Harold Holzer's collection on the (auction) block
09-20-2018, 10:17 AM
Harold Holzer's collection on the (auction) block
https://www.lohud.com/story/news/local/w...333249002/
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-21-2018, 06:21 AM
RE: Harold Holzer's collection on the (auction) block
Guess he felt it was time? We who collect things are potentially faced with the same decision. I know my children don’t want my Lincoln collectables.

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-21-2018, 12:19 PM (This post was last modified: 09-21-2018 09:22 PM by David Lockmiller.)
(09-20-2018 10:17 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  https://www.lohud.com/story/news/local/w...333249002/

This article reads in part:

The 1907 bronze relief by sculptor Victor D. Brenner came to the attention of President Theodore Roosevelt who wanted the U.S. Mint to honor the centennial of Lincoln's 1809 birth by placing him on the cent piece, the first circulating coin to honor a U.S. president.

(If you look through a magnifying glass at Lincoln's shoulder on the penny, you'll see the sculptor's initials, VDB.)

The Brenner sculpture measures 7 x 9½ inches and is mounted on green marble.

Recently, The New York Times published a review of Doris Kearns Goodwin's new book:The True Grit of Four American Presidents - LEADERSHIP In Turbulent Times.

The review begins: “The story of Theodore Roosevelt is the story of a small boy who read about great men and decided he wanted to be like them.”

The acclaimed presidential biographer Doris Kearns Goodwin quotes this line from “The Boys’ Life of Theodore Roosevelt,” a 1918 volume by Hermann Hagedorn, one of Roosevelt’s earliest biographers.

President Roosevelt took on the monopolists of his time and he won. And, the well-being of this democracy was much better for this victory. President Roosevelt's principal inspiration was President Abraham Lincoln.

Listed as Lot 163 in the upcoming auction, the Brenner sculpture is expected to fetch $1,500 to $2,500.

I wish that I had a spare $2,500.

LincolnMan, this is one "Lincoln and Roosevelt" collectable that any woman's (sorry about that previous omission, Laurie and Eva) and/or man's children should want to have.

"So very difficult a matter is it to trace and find out the truth of anything by history." -- Plutarch
09-21-2018, 01:33 PM
(09-21-2018 12:19 PM)David Lockmiller Wrote:  President Roosevelt's principal inspiration was President Abraham Lincoln.

David, I have read similar. President Roosevelt wore a ring containing a lock of Lincoln's hair when he was inaugurated in 1905. The hair had been cut by Dr. Charles C. Taft, one of the attending physicians the night of the assassination. The hair was purchased by John Hay on February 9, 1905, and was given to Roosevelt less than a month later. In his Autobiography, Roosevelt wrote, "When I was inaugurated on March 4, 1905, I wore a ring he (John Hay) sent me the night before, containing the hair of Abraham Lincoln. This ring was on my finger when the Chief Justice administered to me the oath of allegiance to the United States."
09-21-2018, 09:07 PM
(09-21-2018 01:33 PM)RJNorton Wrote:  
(09-21-2018 12:19 PM)David Lockmiller Wrote:  President Roosevelt's principal inspiration was President Abraham Lincoln.

David, I have read similar. President Roosevelt wore a ring containing a lock of Lincoln's hair when he was inaugurated in 1905. The hair had been cut by Dr. Charles C. Taft, one of the attending physicians the night of the assassination. The hair was purchased by John Hay on February 9, 1905, and was given to Roosevelt less than a month later. In his Autobiography, Roosevelt wrote, "When I was inaugurated on March 4, 1905, I wore a ring he (John Hay) sent me the night before, containing the hair of Abraham Lincoln. This ring was on my finger when the Chief Justice administered to me the oath of allegiance to the United States."

Thank you for that, Roger. That was an absolutely amazing story.

John Hay was United States Secretary of State under Presidents William McKinley and Theodore Roosevelt. John Hay must have been informed by President-to-be Theodore Roosevelt of how important President Abraham Lincoln had been in his own personal and political life.

Theodore Roosevelt acknowledged his benefactor in preserving the institution of democracy by wearing the gifted ring at his inauguration the next day. Interesting, John Hay waited, until the night before the Chief Justice of the United States Supreme Court administered the Oath of Office for President to Theodore Roosevelt, to give to Roosevelt this gift.

"So very difficult a matter is it to trace and find out the truth of anything by history." -- Plutarch
09-22-2018, 02:56 PM (This post was last modified: 09-22-2018 03:03 PM by L Verge.)
Teddy Roosevelt was only six when he and his brother, Elliot, watched Lincoln's funeral procession in New York from a window ledge. Edith Carow (later wife of Teddy) is the one who identified the two boys in that now-famous photo, and she claimed that she was also in the room. However, she said that she was three at the time and all the black drapings and crowds of people made her scared and she began to wail and was taken out of the room.

President and Mrs. Lincoln were friends with Roosevelt's father and had attended church with him. That alone would seem impressive to a young boy. To add an assassination and impressive funeral to his memories would certainly be a big stimulus to his worship of the martyred President.

As president, Theodore told friends that Lincoln was “my great hero” and that he meant “more to me than any other of our public men.” Noting a Lincoln portrait he had hung on his office wall in the White House, he said, “I look up to that picture, and I do as I believe Lincoln would have done.” Somewhere ages ago, I believe that I read that Theodore Roosevelt once gave a speech on Lincoln??

Found the speech: http://www.emersonkent.com/speeches/linc...ddress.htm
09-22-2018, 09:17 PM
Take a look at his collection here: https://www.swanngalleries.com/3dcat/2486-1/18/
09-23-2018, 07:30 AM (This post was last modified: 09-23-2018 07:47 AM by Gene C.)
Wow! What a collection.
I'd like to just get a copy of the catalogue. ($35)
My wife is shaking her head no

(But honey, think of all the money I saved by not buying anything)

I noticed a nice painting of William Stoddard, one of Lincoln's White House secretaries (page 39)
Painted by Francis Carpenter.

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
10-05-2018, 07:31 PM
(09-21-2018 12:19 PM)David Lockmiller Wrote:  
(09-20-2018 10:17 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  https://www.lohud.com/story/news/local/w...333249002/

Listed as Lot 163 in the upcoming auction, the Brenner sculpture is expected to fetch $1,500 to $2,500.

Sale 2486 Lot 163

MODEL FOR THE COPPER PENNY (SCULPTURE.) Brenner, Victor D. Abraham Lincoln, 1809-1865. Bronze relief plaque, 9 1/2 x 7 inches, with foundry mark of S. Klaber & Co. on lower left edge, mounted on a slab of green marble, 10 1/2 x 8 1/4 inches, with metal stand on verso. New York, 1907

Victor David Brenner (1871-1924) was already a successful sculptor and medal producer when he created this Lincoln plaque in 1907. An example came to the attention of President Theodore Roosevelt, who wanted the United States Mint to produce a penny honoring Lincoln. Brenner was commissioned to create the penny design based on this plaque--the first coin honoring a United States president. It remains the best-known image of Lincoln today, and each coin still bears Brenner's initials below the shoulder.

Price Realized (with Buyer's Premium) $4,500

10-05-2018, 11:17 PM
Wow! $4,500 for a model of a copper penny.

Does that make cents to you?

10-06-2018, 09:35 AM
(10-05-2018 11:17 PM)Gene C Wrote:  Wow! $4,500 for a model of a copper penny.

How many Lincoln pennies have been made because of President Teddy Roosevelt's admiration of President Abraham Lincoln?

Each and every penny is a potential reminder to someone at sometime of all that President Abraham Lincoln accomplished for this nation and the institution of democracy for the entire world.

Does that make sense to you?

10-06-2018, 06:14 PM
That makes sense to me.

10-06-2018, 06:42 PM (This post was last modified: 10-06-2018 06:47 PM by L Verge.)
I remember a movement a few years back, however, to abandon the penny...

https://www.worldfinance.com/strategy/ar...e-to-exist
10-06-2018, 07:28 PM

I like(d) the pun...
10-06-2018, 10:37 PM
(10-06-2018 07:28 PM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  

I like(d) the pun...

Agreed. I envy Gene his quick wit.