Historic Maryland: The Surratt House
09-08-2018, 07:44 AM
Historic Maryland: The Surratt House
Thanks to Laurie for sending this link. This is a a video about Surratt House produced by Riderwood TV. The video was made last July. Enjoy!

https://vimeo.com/288792145
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-08-2018, 08:34 AM
RE: Historic Maryland: The Surratt House
Excellent!

Thanks for sharing.

Bob
09-09-2018, 07:25 AM
Excellent video -

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
09-09-2018, 04:56 PM
Well done. Kudos! Hope to visit some day.
09-09-2018, 05:22 PM
Great job everybody!

Thomas Kearney, Professional Photobomber.
09-10-2018, 11:40 AM
Excellent video. Very well done, especially the use of old photos and images. I know not many images of Anna Surratt exist and I was particularly interested in the image of Anna at 7:58 in the video. I don't believe I'd seen that one. Wonder is there is a potential date for that image. Also I wish I could see more photos of the interior of the house at the time it was acquired by the M-NCPPC. Such pre-restoration photos interest me.
09-10-2018, 12:58 PM
(09-10-2018 11:40 AM)Dennis Urban Wrote:  Excellent video. Very well done, especially the use of old photos and images. I know not many images of Anna Surratt exist and I was particularly interested in the image of Anna at 7:58 in the video. I don't believe I'd seen that one. Wonder is there is a potential date for that image. Also I wish I could see more photos of the interior of the house at the time it was acquired by the M-NCPPC. Such pre-restoration photos interest me.

We believe that Anna had this photo taken shortly after moving to DC in the late fall of 1864, which would make her just shy of 22 (born on New Year's Day in 1843).

Dennis - contact joan.chaconas@pgparks.com. She is the keeper of our photographic archives, from whence came the old photos and engravings used in this video. She can scan and send for a slight fee.
09-10-2018, 01:26 PM
I wonder if she had it taken on the same occasion Nora Fitzpatrick had her photograph made.

Laurie, are there scans available of the photos in the album in the display case at the gift shop?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-10-2018, 03:04 PM
(09-10-2018 01:26 PM)Susan Higginbotham Wrote:  I wonder if she had it taken on the same occasion Nora Fitzpatrick had her photograph made.

Laurie, are there scans available of the photos in the album in the display case at the gift shop?

No, there are not; and the album is fragile, some of the CDVs are glued in, and that showcase is a devil to move and get into the back openings.
09-11-2018, 11:33 AM
Laurie, et al.:

Thanks for the great video.

John
09-12-2018, 12:28 PM
That is such a wonderful video! Very well done and professional

On the subject of Surratt photos, here is a photo I bid on but did not win. It is a CDV, taken by Brady in Washington D.C. I think someone else was thinking the same thing. I'd like your thoughts on whether this is Mary (I'm not sure):

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/2CEAAOSwY...-l1600.jpg
09-12-2018, 01:43 PM
Hi Warren. I am going to vote "no," because it looks to me that the lady in the photo (when it's enlarged) appears to have a mole under her left eye (on the right side as one looks at the photo). The existing photos I have seen of Mary have no mole in that spot on the face.

Here is Mary with no visible mole alongside the other lady:

[Image: surratt9.jpg][Image: isthismaryesurratt.jpg]
09-12-2018, 02:04 PM
(09-12-2018 01:43 PM)RJNorton Wrote:  Hi Warren. I am going to vote "no," because it looks to me that the lady in the photo (when it's enlarged) appears to have a mole under her left eye (on the right side as one looks at the photo). The existing photos I have seen of Mary have no mole in that spot on the face.

Here is Mary with no visible mole alongside the other lady:

[Image: surratt9.jpg][Image: isthismaryesurratt.jpg]

A very, very good eye, Roger! I had not noticed that. And thanks for the side by side comparison.
09-12-2018, 04:54 PM
Having compared the real Mary's photo(s) to many, many other wanna-be Mary photos, I can say that this one is sure better than most; but, Roger is correct -- t'aint our gal.
09-15-2018, 01:47 PM
That video is great!

"The interment of John Booth was without trickery or stealth, but no barriers of evidence, no limits of reason ever halted the Great American Myth." - George S. Bryan, The Great American Myth