Fly Through Historic Ford’s Theatre
12-04-2019, 03:35 PM
Fly Through Historic Ford’s Theatre
Thanks to Richard Sloan and Laurie for sending this link. It is a video taken by a drone as it flies and films inside Ford's Theatre (from Wade Kirby).

https://youtu.be/qr2LMvHrZ64
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-04-2019, 03:44 PM
RE: Fly Through Historic Ford’s Theatre
Really cool!

Thanks for sharing.

Bob
12-04-2019, 05:57 PM
That was pretty amazing. Gives a bit of a new perspective on Booth’s jump from the box. I also noticed the doors below the box. Was that a storage area? Does anyone know?

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-04-2019, 06:19 PM
(12-04-2019 05:57 PM)LincolnMan Wrote:  I also noticed the doors below the box. Was that a storage area?

Bill, in 1865 those were the two private boxes below the private boxes where the Lincoln party was seated. They were unoccupied on April 14, 1865, as were the matching 4 boxes on the other side of the stage. I do not know what is in those lower level boxes nowadays.
12-04-2019, 08:57 PM
(12-04-2019 06:19 PM)RJNorton Wrote:  [quote='LincolnMan' pid='79481' dateline='1575496675']
I also noticed the doors below the box. Was that a storage area?

When some accounts said Lincoln was carried out on a shutter, I always thought those lower box doors were the most likely choice.

"There are few subjects that ignite more casual, uninformed bigotry and condescension from elites in this nation more than Dixie - Jonah Goldberg"
12-05-2019, 12:00 AM
That was a really cool video Roger. Kudos to Laurie and Richard for sharing. Definitely a bucket list item for me and the mrs.

They have killed Papa dead
12-05-2019, 07:33 AM
(12-04-2019 08:57 PM)J. Beckert Wrote:  
(12-04-2019 06:19 PM)RJNorton Wrote:  [quote='LincolnMan' pid='79481' dateline='1575496675']
I also noticed the doors below the box. Was that a storage area?

When some accounts said Lincoln was carried out on a shutter, I always thought those lower box doors were the most likely choice.

Wow! That could be. I would not have thought that there were boxes there.

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-05-2019, 03:05 PM
(12-04-2019 08:57 PM)J. Beckert Wrote:  When some accounts said Lincoln was carried out on a shutter, I always thought those lower box doors were the most likely choice.

Good memory, Joe. I checked Tim Good's book to see if anyone specifically mentioned the word "shutter," and I found two. Katherine Evans, who was a cast member of "Our American Cousin," stated that, "Then they laid the President on a shutter and carried him out of the theater to the house across the street where he died at 7:30 o'clock the next morning." Also, J. F. Troutner, who was sitting in the dress circle, said, "In the meantime, Lincoln, mortally wounded, was laid upon a window shutter and carried to a little lodging house across Tenth street from the theater." It should be noted that both of these accounts came 50 years after the assassination.
12-05-2019, 03:24 PM
Can't recall, and can't find them, but do the photographs taken of the inside of the theater taken after the assassination show the lower box seats?
If so, I don't recall any showing a missing door, and I doubt they had time to replace it when the photos were taken.

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
12-05-2019, 05:25 PM
Amazing video.
Using a lower box seat door would have been way to big and unwieldy, especially maneuvering through the Peterson house.
Go here to see Brady's photo taken to document the crime scene. It shows no doors on the lower boxes.
https://www.fords.org/lincolns-assassination/
12-06-2019, 08:59 AM
In his book, Tim Good, after reading all the various accounts, writes, "...it is reasonable to conclude that the president was placed on a flat board of some kind. Most likely, he was not carried in anyone's arms."
12-06-2019, 07:01 PM (This post was last modified: 12-06-2019 07:02 PM by AussieMick.)
This has probably already been discussed ... but how long did it take from the President being shot to him being removed from the box ? (obviously theres going to be some approximation and differences of opinions ... but I think we can get a good estimate).
My question is due to me imagining how long it would take to get a window shutter (of the suitable size) pulled down and dragged to the box.
The other issue is ... I assume that window shutters were on many buildings in the area, and would the theatre have had shutters ... probably?

It could be that Lincoln was carried from the box by two or even four people (holding arms and legs) and laid on a shutter (or similar) outside the box. I'd be surprised if the box itself (cramped and with various furniture) and the door to the box allowed for much maneuvering.

“The honest man, tho' e'er sae poor,
Is king o' men for a' that” Robert Burns
12-07-2019, 05:56 AM
I’m thinking that the shutter or board could have been some sort of prop or board from backstage of the Theatre grabbed in haste? Although, I’m sure If someone went and retrieved it in such a hurry, they probably would have retold the story... interesting.
12-07-2019, 07:37 AM
I agree Daniel that the 'shutter' could have been some other sort of board lying around. Window shutters (I think) usually tend to be firmly attached.

“The honest man, tho' e'er sae poor,
Is king o' men for a' that” Robert Burns
12-07-2019, 11:17 AM
Perhaps it was something used from backstage or a prop

I just love to use that word when I haven't got a clue. Smile

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?