Good-bye, Cokie
09-18-2019, 08:46 PM
Good-bye, Cokie
No matter which political side of the aisle our members sit on, I hope we all bowed our heads a bit yesterday when we heard of the passing of Cokie Roberts. She was one of the few modern talking-head journalists that I respected, and I often wondered why she didn't go into the field of politics herself; perhaps being raised by two political parents taught her not to?

About five years ago, Cokie spoke at one of the Surratt Society's fall banquets. Her book Capital Dames was a big hit with our audience, and the room was quite full. She was an excellent, off-the-cuff speaker (no notes) as well as a very gracious and friendly guest. She refused her honorarium and travel expenses, even though she had a driver because she admitted that she didn't drive very well at night in unfamiliar territory.

Personally, I think our world needs more folks like Cokie Roberts leading us down educational paths.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-18-2019, 10:02 PM
RE: Good-bye, Cokie
In 1992 I covered the first presidential debate on the campus of Washington University in St. Louis. I sat in the debate hall in the upper section where various other members of the media were stationed. I noticed that the person I was sitting next to was Steven Roberts, who was working as a commentator for NPR. I didn't want to bother him while he was working, but on one of the breaks I shook his hand and said "I love your wife." He smiled and said "so do I."

Best
Rob

Abraham Lincoln in the only man, dead or alive, with whom I could have spent five years without one hour of boredom.
--Ida M. Tarbell

I want the respect of intelligent men, but I will choose for myself the intelligent.
--Carl Sandburg
09-19-2019, 09:38 AM
RE: Good-bye, Cokie
Great comment, Rob. I also admire Mr. Roberts, but we don't see enough of him lately.