02-02-2019, 05:38 PM
Music in the Life of President Lincoln
Thank you to Laurie for sending:

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Music in the Life of President Lincoln

Thursday, February 14, at 7:00 p.m.
William G. McGowan Theater
Presented in partnership with the Virginia Chamber Orchestra and
the Lincoln Group of the District of Columbia.

Join us for a very special program exploring President Lincoln’s musical tastes. With video clips of the Virginia Chamber Orchestra projected on screen, a distinguished panel will discuss music in the Lincoln White House, the many performances Lincoln attended, and the role music played in his life during the Civil War. Moderated by Robert Aubry Davis, host of Millennium of Music and WETA’s Around Town; panelists include Christian McWhirter, Lincoln Historian, and author of Battle Hymns, The Power and Popularity of Music in the Civil War; JohnStauffer, Professor, Harvard University, and author of The Battle Hymn of the Republic; Elizabeth Smith Brownstein, author of Lincoln’s Other White House; and Betty C. Monkman, former White House Chief Curator and author of The White House: Its Historic Furnishings and First Families.

National Archives, Special Events Entrance, 7th Street and Constitution Avenue, NW, http://www.archives.gov

Reservations: archivesfoundation.org/events
or 202-357-6814
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-28-2019, 12:38 PM
RE: Music in the Life of President Lincoln
So can anyone list any of the music for those who didn’t attend?

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-28-2019, 09:53 PM
I can't answer your question, Bill, but "music" got me thinking. As readers here know, our county has been fighting an atheist group that wants to tear down a WWI memorial to our county men who died in that war. Known as the Peace Cross, it stands forty feet high on a island in the middle of a busy intersection. However, even though it was erected in the 1920s by the American Legion, it was turned over to a state agency in the 1960s, and they maintain it as a park.

That gives the anti-religion group an in to protest for its removal (the old separation of church and state). The suits have now made it to the Supreme Court where arguments were heard yesterday. I happen to work for the government agency that owns the Peace Cross. We were discussing the situation at work, and I was reminded of the hymn that was sung at the funeral of President George H.W. Bush, and I wanted to hear it again.

Lincoln said the words first - The Last Full Measure of Devotion - but the hymn puts even more magic into those words. Here is a beautiful rendition that I wish the Supreme Court Justices could hear so that they would realize that that forty-foot cross memorializes men that fought and died so that groups like the protesters could exist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1WgIeNkkHY

There is also a magnificent version performed by the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. Lincoln knew how to choose his words, and President Bush knew how to choose his funeral music.
03-01-2019, 08:46 AM
Thank you Laurie. The hymn is beautful. I fear the cross will be removed- but I hope not. I saw on a news feed this morning that a status of McKinley has been removed. Why? I think there will be no end to this trend.

Bill Nash
03-01-2019, 10:18 PM (This post was last modified: 03-01-2019 10:26 PM by L Verge.)
(03-01-2019 08:46 AM)LincolnMan Wrote:  Thank you Laurie. The hymn is beautful. I fear the cross will be removed- but I hope not. I saw on a news feed this morning that a status of McKinley has been removed. Why? I think there will be no end to this trend.

According to one source from San Francisco, McKinley is the latest victim because "McKinley's expansionist policies are now widely viewed as racist toward indigenous people. During his presidential tenure at the turn of the century, McKinley annexed tribal lands in the western U.S. and Hawaii in the name of Manifest Destiny."

That leaves some very wide doors open in the Western Hemisphere from the 1400s on...

Grover Cleveland and Benjamin Harrison better watch out. Where do their memorials stand? They are going to have more than [a] Wounded Knee to worry about. The Sioux were likely nothing compared to the modern warriors who are set on destroying anything that gives them angst (or publicity).

I'm waiting for the backlash to a new home decorating fashion. It is now popular to hang cotton boll wreaths on doors and place vases with silk cotton boll stems on tables or kitchen counters. You can bet it won't be popular for very long. A certain state's first lady just learned the hard way.
03-02-2019, 06:36 AM
Very sad. Reminds me of what Lincoln said about the country being destroyed from within.

Bill Nash
03-02-2019, 04:57 PM (This post was last modified: 03-02-2019 07:29 PM by L Verge.)
(03-02-2019 06:36 AM)LincolnMan Wrote:  Very sad. Reminds me of what Lincoln said about the country being destroyed from within.

There are several ways to conquer and destroy a country/civilization, and wiping out the history is one of them. With the hit that history courses are taking now, that won't be hard to do in many areas of the U.S. If you are not taught history, you won't know history.

I will send Roger something to post that I received from a fellow, amateur historian today in regards to what is planned at a future presidential library. Forget original source materials, everything will be digitized (and redacted?). Is this preserving history or changing/destroying it for future researchers?

Here is the link Laurie referred to:

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/...ter-225207
03-03-2019, 02:37 PM
No words...

Bill Nash
03-04-2019, 11:23 AM
I echo Bill's no words.

They have killed Papa dead
03-04-2019, 01:35 PM (This post was last modified: 03-04-2019 02:22 PM by Gene C.)
(03-01-2019 10:18 PM)L Verge Wrote:  I'm waiting for the backlash to a new home decorating fashion. It is now popular to hang cotton boll wreaths on doors and place vases with silk cotton boll stems on tables or kitchen counters. You can bet it won't be popular for very long. A certain state's first lady just learned the hard way.

I am impressed, didn't know Laurie was such a trend setter.
I just checked, since your post three days ago, the Hobby Lobby Cotton Wreath just dropped in price from $59.99 to $29.99.
https://www.hobbylobby.com/Home-Decor-Fr...1-80752395

This reminds me of a song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zji2Jd7pyg
(Lyrics under "show more")

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
03-04-2019, 04:28 PM
(03-04-2019 01:35 PM)Gene C Wrote:  
(03-01-2019 10:18 PM)L Verge Wrote:  I'm waiting for the backlash to a new home decorating fashion. It is now popular to hang cotton boll wreaths on doors and place vases with silk cotton boll stems on tables or kitchen counters. You can bet it won't be popular for very long. A certain state's first lady just learned the hard way.

I just checked, since your post three days ago, the Hobby Lobby Cotton Wreath just dropped in price from $59.99 to $29.99.

Trust me, I would not have a cotton boll of anything in my house - I'm not the country kitchen type. However, Marylanders were not good at raising cotton (too cold up here - but I do have an 1845 jacquard coverlet - date woven in - created by my great-great-grandmother and servants from Egyptian cotton that was attempted as a crop on their plantation).

Tobacco is more to Maryland's liking (and some is still grown down here), and I would love to see those beautiful flowers once again - before they were topped off in late summer. We used to place them on our church altar, along with Queen Anne's Lace, and they were beautiful.
03-04-2019, 04:43 PM
(02-28-2019 09:53 PM)L Verge Wrote:  I can't answer your question, Bill, but "music" got me thinking. As readers here know, our county has been fighting an atheist group that wants to tear down a WWI memorial to our county men who died in that war. Known as the Peace Cross, it stands forty feet high on a island in the middle of a busy intersection. However, even though it was erected in the 1920s by the American Legion, it was turned over to a state agency in the 1960s, and they maintain it as a park.

That gives the anti-religion group an in to protest for its removal (the old separation of church and state). The suits have now made it to the Supreme Court where arguments were heard yesterday. I happen to work for the government agency that owns the Peace Cross. We were discussing the situation at work, and I was reminded of the hymn that was sung at the funeral of President George H.W. Bush, and I wanted to hear it again.

Lincoln said the words first - The Last Full Measure of Devotion - but the hymn puts even more magic into those words. Here is a beautiful rendition that I wish the Supreme Court Justices could hear so that they would realize that that forty-foot cross memorializes men that fought and died so that groups like the protesters could exist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1WgIeNkkHY

There is also a magnificent version performed by the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. Lincoln knew how to choose his words, and President Bush knew how to choose his funeral music.

Laurie, That is so beautiful.
03-05-2019, 08:00 AM
(03-04-2019 01:35 PM)Gene C Wrote:  

Love your song posts Gene

Bill Nash