The Civil War in 3D
09-30-2012, 09:02 PM
The Civil War in 3D
Most of today was spent with a special luncheon, meeting, and program for Surratt House. For months, several of the members of this forum have been working with David Richardson of California, who has colorized and 3D'd approximately 2200 Civil War photographs from the Library of Congress and about 800 from the National Archives. His objective is to show the Civil War battles and scenes as the Civil War soldiers saw them - in 3D and color.

We were fortunate to be able to couple with an Antietam project to bring Mr. Richardson east for a week of presentations. Don't worry, we were treated to only a small portion of his collection; but it is amazing what computer enhancement has done to these images.

If Mr. Richardson is ever in your neighborhood, treat yourself and go to his presentation.

P.S. He knows his history just as well as he knows his photography techniques. We had a general history of the Civil War from 1861 through the assassination and conspirators.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-30-2012, 10:36 PM
RE: The Civil War in 3D
Is this their web site?

http://civilwarin3d.com/

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
10-01-2012, 06:38 AM
Yes, Gene - that is the correct URL -

The presentation was extremely impressive -- and Mr. Richard is a wonderful speaker. By all means, don't miss him if he's in your area!

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
10-01-2012, 06:49 AM
(10-01-2012 06:38 AM)BettyO Wrote:  Yes, Gene - that is the correct URL -

The presentation was extremely impressive -- and Mr. Richard is a wonderful speaker. By all means, don't miss him if he's in your area!

The photos are amazing. I'm intrigued with one that shows a soldier with what look like his wife and kids in a tent. Did they take their families to war with them?

‘I’ve danced at Abraham Lincoln’s birthday bash... I’ve peaked.’
Leigh Boswell - The Open Doorway.
http://earthkandi.blogspot.co.uk/
10-01-2012, 07:45 AM
Reminds me of the book Lincoln in 3D. Cool!

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-01-2012, 07:56 AM
(10-01-2012 06:49 AM)MaddieM Wrote:  
(10-01-2012 06:38 AM)BettyO Wrote:  Yes, Gene - that is the correct URL -

The photos are amazing. I'm intrigued with one that shows a soldier with what look like his wife and kids in a tent. Did they take their families to war with them?

That particular photo is taken at a winter camp, Maddie. Sometimes their wives or others came into winter camp to work as laundresses as this lady has done. She has brought her children with her, including the family dog. During the winter there were few battles as they sat and waited for the Spring campaigns to gear up. Exceptions were the battles of Fredericksburg and Murfreesboro -

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley