Fun Fact
04-25-2019, 11:39 AM
Fun Fact
The Dahlgren Raid on Richmond in March of 1864 is usually a hot topic in Lincoln assassination studies. I just stumbled upon this fun fact about the granddaughter of Admiral John Dahlgren and niece of Col. Ulric Dahlgren:

"Miss K. Dahlgren held for speeding. Daughter of Mrs. Drexel Dahlgren again Summoned to Court in Lenox". New York Times. July 20, 1915. Lenox, Massachusetts, July 20, 1915. Miss Katherine Dahlgren, third daughter of Mrs. Drexel Dahlgren, and a granddaughter of Rear Admiral John Dahlgren, was arrested this afternoon in Stockbridge on a charge of speeding her automobile ninety miles an hour on the main street and for operating the racer in a reckless manner."

Don't know her age, but I wonder if the Speed King, U.S. Grant, taught her how to drive. Remember his speeding ticket?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-25-2019, 12:28 PM
RE: Fun Fact
Very interesting! I tried to find an article about this and came upon one:

[Image: speedinggirl.jpg]
04-25-2019, 12:49 PM
Laurie:

Wow! --90 mph. It's a wonder she survived. Maybe she didn't.

I do know about Grant's speeding ticket in Washington (a buggy). He was such a superb horseman (said to be the very best by James Longstreet) that speed came naturally to him.

Incidentally, an historical footnote: Lenox, Massachusetts, was also the home of Union General Francis C. Barlow and his wife Ellen Shaw Barlow. I do believe their home is still standing. Ellen was his second wife. His first, Arabella, died in July, 1864, of typhus. She is buried in Somerville, NJ, her home. Ellen was the widow of Robert Gould Shaw, whom, you may remember, commanded the 54th Massachusetts African-American unit that distinguished itself in their attack on Battery Wagner in Charleston harbor in July, 1863. He was killed in the attack. Francis died in 1896 at the age of 61. He is buried in Brookline, Mass.

John
04-25-2019, 02:09 PM
(04-25-2019 12:49 PM)John Fazio Wrote:  Laurie:

I do know about Grant's speeding ticket in Washington (a buggy). He was such a superb horseman (said to be the very best by James Longstreet) that speed came naturally to him.

Incidentally, an historical footnote: Lenox, Massachusetts, was also the home of Union General Francis C. Barlow and his wife Ellen Shaw Barlow. I do believe their home is still standing. Ellen was his second wife. His first, Arabella, died in July, 1864, of typhus. She is buried in Somerville, NJ, her home. Ellen was the widow of Robert Gould Shaw, whom, you may remember, commanded the 54th Massachusetts African-American unit that distinguished itself in their attack on Battery Wagner in Charleston harbor in July, 1863. He was killed in the attack. Francis died in 1896 at the age of 61. He is buried in Brookline, Mass.

John

Those of you who are members of the Surratt Society probably remember the article that John contributed to our Courier about the love story of Francis and Arabella Barlow. I don't remember it mentioning that Francis went on to marry the widow of Robert Gould Shaw. Interesting.
04-25-2019, 04:29 PM
(04-25-2019 02:09 PM)L Verge Wrote:  
(04-25-2019 12:49 PM)John Fazio Wrote:  Laurie:

John

Those of you who are members of the Surratt Society probably remember the article that John contributed to our Courier about the love story of Francis and Arabella Barlow. I don't remember it mentioning that Francis went on to marry the widow of Robert Gould Shaw. Interesting.

Laurie:

Did I say widow? Sorry, I erred. She was his sister. Your memory is accurate: I did not mention Barlow's remarriage in the article.

Incidentally, when I was in Charleston some years ago, I said to a local official that I would like to visit Battery Wagner (sometimes called Fort Wagner) and could he please tell me where it is. He said that I could not visit it, because it is under water.

By the way, thanks for a great conference. I picked up quite a lot of worthwhile information and made a few new friends besides.

John
04-25-2019, 05:41 PM
(04-25-2019 11:39 AM)L Verge Wrote:  The Dahlgren Raid on Richmond in March of 1864 is usually a hot topic in Lincoln assassination studies. I just stumbled upon this fun fact about the granddaughter of Admiral John Dahlgren and niece of Col. Ulric Dahlgren:

"Miss K. Dahlgren held for speeding. Daughter of Mrs. Drexel Dahlgren again Summoned to Court in Lenox". New York Times. July 20, 1915. Lenox, Massachusetts, July 20, 1915. Miss Katherine Dahlgren, third daughter of Mrs. Drexel Dahlgren, and a granddaughter of Rear Admiral John Dahlgren, was arrested this afternoon in Stockbridge on a charge of speeding her automobile ninety miles an hour on the main street and for operating the racer in a reckless manner."

Don't know her age, but I wonder if the Speed King, U.S. Grant, taught her how to drive. Remember his speeding ticket?
I didn't know there were cars in those days that can go that fast at all...(Didn't Grant get a ticket for speeding a carriage?)
04-25-2019, 05:54 PM
(04-25-2019 05:41 PM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  Didn't Grant get a ticket for speeding a carriage?

Yes, Eva.

http://mentalfloss.com/article/65855/cop...ing-ticket

https://wtop.com/news/2012/10/dc-police-...-speeding/