Introducing an exchange student from Germany to Lincoln
02-18-2020, 08:06 AM
Introducing an exchange student from Germany to Lincoln
Our home will be having an exchange student from Germany stay with us for almost a year. We are very excited about this. I'm looking forward to, among many things, discovering what she knows about Lincoln and also sharing some of my knowledge with her. Without being boring!
Thoughts?

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-18-2020, 08:40 AM
RE: Introducing an exchange student from Germany to Lincoln
You might want to tell her that Lincoln was concerned about the support of German-speaking voters in the 1860 election and actually owned a German language newspaper for a little while.
Find all posts by this user
02-18-2020, 10:47 AM
Excellent suggestion. I will do that for sure!

Bill Nash
02-18-2020, 03:12 PM
I wonder if Lincoln and the American Civil War is even taught in schools in Germany?

Bill Nash
02-18-2020, 05:39 PM
"German-Americans were the largest ethnic contingent to fight for the Union in the American Civil War. More than 200,000 native Germans served in the Union Army, notably from New York, Wisconsin, and Ohio."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_Ame..._Civil_War

and a piece of trivia I didnt know ...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_Palatines

(General Custer had German ancestors possibly from the Palatines)

“The honest man, tho' e'er sae poor,
Is king o' men for a' that” Robert Burns
02-18-2020, 11:46 PM
The development of the Pennsylvania Dutch dialect in North America can be traced back to the Palatines, and has nothing to do with Holland Dutch.
02-19-2020, 07:26 AM
What is "[Lincoln's Ownership of] a German language newspaper"? As in, fully owned and managed the paper, or purchased shares in the newspaper, or something else? (And might you be able to share, when exactly?)
02-19-2020, 08:49 AM
Unfortunately, I can't find the specific reference to this right now in books from my personal library. However, I did find the following quote on Google: "Abraham Lincoln shrewdly bought the German newspaper 'Illinois Staatsanzeiger', press and all, before he set out for the national convention in Chicago and the Republicans employed German orators to stress German issues throughout the campaign." However, I don't know who their source for this quote is.
02-19-2020, 09:10 AM (This post was last modified: 02-19-2020 12:09 PM by STS Lincolnite.)
(02-19-2020 07:26 AM)Amy L. Wrote:  What is "[Lincoln's Ownership of] a German language newspaper"? As in, fully owned and managed the paper, or purchased shares in the newspaper, or something else? (And might you be able to share, when exactly?)

Some of this may be helpful to you:

“On May 30, 1859, he purchased through his friend Jacob Bunn the type and other equipment of The Illinois Staats-Anzeiger, a German language newspaper recently established in Springfield.” Harry E. Pratt, The Personal Finances of Abraham Lincoln

"Lincoln becomes owner of German newspaper and draws contract with Theodore Canisius for its management. Recognizing that Illinois Staats-Anzeiger of Springfield is Lincoln's property, contract grants Canisius free use of paper for publication purposes on condition that paper supports Republican party. Contract with Theodore Canisius, [30?] May 1859, CW, 3:383." The Lincoln Log, http://www.thelincolnlog.org/Results.asp...xtRnpjSGc9

Here is a link to the contract from the Collected Works of Abraham Lincoln vol. 3: https://quod.lib.umich.edu/cgi/t/text/te...ncoln3:111

“Except for his private banker, his law partner, and but one fellow Illinois Republican politician, he seems to have told no one about the purchase at the time, or, indeed, for the rest of his life” Harold Holzer, Lincoln and the Power of the Press

In doing some research recently, I came across a letter from Lincoln to D.A. Cheever (from Pekin, IL, was involved with the Pekin Republican Central Committee) dated August 19, 1859. It closed with the following:
“By the way we have started a German Republican paper here, of which I send a copy. Please see if you can not get us a few subscribers. It is very important to us to sustain it.” Collected Works of Abraham Lincoln Supplement 1

Per the contract (see link above) if Theodore Canisius upheld the terms the print, type, etc. was to be turned over to him after the Presidential election (as long as it was not used against the Republican Party or removed from Springfield without Lincoln's consent). Apparently Cansisius upheld his end and the the property became his. I think that Canisius was also later granted a political appointment by Lincoln. I read both of the above, but not sure where so I don't have a reference.
UPDATE: Lincoln appointed Canisius consul to Denmark. Bearden-White, Christina. Illinois Germans and the Coming of the Civil War: Reshaping Ethnic Identity. Journal of the Illinois State Historical Society Vol. 109, No. 3 (Fall 2016), pp. 231-251

There is not a lot of information out there about the newspaper and there has not yet been any copy of the paper found.

Angela of this forum is a native of Germany and has done research on the newspaper. I think she would be another good resource for what little information their is related to the The Illinois Staats-Anzeiger.
02-20-2020, 08:05 AM (This post was last modified: 02-21-2020 09:41 PM by Eva Elisabeth.)
(02-18-2020 03:12 PM)LincolnMan Wrote:  I wonder if Lincoln and the American Civil War is even taught in schools in Germany?
Absolutely, Bill. US history is taught in grade 8 in history as well as in English (and English also teaches US culture), and again sometime in grade 11-13 in English. We don't teach private life though (about no one, German politicians not either) , only what influenced political history (it amazes me at times what "private life" details US kids learn).
That's certainly excited to host an exchange student, Bill (and for her it will be most exciting, too - she is fortunate getting "you and yours" as a host) - may I ask where from and how old?
02-20-2020, 02:03 PM (This post was last modified: 02-20-2020 02:05 PM by Angela.)
(02-18-2020 08:06 AM)LincolnMan Wrote:  Our home will be having an exchange student from Germany stay with us for almost a year. We are very excited about this. I'm looking forward to, among many things, discovering what she knows about Lincoln and also sharing some of my knowledge with her. Without being boring!
Thoughts?

As a Lincoln lover AND former exchange student from Germany to the US, I think that she would probably enjoy the Lincoln/Germans connection. Especially in the beginning of such a stay, there is a mixture between extreme curiosity about the new country but also some serious homesickness. I, as well as many others, discovered that living as an expat turns you more towards your own culture that it ever did before. One becomes very aware of the their own country of origin because it is constantly pointed out to you and people ask many questions.
So, if you'd introduced her to Lincoln as the "model" American who had strong ties to the German community, that might peak her interest. Also, share with her that Willy Brandt article about his visit to Springfield and his speech about Lincoln belonging to the world and especially to the young people. I'm sure she'd appreciate that!

As for Scott's excellent comment - YES! Let her know about the newspaper! And sorry, I have done some serious research but so far not turned up a copy yet either - still on it, though!

In case of emergency, Lincoln and children first.
02-21-2020, 05:13 AM (This post was last modified: 02-21-2020 09:40 PM by Eva Elisabeth.)
Bill, I think Carl Schurz is a character who still matters here and is worth to be discussed - there are plenty streets, schools, army bases etc. in Germany named after him.
02-21-2020, 11:10 AM
(02-21-2020 05:13 AM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  PS: Bill, I think Carl Schurz is a character who still matters here and is worth to be discussed - there are plenty streets, schools, army bases etc. in Germany named after him.
And not to forget the Steuben-Schurz-Society that does great work for German/American relationships!

In case of emergency, Lincoln and children first.
02-22-2020, 08:23 AM
I am so encouraged by all of your great suggestions and ideas! It will be so much fun hosting this young lady. We skyped with her this past week. She is very excited. She is 16 years old and lives in Willich. She has promised to teach us some German and to prepare German food items. I can tell you this: we intend on providing her one of the best years of her life!

Bill Nash
02-22-2020, 07:54 PM (This post was last modified: 02-24-2020 07:33 AM by Amy L..)
She comes from around Düsseldorf. Near the Dutch border.

Finally, I asked my husband this question about his education in Germany (without expecting an answer) and he said, his discusion in HS about America was comparing 1980s Russian farming trade with American trade policies. (So complicated? So, that would be a class in econimic-analysis for the 12th grade, and it just happened that the teacher used the US as a case study.)
Friends of mine said their only history lessons that included America were in relation to the 2nd WW, specifically Pearl Harbor. And also generally US gov't structure and 'Balance of Power' (which has failed, and doesn't actually exist).
I take it all to mean: It depends on the interest of the teacher, not what's required from the State, to meet one's knowledge-requirement of US history in the German school system.
(My education at a good school in New Jersey was lacking. There was no in-depth analysis of the American Civil War, nor of German history. (Only a brief touch on the Weimar Republic, the Holocaust, and Reagan saying, 'Tear this wall down.') I regret not being more attentive...)