James Garfield Tomb
05-04-2019, 09:13 AM
James Garfield Tomb
I recently visited Garfield’s tomb in Cleveland. Wondering how many of you have been there? He and his wife lay in flag-covered coffins in an area visible to the public. There is a large of statue of Garfield there also. The tomb itself looks like a church. I can’t even imagine the original cost of the structure. If you have been there it is certainly worth seeing. And Gene- I figured you would probably respond with a song—the one and only Johnny Cash with his rendition of ‘Mr. Garfield’:
https://youtu.be/ZPgHm53fLDI

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-27-2019, 09:25 AM
RE: James Garfield Tomb
In the same cemetery (Lakeview)-John Hay is buried. Interestingly, there no engraving as to who he was-just his name and birth/death dates.

Bill Nash
05-27-2019, 12:18 PM
Here's the spot where James Garfield was shot:

http://www.bradycarlson.com/the-james-a-...bout-here/
Find all posts by this user
05-27-2019, 07:31 PM (This post was last modified: 05-28-2019 12:50 PM by Anita.)
So little is taught about Garfield. All many history students know is that he was assassinated. Not only was he in the wrong place at the wrong time but he was unlucky twice. Attending Dr. Bliss (ignorance is Bliss) most likely caused Garfield's death. I knew Robert Lincoln witnessed the shooting but what I didn't know is he called for Dr.Bliss. "How did Bliss position himself above everyone else after President Garfield’s shooting sixteen years later, in July 1881? Dr. Smith Townsend was the first doctor to arrive on the scene after the shooting, followed by Dr. Charles Purvis. While these doctors were treating the President, Secretary of War Robert Todd Lincoln, just forty or so feet away from Garfield when assassin Charles Guiteau attacked, called for Dr. Bliss. Historical evidence suggests Robert Todd Lincoln also knew of the childhood connection between Garfield and Bliss. Whether it was that connection or his service at the Armory and at Lincoln’s deathbed that led him to call for Bliss, Robert Lincoln’s decision would have lasting effects on history." https://garfieldnps.wordpress.com/tag/dr-willard-bliss/
05-28-2019, 07:12 AM
(05-27-2019 12:18 PM)RJNorton Wrote:  Here's the spot where James Garfield was shot:

http://www.bradycarlson.com/the-james-a-...bout-here/

Well, you’d think there would at least be a marker! Let’s hope one gets erected somewhere close by—or just somewhere.

Bill Nash
05-28-2019, 08:14 AM
(05-28-2019 07:12 AM)LincolnMan Wrote:  Well, you’d think there would at least be a marker! Let’s hope one gets erected somewhere close by—or just somewhere.

Bill, I think it's happened! (last November)

https://wamu.org/story/18/11/20/presiden...-a-plaque/
05-28-2019, 01:07 PM
(05-28-2019 08:14 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  
(05-28-2019 07:12 AM)LincolnMan Wrote:  Well, you’d think there would at least be a marker! Let’s hope one gets erected somewhere close by—or just somewhere.

Thanks Roger. I corrected my post.
05-28-2019, 02:23 PM
Thanks, Anita.

When I saw Dr. Bliss mentioned, my aging brain recalled what Kees' research showed. Kees did an amazing amount of research regarding the doctors at Lincoln's bedside at the Petersen House. Here is a post where Kees discussed Dr. Bliss.
05-28-2019, 05:06 PM
Roger, your memory is still sharp. Informative thread and research by Kees. I can find no firsthand sources stating Dr. Bliss attended Lincoln at the Petersen House but as Kee's mentioned there are sources that repeat this claim. In addition to the one I posted, a few minutes searching turned up several more of these including a Harvard medical journal.
05-28-2019, 06:01 PM
I have been trying to figure out why Robert Lincoln called for Dr. Doctor Bliss, and I found that Robert wrote the following to a friend:

"Mr. Blaine and one or two strangers were by him. I remembered that my driver was awaiting me and ran to him, told him to bring Dr. D. Bliss [the Garfield family physician]."

I have tried to find if Dr. Doctor Bliss was really the Garfield family physician, and so far I have been unsuccessful.

I did find that Ed Steers agrees with Kees. In Ed's Lincoln Assassination Encyclopedia Dr. Doctor Bliss is not listed as being present at the Petersen House.
05-28-2019, 08:58 PM
(05-28-2019 06:01 PM)RJNorton Wrote:  I have been trying to figure out why Robert Lincoln called for Dr. Doctor Bliss, and I found that Robert wrote the following to a friend:

"Mr. Blaine and one or two strangers were by him. I remembered that my driver was awaiting me and ran to him, told him to bring Dr. D. Bliss [the Garfield family physician]."

I have tried to find if Dr. Doctor Bliss was really the Garfield family physician, and so far I have been unsuccessful.

I did find that Ed Steers agrees with Kees. In Ed's Lincoln Assassination Encyclopedia Dr. Doctor Bliss is not listed as being present at the Petersen House.
Check out Susan Ann Edson. She was Garfield's family and personal physician. Interesting woman.
05-28-2019, 09:42 PM
It is a bizarre case. At his trial, Garfield's assassin, Charles Guiteau, claimed: “I did not kill the President. The doctors did that. I merely shot him.” At his hanging on June 30, 1882, when asked if he had any last words, Guiteau read a poem (by some accounts sang):

I am going to the Lordy, I am so glad,
I am going to the Lordy,
Glory hallelujah! Glory hallelujah!
I am going to the Lordy.
I love the Lordy with all my soul,
Glory hallelujah!
And that is the reason I am going to the Lord,
I am going to the Lord.
I saved my party and my land,
Glory hallelujah!
But they have murdered me for it,
And that is the reason I am going to the Lordy,
I am going to the Lordy!
I wonder what I will do when I get to the Lordy,
I guess that I will weep no more
When I get to the Lordy!
Glory hallelujah!
I wonder what I will see when I get to the Lordy,
I expect to see most glorious things,
Beyond all earthly conception
When I am with the Lordy!
I am with the Lord.
05-29-2019, 05:38 AM
Oh my, Bill!

Anita...go figure...I found a page that says, "Garfield’s personal physician, Dr. Jedediah Hyde Baxter, was visiting friends in Pennsylvania at the time Garfield was shot." It's amazing how different the various sources are!

https://circulatingnow.nlm.nih.gov/2013/...s-doctors/

Despite what I have read in several different sources, I cannot figure out the real reason Robert Lincoln called for Doctor Bliss.
05-29-2019, 06:57 AM
(05-28-2019 08:14 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  

Glad to see that. Thanks Roger.

Bill Nash
05-29-2019, 09:28 AM
(05-29-2019 05:38 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  Oh my, Bill!

Guiteau said it was a poem he had written that morning.