and always ready to share. I will never forget her kindness to me.
03-02-2021, 04:33 PM
It has been a year already? She is greatly missed.

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-02-2021, 05:07 PM
I imagine Laurie reading the latest Surratt Courier on the website!
03-02-2021, 11:07 PM
To remember and honor Laurie, I suggest the following: either send a contribution to the Surratt Society to keep the articles written by Laurie readily available; or a contribution to the Lincoln Discussion Symposium to keep the wit and wisdom of Laurie Verge in her thousands of posts available to all. If you would like the address of either, please send me a private message.
03-02-2021, 11:45 PM
A tribute to the foresight of Laurie Verge from February, 2014

02-10-2014, 11:20 AM Post: #97

David Lockmiller Online
Legendary Member

RE: Things Lincoln never said

(02-09-2014 05:43 PM)L Verge Wrote:

As sort of a follow-up to your comments, David, I heard a news report last week about a study being conducted in Sweden (I think that was the country) on the effects that the internet and social media are having on this and future generations. The conductors of the study contend that the technological age of information is actually going to destroy humans' ability to think for ourselves. Bad information will be spread from pillar to post and passed through cyberspace without anyone questioning the sources and reliability.

Frankly, I can see that already happening with some people around me - including my straight-A grandson, whom I have to force to fact check. And, I will also admit that it was difficult to pull me away from my home set of Funk & Wagnalls of the 1950s in order to check out other sources.

David Lockmiller wrote in response:

That's the very point that I have been trying so long to make about the "Lincoln" movie. People are going to "weight" the source of information when they have so many choices to make as to credibility on any given subject. A Spielberg movie on "Lincoln"? That will be the Gold standard. Even "60 Minutes" (another "Gold Standard" of truth, except for the Benghazi story) began Leslie Stahl's broadcast story on the "Lincoln" movie with the words: “The film is filled with things about our 16th President that we, who are not Lincoln scholars, did not know.” After viewing both, what do you think the response would be if you asked your straight-A grandson if there were any problems with historical facts in Spielberg's "Lincoln" movie?

"So very difficult a matter is it to trace and find out the truth of anything by history." -- Plutarch
03-03-2021, 11:18 AM
Laurie made more posts than many forum members may realize. Most folks knew her as L. Verge (9,092 posts).

But back in 2013 something went wrong with her account. From 2012-2013 her account was under the name Laurie Verge (1,229 posts).

So, in all, she made a grand total of 10,321 posts!
02-23-2022, 02:37 PM
Remembering 2 years ago the passing of Laurie. I was very fortunate to have had both phone and emails.
I believe it is accurate to say on behalf of the forum: Laurie, we miss you.
02-23-2022, 06:41 PM
It is - I miss and think of her so often. What a gap she left.
12-31-2022, 06:41 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about this. I've not been on here for a long while. Condolences to all her family and friends.

‘I’ve danced at Abraham Lincoln’s birthday bash... I’ve peaked.’
Leigh Boswell - The Open Doorway.
http://earthkandi.blogspot.co.uk/
12-31-2022, 07:11 PM
I thought of Laurie earlier this month when I made the following post:

Richmond’s Last Confederate Statue Is Removed

The last Confederate statue in Richmond, Va., was removed on Monday, and the remains beneath it of Ambrose P. Hill, the Confederate lieutenant general who was memorialized, were set to be transferred to a cemetery, an official said. Ambrose P. Hill, the Confederate lieutenant general served under the Confederate general Robert E. Lee in the Army of Northern Virginia. He was killed outside of Petersburg, Va., a week before Lee’s surrender at Appomattox in 1865.

The removal followed a series of court rulings, in which the indirect descendants of Hill opposed the city’s plans to take the statue down. Near the end of the court proceedings, the two sides agreed that the general’s remains should be interred in a cemetery in Culpeper, Va., but the indirect descendants wanted a say on where the statue would go, hoping to move it to Cedar Mountain Battlefield nearby.

In October, Judge D. Eugene Cheek Sr., of the Circuit Court of the City of Richmond, said that the city had the right to dismantle the Hill statue and donate it to the Black History Museum and Cultural Center of Virginia. The City Council had decided that the statue is going to the Black History Museum.

I was wondering, if Laurie had been still alive, what Laurie would have done to stop this injustice and make certain that the statue of Confederate Lieutenant General Ambrose P. Hill would have been moved to Cedar Mountain Battlefield, as his indirect descendants wanted to do so.

History is being lost, unnecessarily.

Laurie was such a good person!

"So very difficult a matter is it to trace and find out the truth of anything by history." -- Plutarch
01-01-2023, 04:05 PM
Laurie was a force of nature, and I will forever be grateful that we were friends. That her wisdom (and wit!) lives on, on this Forum, is a tribute to Roger Norton. Thank you, Roger!!!
01-01-2023, 10:20 PM
Laurie definitely would have had a thing or two to say. For sure!

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user