Mr. Lincoln Would Not Be Amused
09-16-2019, 08:26 PM
Mr. Lincoln Would Not Be Amused
For the second time in two weeks, I have arrived at work to find a Lincoln "impersonator" standing in front of the fence line at Surratt House in period attire (sort of) and the ugliest Lincoln mask you can imagine. He surrounds himself with American flags planted in the ground and a large sign urging folks to vote for Joe Biden.

So far, there's not a darn thing I can do because he stays close enough to the busy road to be on its right-of-way, not on the museum/government property. I received the first complaint call today accusing us of endorsing him as well as being concerned that it reflects badly on Surratt House. I just pray that no one from the press arrives -- which is what I suspect this gentleman is hoping for.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-16-2019, 09:43 PM
RE: Mr. Lincoln Would Not Be Amused
Vote? It's only Sept. 2019! .... Sigh...
09-17-2019, 05:08 AM
Hopefully he goes away soon. You’re right, Mr. Lincoln would not be amused.

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-17-2019, 06:48 AM
Idea - Do you have water sprinklers at Surratt House?

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
09-17-2019, 09:42 AM
(09-17-2019 06:48 AM)Gene C Wrote:  Idea - Do you have water sprinklers at Surratt House?

Great idea! Unfortunately, I still need my job. Anyone familiar enough with Mr. Biden's politics to know how they would align with Mr. Lincoln's? Just thinking ahead in case a reporter does show up... Fact news, please, not fake news.
09-17-2019, 10:54 AM
(09-17-2019 09:42 AM)L Verge Wrote:  Anyone familiar enough with Mr. Biden's politics to know how they would align with Mr. Lincoln's? Just thinking ahead in case a reporter does show up... Fact news, please, not fake news.

Lincoln was a strong supporter of tariffs which seems more in line with Trump than Biden.
09-17-2019, 01:58 PM
Ida Tarbell was often asked what Lincoln would do in terms of present day events that she covered. Tarbell never answered those questions, because she knew that Lincoln was a man of his time and had never faced many of the issues she wrote about. Instead, Tarbell told those interested to look at Lincoln's thought process and how he arrived at a conclusion for a problem that he had faced. Only through that could one see Lincoln's true wisdom.

Best
Rob

Abraham Lincoln in the only man, dead or alive, with whom I could have spent five years without one hour of boredom.
--Ida M. Tarbell

I want the respect of intelligent men, but I will choose for myself the intelligent.
--Carl Sandburg
09-17-2019, 02:57 PM
(09-17-2019 01:58 PM)Rob Wick Wrote:  Ida Tarbell was often asked what Lincoln would do in terms of present day events that she covered. Tarbell never answered those questions, because she knew that Lincoln was a man of his time and had never faced many of the issues she wrote about. Instead, Tarbell told those interested to look at Lincoln's thought process and how he arrived at a conclusion for a problem that he had faced. Only through that could one see Lincoln's true wisdom.

Best
Rob

"Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it." —Abraham Lincoln, Speech at the Cooper Union, New York City, Feb. 27, 1860

"So very difficult a matter is it to trace and find out the truth of anything by history." -- Plutarch
09-17-2019, 06:53 PM (This post was last modified: 09-18-2019 08:19 PM by L Verge.)
(09-17-2019 01:58 PM)Rob Wick Wrote:  Ida Tarbell was often asked what Lincoln would do in terms of present day events that she covered. Tarbell never answered those questions, because she knew that Lincoln was a man of his time and had never faced many of the issues she wrote about. Instead, Tarbell told those interested to look at Lincoln's thought process and how he arrived at a conclusion for a problem that he had faced. Only through that could one see Lincoln's true wisdom.

Best
Rob

I like Tarbell's response, but wonder how one is to determine accurately another person's thought process. Unless it comes out of my mouth, 90% of my thought process stays in my head or is deleted.
09-17-2019, 08:02 PM
I'll let Tarbell speak for herself.

Best
Rob

https://dspace.allegheny.edu/handle/10456/26787

Abraham Lincoln in the only man, dead or alive, with whom I could have spent five years without one hour of boredom.
--Ida M. Tarbell

I want the respect of intelligent men, but I will choose for myself the intelligent.
--Carl Sandburg
09-18-2019, 05:13 AM
I, for one, agree, Rob. I think that letter to Edward A. Dickson is right on target when it comes to Lincoln's mind.
09-18-2019, 08:22 PM
(09-18-2019 05:13 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  I, for one, agree, Rob. I think that letter to Edward A. Dickson is right on target when it comes to Lincoln's mind.

I can't get the letter itself to open for me.
09-18-2019, 08:48 PM (This post was last modified: 09-18-2019 08:52 PM by Gene C.)
See if this works

https://dspace.allegheny.edu/bitstream/h...sAllowed=y

Rob, I don't see anything on the letter, no heading, no signature, to indicate Ida wrote it. It's just a typed letter.
Your sure this is not from the Neff Collection?
Big Grin

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
09-18-2019, 09:00 PM
Gene, hush! You weren't supposed to mention that.

Seriously, the letters that were written by Tarbell in her collection were carbons. She would dictate her correspondence, usually into a dictaphone, and then her secretary would make a typed copy that Tarbell would edit. The final edit was kept in her papers and then the letter that was sent was retyped on her letterhead, which was blue.

Best
Rob

--Ida M. Tarbell

--Carl Sandburg
09-19-2019, 05:10 AM
I'd be curious to know how James Shields would have reacted to Tarbell's statement of "No man was ever freer of malice towards opponents."