Pulitzer Board Rescinds New York Times’s ‘Caliphate’ Citation
12-23-2020, 01:03 PM

No comments were permitted by the New York Times to the story. What a pity! I would have commented about the possibility of the Pulitzer Board rescinding the 2020 Pulitzer Prize for Commentary won by the "1619 Project."

The New York Times also omitted any reference in the headlines to the fifth paragraph of the story:

“Caliphate” won two journalism honors in 2019, an Overseas Press Club prize and a Peabody Award. On Friday, when The Times announced the results of its review, the Overseas Press Club rescinded its award, and the executive director of the Peabody Awards accepted The Times’s offer to return the Peabody.

The Peabody website reads in pertinent part:

"The Peabody Awards highlight work that demonstrates how the media can defend the public interest, encourage empathy and expand its audience’s understanding of the world around them."

Perhaps the New York Times should also offer to return the 2020 Pulitzer Prize for Commentary at this time.

"So very difficult a matter is it to trace and find out the truth of anything by history." -- Plutarch
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-23-2020, 02:12 PM
RE: Pulitzer Board Rescinds New York Times’s ‘Caliphate’ Citation
Yawn.

Best
Rob

Abraham Lincoln in the only man, dead or alive, with whom I could have spent five years without one hour of boredom.
--Ida M. Tarbell

I want the respect of intelligent men, but I will choose for myself the intelligent.
--Carl Sandburg
12-23-2020, 04:02 PM
Wow Rob, I thought you were a journalism major and had worked at a newspaper at one time.
While this article may not be as exciting as those by America's favorite TV newspaper journalist, Karl Kolchak in The Night Stalker, the Times article was, all things considered, newsworthy.

The Night Stalker would have done better if they had had a better theme song. Here is the movie that led to the TV show. Hard to believe this was 48 years ago.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0isH8D5Lcs

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
12-23-2020, 05:06 PM
(12-23-2020 02:12 PM)Rob Wick Wrote:  Yawn.

Best
Rob

Two Yawn's

"So very difficult a matter is it to trace and find out the truth of anything by history." -- Plutarch
12-23-2020, 10:43 PM (This post was last modified: 12-23-2020 10:44 PM by Rob Wick.)
Quote:Wow Rob, I thought you were a journalism major and had worked at a newspaper at one time.

You're half right. I did work at several newspapers, but my degree is in history. I never took a journalism class in college. My journalism school was learning from an old, experienced editor who knew the difference between news and nonsense.

Having never been impressed with the Pulitzers, which is basically a trade association award, I couldn't care less whether the Times gets one or not. It's all an inside baseball situation that means absolutely nothing to the general populace.

Quote:No comments were permitted by the New York Times to the story. What a pity! I would have commented about the possibility of the Pulitzer Board rescinding the 2020 Pulitzer Prize for Commentary won by the "1619 Project."

Yeah, that would have showed them.

Best
Rob

Abraham Lincoln in the only man, dead or alive, with whom I could have spent five years without one hour of boredom.
--Ida M. Tarbell

I want the respect of intelligent men, but I will choose for myself the intelligent.
--Carl Sandburg
12-24-2020, 10:48 AM
(12-23-2020 10:43 PM)Rob Wick Wrote:  
Quote:No comments were permitted by the New York Times to the story. What a pity! I would have commented about the possibility of the Pulitzer Board rescinding the 2020 Pulitzer Prize for Commentary won by the "1619 Project."

Yeah, that would have showed them.

Best
Rob

The New York Times had to write a story.

What would you have written if you had been assigned the task?

12-24-2020, 12:14 PM
What I would have written is as irrelevant as this non-story is.

Best
Rob

--Ida M. Tarbell

--Carl Sandburg
12-24-2020, 03:49 PM
(12-24-2020 12:14 PM)Rob Wick Wrote:  What I would have written is as irrelevant as this non-story is.

Best
Rob

Is that what you have called "side-stepping?"

12-24-2020, 04:38 PM
No, because you're the only one who gives a damn about this.

Best
Rob

--Ida M. Tarbell

--Carl Sandburg
12-25-2020, 10:23 AM
(12-24-2020 04:38 PM)Rob Wick Wrote:  No, because you're the only one who gives a damn about this.

Best
Rob

"The Peabody Awards highlight work that demonstrates how the media can defend the public interest, encourage empathy and expand its audience’s understanding of the world around them."

12-25-2020, 01:26 PM
I'm sure there's a point in there somewhere, but darned if I can see it.

Hope you have a Merry Christmas today David.

Best
Rob

--Ida M. Tarbell

--Carl Sandburg
12-25-2020, 02:21 PM
(12-25-2020 01:26 PM)Rob Wick Wrote:  I'm sure there's a point in there somewhere, but darned if I can see it.

Hope you have a Merry Christmas today David.

Best
Rob

"There is a point in there." If the News Media Association (i.e., Peabody Awards) cannot be counted on to determine "highlight[ed] works that demonstrate how the media can defend the public interest, encourage empathy and expand its audience’s understanding of the world around them," who can the Public count on to tell the truth?

President Donald Trump of the United States? Vladimir Putin of Russian? Xi Jinping of China? These are just a few of the well-known liars in this world, now.