US Good News Story
10-27-2018, 11:06 PM
US Good News Story
https://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/la...2bb74a59f4

"I couldn't let him get away with it," Delcambre said. "The Magna Carta is one of the most important documents in the world."

An American tourist from Louisiana has reportedly tackled a hammer-wielding thief who unsuccessfully tried to steal the Magna Carta at Salisbury Cathedral, holding him on the ground until help could arrive.

Matt Delcambre told The Sun newspaper in an interview published on Saturday that he and his wife Alexis were sightseeing in the southwestern English city when a man tried to shatter the glass encasing the precious manuscript after a fire alarm was set off in the Chapter House of the building.

Amid the confusion, Delcambre grabbed the suspect as he fled.

"I just had to stop him," the 56-year old was quoted by The Sun as saying.

Delcambre, the director for the Center for Business & Information Technologies at the University of Louisiana at Lafayette, said he held him on the ground until security could arrive.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-28-2018, 05:15 AM
RE: US Good News Story
I think sometimes American tourists have a poor reputation; this was nice to read. Thank you for posting, Michael.
10-28-2018, 05:11 PM (This post was last modified: 10-29-2018 06:41 AM by Eva Elisabeth.)
Salisbury Cathedral as well as the town and area are must-sees. I've spent a month there, long ago. As for US tourists I can assure there's no bad reputation.
10-28-2018, 05:14 PM
(10-28-2018 05:11 PM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  As for US tourists I can assure there's no bad reputation

This is wonderful to hear. Thanks, Eva!
10-28-2018, 07:24 PM
Eva, what's wrong with white socks from a European perspective?
10-28-2018, 07:30 PM
I echo Eva's comments. My wife and I have been on several coach tours where about half the group were US. There was not a single one of them that I would consider as unfriendly (quite the reverse) or obnoxious (always very very polite). We have though had experiences with some Australians that I wasnt too proud of (very loud talking on mobile phones).
10-28-2018, 07:33 PM (This post was last modified: 10-28-2018 09:03 PM by Eva Elisabeth.)
(10-28-2018 07:24 PM)Steve Wrote:  Eva, what's wrong with white socks from a European perspective?
Not my personal option (goes for all) - white tennis socks outside the tennis court don't meet the dress code and fashion. Nothing wrong, just revealing.
10-29-2018, 10:36 AM
I better alert my grandson to ditch the white socks when he goes to Europe. He wears them all the time except when dressed up, and then the socks are a solid, dark color.