Surratt Conference Cancelled
03-12-2020, 07:02 PM
Surratt Conference Cancelled
In an effort to get the word out, in the wake of the call by the Governor and Maryland healthcare officials, the 21st Annual Conference of the Surratt Society and Surratt House Museum, scheduled for April 3-5, has been cancelled due to COVID-19. Those who have registered for the conference will receive a refund of their registration fees, as well as the fees for the Friday and Sunday bus tours, in coming weeks. While unfortunate, the cancellation is prudent for the well-being of all.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-13-2020, 05:34 AM
RE: Surratt Conference Cancelled
Thanks for posting, Bill. So many scheduled events have been cancelled around the country that I sort of thought this might happen.
03-13-2020, 05:43 AM
And it's the same worldwide.
Our President Emmanuel Macron just ordered all nation's school shutdown.
03-13-2020, 08:27 AM
Same thing in Michigan.

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-13-2020, 02:30 PM
(03-12-2020 07:02 PM)wpbinzel Wrote:  In an effort to get the word out, in the wake of the call by the Governor and Maryland healthcare officials, the 21st Annual Conference of the Surratt Society and Surratt House Museum, scheduled for April 3-5, has been cancelled due to COVID-19. Those who have registered for the conference will receive a refund of their registration fees, as well as the fees for the Friday and Sunday bus tours, in coming weeks. While unfortunate, the cancellation is prudent for the well-being of all.

Bill:

Thank you for this notice. It's the only sensible thing to do. Almost everything that involves substantial numbers of people congregating is being cancelled up this way too. I will not be surprised if the baseball season is postponed more than the two weeks it has already been postponed.

John
03-13-2020, 06:55 PM
(03-12-2020 07:02 PM)wpbinzel Wrote:  In an effort to get the word out, in the wake of the call by the Governor and Maryland healthcare officials, the 21st Annual Conference of the Surratt Society and Surratt House Museum, scheduled for April 3-5, has been cancelled due to COVID-19. Those who have registered for the conference will receive a refund of their registration fees, as well as the fees for the Friday and Sunday bus tours, in coming weeks. While unfortunate, the cancellation is prudent for the well-being of all.

While I'm bummed the conference will not occur, I think they made the right call. The Surratt Conference isn't the only thing to be cancelled, The Abraham Lincoln Institute's annual meeting at Ford's Theater is also cancelled, the NBA, NHL, and MLS have suspended their season, Opening Day has been pushed back by 2 weeks, horse racetracks are either cancelling or running races behind closed doors, and schools are shutting down with some (including mine) resorting to online instruction. I hope everyone stays safe and healthy.

Thomas Kearney, Professional Photobomber.
03-13-2020, 08:02 PM
Bummed is the right expression, Thomas, as is certainly your conclusion.
03-13-2020, 08:35 PM
Disappointed, for sure. But it is the right decision.