"Potholes" in the President Abraham Lincoln History Roadway
03-09-2019, 12:50 PM
"Potholes" in the President Abraham Lincoln History Roadway
In the book Lincoln Talks, A Biography in Anecdote by Emanuel Hertz, there are at least three stories that are not valid references (i.e. "Potholes") on the Roadway of actual President Abraham Lincoln History:
  1. "Tug of War" at pages 520 - 529 attributed to A.R. Cazauran as published in Gunter's Magazine, Feb. 1905
  2. "Tad and Stanton" at pages 215-217 falsely attributed to Thomas F. Pendel in his book Thirty-Six Years in the White House
  3. "Tad's Signal" at pages 668-69 also falsely attributed to Thomas Pendel in his book Thirty-Six Years at the White House

Emanuel Hertz writes in the introduction to his book at page ix: "Precisely, however, because each anecdote has come to us refracted through a different point of view, we may hope that in their totality all personal equations will have canceled one another out, 'corrected' each other, as the scientists say; and that thus we may possibly approach closer to an objective portrait of Lincoln than we could have done by following the guidance of any one man."

What these words actually mean in practice is that some of the stories that Emanuel Hertz has transcribed into his book may not be true. So, reader beware! In other words, if Hertz presents to you a "sunny" story, be sure to carry your umbrella (as Rob Wick advises).

It is only through modern technology applications, such as quotation checks with GoogleBooks and access to Internet Archives (as Gene would suggest), that validity of individual stories can be ascertained with any degree of certainty.

And, always bear in mind the words of wisdom from Plutarch: "So very difficult a matter is it to trace and find out the truth of anything by history."

"So very difficult a matter is it to trace and find out the truth of anything by history." -- Plutarch
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-09-2019, 01:54 PM
RE: "Potholes" in the President Abraham Lincoln History Roadway
I believe the story of Lincoln being a no-show at his own wedding has been shown to be false. Several books carry the story, and I believe Herndon is the source of the misinformation. Herndon writes:

"The time fixed for the marriage was the first day in January, 1841. Careful preparations for the happy occasion were made at the Edwards mansion. The house underwent the customary renovation; the furniture was properly arranged, the rooms neatly decorated, the supper prepared, and the guests invited. The latter assembled on the evening in question, and awaited in expectant pleasure the interesting ceremony of marriage. The bride, bedecked in veil and silken gown, and nervously toying with the flowers in her hair, sat in the adjoining room. Nothing was lacking but the groom. For some strange reason he had been delayed. An hour passed, and the guests as well as the bride were becoming restless. But they were all doomed to disappointment. Another hour passed; messengers were sent out over town, and each returning with the same report, it became apparent that Lincoln, the principal in this little drama, had purposely failed to appear! The bride, in grief, disappeared to her room; the wedding supper was left untouched; the guests quietly and wonderingly withdrew; the lights in the Edwards mansion were blown out, and darkness settled over all for the night. What the feelings of a lady as sensitive, passionate, and proud as Miss Todd were we can only imagine—no one can ever describe them."
03-09-2019, 04:28 PM (This post was last modified: 03-09-2019 04:47 PM by Gene C.)
This is the link to the on-line version of the book David mentioned "Lincoln Talks by Emanuel Hertz. It's a pretty good sized book.
https://archive.org/details/lincolntalks...rt/page/n3
Thanks for pointing out some of it's shortcomings.

My favorite book that discusses Lincoln potholes is "Legends that Libel Lincoln" by Montgomery Lewis discussed in more detail here -
https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussi...-3771.html

I read it online, but I need to get a nice hard copy.

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
03-10-2019, 07:52 AM
I have the book Gene mentions: Legends That Libel Lincoln. Recommend it!

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user