Location of photograph of Lincoln
09-24-2019, 08:07 AM (This post was last modified: 09-24-2019 08:50 AM by AussieMick.)
Location of photograph of Lincoln
I recall that some time back there was a thread on locations of photographs of Lincoln. (maybe it was photos appearing in films ... anyway ...

I dont think that this one was included ...
https://www.peoplescollection.wales/items/8275

in case you dont know who david lloyd george was ...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Lloyd_George

Trivia question that many Poms (sorry, "Brits"), unless of a Welsh background, may struggle to answer : Who was the only British Prime Minister for whom English was a second Language? David Lloyd George.

“The honest man, tho' e'er sae poor,
Is king o' men for a' that” Robert Burns
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-24-2019, 10:32 AM
RE: Location of photograph of Lincoln
(09-24-2019 08:07 AM)AussieMick Wrote:  I recall that some time back there was a thread on locations of photographs of Lincoln. (maybe it was photos appearing in films ... anyway ...

I dont think that this one was included ...
https://www.peoplescollection.wales/items/8275

in case you dont know who david lloyd george was ...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Lloyd_George

Trivia question that many Poms (sorry, "Brits"), unless of a Welsh background, may struggle to answer : Who was the only British Prime Minister for whom English was a second Language? David Lloyd George.

Coincidentally, I am currently reading The Secret Rooms by Catherine Bailey, which is a history of Castle Belvoir in England where many of the British documents (about sixteen tons!) were evacuated to when it became obvious that the country would go to war with Germany in 1915.

Among the land holdings of the castle owner, the 8th Duke of Rutland, was the area of Lincoln and Lincolnshire. PM Aisquith is mentioned quite a few times in the book, and I have seen one brief mention of David Lloyd George while skimming the book. I've only read about 100 pages of another very long tome.

This is a very strange history/mystery of Castle Belvoir, which still stands and allowed this book's author access to all family letters and records, which have been maintained over 300+ years, cataloged, etc. -- and, strangely, three sections of years from the 1890s to WWII purged by the 9th Duke of Rutland.
09-24-2019, 12:55 PM (This post was last modified: 09-24-2019 01:11 PM by Gene C.)
Cool
Is David Loyd George any relation, possibly the offspring, of John Wilkes Booth a.k.a David E George, who was secretly smuggled out of the United States as a child to Great Britain and placed with a well to do family and given a new identity? It's no coincidence that JWB's father, Junius was a well known British stage actor.

I can see Stanton's, Seward's, John Hays and Robert Lincoln's fingerprints all over this cover up and through the years of George's British political career. This could be the link as to why Booth escaped to India, a British colony at the time. Booth returns to the USA, changes his name to David George and ends up in Enid, OK

Read all about in the yet to be released new book "Dark Union Jack"

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
09-24-2019, 04:53 PM
(09-24-2019 12:55 PM)Gene C Wrote:  Cool
Is David Loyd George any relation, possibly the offspring, of John Wilkes Booth a.k.a David E George, who was secretly smuggled out of the United States as a child to Great Britain and placed with a well to do family and given a new identity? It's no coincidence that JWB's father, Junius was a well known British stage actor.

I can see Stanton's, Seward's, John Hays and Robert Lincoln's fingerprints all over this cover up and through the years of George's British political career. This could be the link as to why Booth escaped to India, a British colony at the time. Booth returns to the USA, changes his name to David George and ends up in Enid, OK

And perhaps Booth became one of those Dukes of Rutland before returning to the U.S. That would explain the mysteries surrounding Castle Belvoir. I think we could make a fortune selling these theories.
09-24-2019, 05:34 PM
It would certainly explain Laurie's "all family letters and records, which have been maintained over 300+ years, cataloged, etc. -- and, strangely, three sections of years from the 1890s to WWII purged by the 9th Duke of Rutland".

“The honest man, tho' e'er sae poor,
Is king o' men for a' that” Robert Burns
09-24-2019, 08:37 PM
If you are interested in this beautiful castle, or just want to see some pictures of it, go here: https://www.belvoircastle.com/

BTW: We would pronounce "Belvoir" like the French, from whose language it comes ( Belle Vwar, "Beautiful View"), but many Brits and others had/have a hard time with that pronunciation. They pronounce it as Bee-Var -- or more easily as BEAVER!
09-24-2019, 11:34 PM
This is knit-picking a bit, but "Belvoir" literally means "beautiful to see", whereas "Bellevue" would mean "beautiful view."
09-25-2019, 09:30 AM
(09-24-2019 11:34 PM)Rogerm Wrote:  This is knit-picking a bit, but "Belvoir" literally means "beautiful to see", whereas "Bellevue" would mean "beautiful view."

Thanks, Rogerm - I actually thought about that last night after I shut down the computer and was going to change it this morning. I minored in French in college (along with English), but have not used a word of it in over 40 years. This time, I was quoting from a website -- probably Wiki!

With this British writer, I'm needing a "translator" beside me to explain what some of her very British comments, words, slang mean. BTW: AussieMike - you used the term POM on one of these posts about David Lloyd George. What does that stand for? My mother was addicted to English romance novels from the earlier centuries and could probably translate for me, but she passed a decade ago.
09-25-2019, 05:15 PM
(09-24-2019 04:53 PM)L Verge Wrote:  
(09-24-2019 12:55 PM)Gene C Wrote:  Cool

And perhaps Booth became one of those Dukes of Rutland before returning to the U.S. That would explain the mysteries surrounding Castle Belvoir. I think we could make a fortune selling these theories.
I'm still waiting for the theory that the entire assassination was a fake...