COVID-19
03-16-2020, 08:11 AM
Words To Remember
"The struggle of today, is not altogether for today -- it is for a vast future also. With a reliance on Providence, all the more firm and earnest, let us proceed in the great task which events have devolved upon us."
--Annual Message to Congress, December 3, 1861

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-16-2020, 11:48 AM (This post was last modified: 03-16-2020 12:46 PM by wpbinzel.)
RE: COVID-19
By direction of the Governor and the Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission, the Surratt House Museum in Clinton, MD is closed until further notice.

Also, the Surratt Society's John Wilkes Booth Escape Route tour for April 11 has been cancelled. For now, registrants for that tour may elect for a refund or one of the alternative dates of April 18, April 25, or May 2, as space is available or subject to the cancellation of some or all of those tours in accordance with guidance from health officials. I will post updates as they become available.

For more information, visit: http://www.surrattmuseum.org/covid-closure
03-16-2020, 12:38 PM
RE: Words To Remember
(03-16-2020 08:11 AM)Gene C Wrote:  "The struggle of today, is not altogether for today -- it is for a vast future also. With a reliance on Providence, all the more firm and earnest, let us proceed in the great task which events have devolved upon us."
--Annual Message to Congress, December 3, 1861

Thank you for those inspirational words, Gene!

"So very difficult a matter is it to trace and find out the truth of anything by history." -- Plutarch
03-17-2020, 05:30 AM
Bill, thank you for letting us know about the closing and cancellation.
03-17-2020, 05:36 AM
(03-16-2020 07:55 AM)LincolnMan Wrote:  Maybe we should have a COVID-19 thread to update on all the events being held or not?

Good idea, Bill. That is why I began this thread. I second David regarding Gene's inspirational quote from President Lincoln.
03-17-2020, 07:35 AM
I think because we on this Forum are from different geographical areas around the world we can inform regarding cancellations and provide updates in general regarding COVID-19-and keep each others spirits up. Yes, thank you Gene!

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-17-2020, 11:46 AM
Notice: The American Battlefield Trust has postponed the scheduled April Park Day 2020. No new date is yet projected. Check their website for more information. And so it continues...
03-18-2020, 06:15 PM
In accordance with the guidance and mandates of the Governor and the Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission, ALL of the Spring Surratt Society John Wilkes Booth Escape Route Tours (April 11, 18, 25 and May 2) have been cancelled. Those who have registered will be notified by mail and refund checks will follow. Mark your calendar for the Fall tour dates, September 5, 12, and 19.
03-19-2020, 04:47 PM
New Salem State Park is closed until further notice.

http://lincolnsnewsalem.com/

03-20-2020, 07:25 AM
In my general area in Michigan one local community has canceled out Memorial Day Observances already.

Bill Nash
03-20-2020, 06:47 PM
Anzac Day (April 25) formal parades and dawn services remembering the 1915 Gallipoli landings have been cancelled in Australia and NZ.
However, there has been a proposal of an informal demonstration of remembrance by the public where people will stand at the end of the drives to their homes at 6 a.m. , the Last Post will be played (over the radio I guess) and there will be a minutes silence.

“The honest man, tho' e'er sae poor,
Is king o' men for a' that” Robert Burns
03-21-2020, 04:51 AM
One of the first websites that I check each morning is my high school class website. This was posted by a guy who was once the class clown. I am not a doctor and do not know how accurate it is, but I thought it explained things in terms I could understand. So I thought I'd repost it here:

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

A REAL DOCTOR'S EXPLANATION

"Seasonal flu is an “all human virus”. The DNA/RNA chains that make up the virus are recognized by the human immune system. This means that your body has some immunity to it before it comes around each year you get immunity two ways, through exposure to a virus, or by getting a flu shot.

Novel viruses, come from animals. The WHO tracks novel viruses in animals, (sometimes for years watching for mutations). Usually these viruses only transfer from animal to animal (pigs in the case of H1N1) (birds in the case of the Spanish flu). But once, one of these animal viruses mutates, and starts to transfer from animals to humans. Then it’s a problem, because we have no natural or acquired immunity. The RNA sequencing of the genes inside the virus isn’t human and the human immune system doesn’t recognize it so, we can’t fight it off.

Now sometimes the mutation only allows transfer from animal to human, for years it’s only transmission is from an infected animal to a human before it finally mutates so that it can now transfer human to human. Once that happens we have a new contagion phase. And depending on the fashion of this new mutation, that's what decides how contagious, or how deadly it’s gonna be.

H1N1 was deadly but it did not mutate in a way that was as deadly as the Spanish flu. It’s RNA was slower to mutate and it attacked its host differently, too.

Fast forward. Now, here comes this Coronavirus. It existed in animals only, for nobody knows how long. But one day, at an animal market, in Wuhan China, in December 2019, it mutated and made the jump from animal to people. At first, only animals could give it to a person. But here is the scary part. In just two weeks it mutated again and gained the ability to jump from human to human. Scientists call this quick ability, “slippery". This virus, not being in any form a “human” virus (whereas we would all have some natural or acquired immunity) took off like a rocket. This was because, humans have no known immunity. Doctors have no known meds for it.

And it just so happens that this particular mutated animal virus, changed itself in such a way the way that it causes great damage to human lungs.That’s why Coronavirus is different from seasonal flu, or H1N1 or any other type of influenza. This one is slippery AF. And it’s a lung eater. And, it’s already mutated again so that we now have two strains to deal with, which makes it twice as hard to develop a vaccine.

We really have no tools in our shed, with this. History has shown that fast and immediate closings of public places has helped in the past pandemics.

Philadelphia and Baltimore were reluctant to close events in 1918 and they were the hardest hit in the US during the Spanish Flu.

Fact: Henry VIII stayed in his room and allowed no one near him, until the Black Plague passed. Just like us, he had no tools in his shed except social isolation.

And let me end by saying right now it’s hitting older folks harder but this genome is so slippery if it mutates again (and it will). Who is to say, what it will do next.

Be smart folks, acting like you’re unafraid is so not sexy right now. Stay home and share this to those that just are not catching on."

03-21-2020, 07:33 AM (This post was last modified: 03-21-2020 08:12 AM by LincolnMan.)
Michigan, like some States, hasn't ordered the "stay at home order" yet. but I'm sure it will. Amazing how seemingly overnight everything we knew changed.

One more thing: one of our very popular radio stations here is playing Christmas music by popular demand in an effort to lift everyone's mood.

Bill Nash
03-22-2020, 08:18 AM (This post was last modified: 03-22-2020 10:01 AM by Gene C.)
I am reminded of this song by Stephen Foster, Hard Times Come Again No More

Written in 1854, Lincoln would probably have been familiar with it. Seems to be popular whenever we go through difficult times. It's still appropriate, it's been recorded by many different singers. This is a shorter version by Charles Szabo very similiar to the way it was originally written.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyCt0sJhU4Q

03-22-2020, 02:35 PM
Many thanks to Eva for sending this photo taken in a German supermarket. Notice the lines on the floor to maintain social distancing in the check-out line. Vicki and I went food shopping this morning, and we were able to maintain social distancing EXCEPT when in the check-out line. I am going to try to send the photo to our food store.

[Image: German Supermarket.jpg]