Walter Stahr Book on Seward
09-28-2012, 02:07 PM
Walter Stahr Book on Seward
Just received notice that Walter Stahr, author of the new book on Seward: Lincoln's Indispensable Man will be lecturing and signing at a free event on October 23 at the McGowan Theatre at the National Archives in Washington, D.C. Info at public.program@nara.gov or 202-357-5000.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-28-2012, 02:47 PM
RE: Walter Stahr Book on Seward
Laurie -

Are ya'll carrying that book at the Surratt House?

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
09-28-2012, 03:35 PM
We don't have it in stock yet, but we will be doing a limited first-time purchase to see how well it sells. Storage and shelf space is a problem for us.
09-28-2012, 08:51 PM
I briefly thumbed through he book yesterday. I has a real nice feel to it and will be on my "buy" list. I will put it a shameless plug here. I try to buy exclusively from two sources, The Surratt House bookstore and the bookstore(s) at Ford's Theatre. In the fore mentioned, prices are excellent. In the case of the Surratt House, they have great inventory, and the money could not be better spent, both for the product and it helps support the Surratt Society.
09-29-2012, 04:53 PM
I had ordered this and it came today -- I agree, Jim! Looks REALLY good - can't wait to get into it! Had I known that Surratt Society would have it, I'd have gotten it there.....!

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
10-01-2012, 02:09 PM
Walter Stahr posted in his blog about his talk in Auburn on September 18.

http://walterstahr.com/2012/09/seward-and-auburn/

Here's a list of his upcoming appearances:

http://walterstahr.com/news-events/
10-01-2012, 02:43 PM
Thanks, Linda! It IS a very good book -- I'd love to hear him speak!

10-18-2012, 12:32 PM (This post was last modified: 10-18-2012 01:48 PM by RJNorton.)
This came from the folks at President Lincoln's Cottage (also in Linda's link above):

[Image: cottageconversations1.jpg]
10-18-2012, 01:29 PM
Thanks, Roger. He will also be on C-SPAN on Nov 4 which is great for those of us who cannot see him in person.

November 4, 2012, 8 and 11 PM, EST, Q&A on CSPAN.
10-26-2012, 08:36 AM
Thanks to Bob Cook for sending this audio link to an All Things Considered interview with Walter Stahr.
10-26-2012, 10:00 PM
(10-26-2012 08:36 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  Thanks to Bob Cook for sending this audio link to an All Things Considered interview with Walter Stahr.

Roger,
Thanks for the link.

Craig
11-05-2012, 11:03 AM
I am reading Stahr's book now and it is hard to put down. A worthy companion volume to Thomas & Hyman's Stanton--the other indispenable man to Lincoln.
01-07-2014, 02:33 PM
Anyone finished reading this?
What did you think?

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
03-28-2014, 10:33 AM
Seward's Day inspires visit

Quoting from the article:

"A notable biographer of William Henry Seward’s will be visiting Seward, the home of Alaska’s flag, this Friday. New York Times bestselling author of “Seward: Lincoln’s Indispensable Man,” Walter Stahr, will discuss his book and research of William H. Seward and Alaska."

[Image: sewardalaska.jpg]
Aerial view of Seward, Alaska

I saw on the news today that there is a petition on the White House website calling for support for Alaska to secede from the U.S. and become a part of Russia.
03-28-2014, 01:22 PM
(01-07-2014 02:33 PM)Gene C Wrote:  Anyone finished reading this?
What did you think?

I read this book and thought is was excellent. I was surprised that there was not much else (at leas recent) out there devoted to such an important person as Seward. I was thankful to find this book.

I had the opportunity to listen to Mr. Stahr speak at the 2013 Lincoln Forum. He was a very good speaker and gave an interesting talk. That evening I sat next to him at dinner, and in conversation he mentioned that he was working on his next project: a biography of Edwin Stanton. He also has that information posted to his website:

http://walterstahr.com/bio-landing/biography/

Looks like he intends to have it published in 2016. I will be anxiously looking forward to that one!

Scott