Today´s view of the conspirators
07-01-2018, 10:52 AM
Today´s view of the conspirators
Hello everyone!

I´m new to this forum and would like to thank all of you for the amazing source of information you provide. Being Swedish my English might be a bit flawed at times so if there is any confusion regarding my posts, please let me know and please bear with me.

I spend a lot of time devouring every book I can find on the Civil War and with time I have started to lean towards the Lincoln assassination and the conspirators. While there is a lot of information available about the historical events I am interested in how these are viewed in America today.

Is there a noticeable taboo surrounding the conspirators? I read a post by Dave Taylor on BoothieBarn regarding the debate concerning removal of Confederate memorials. Is there more tension within the country today and if so, what impact does it have on researching, teaching or in other ways being in touch with the assassination as a subject?

I am visiting the USA in July and I hope to see as many historical places and memorials as possible on my "Civil War/Conspiracy Tour".
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-01-2018, 11:41 AM
RE: Today´s view of the conspirators
Welcome to the Forum, SofiJan! I don't think there's any taboo specifically about any of the conspirators.

I hope you have a fun time visiting our country!
07-01-2018, 12:15 PM
(07-01-2018 11:41 AM)Steve Wrote:  Welcome to the Forum, SofiJan! I don't think there's any taboo specifically about any of the conspirators.

I hope you have a fun time visiting our country!

I second Steve, Sofi. We are very pleased you joined the forum!
07-01-2018, 01:21 PM (This post was last modified: 07-01-2018 01:21 PM by L Verge.)
"Is there a noticeable taboo surrounding the conspirators? I read a post by Dave Taylor on BoothieBarn regarding the debate concerning removal of Confederate memorials. Is there more tension within the country today and if so, what impact does it have on researching, teaching or in other ways being in touch with the assassination as a subject?"

I am almost 75 years old and have been a nut on the Lincoln assassination story for about 65 years. I was a teacher of history and government for nearly a decade and have now been director of the Surratt House Museum for 35 years (and a volunteer there for 8 years before that). I can honestly say that I have watched the black mantle be lifted from folks and topics related to the assassination over the years -- most drastically during the 1980s to present. Up to that point, I feel that there was a stigma associated with those of us who studied Lincoln, but were intrigued particularly with his assassination.

When I first began attending history groups, and specifically Lincoln groups, I felt the cold wave come over other members when they found out that I was involved with the Surratt House. In some cases, we Booth Buffs (which was our first "designation," which later turned to "Boothies") were pretty much shunned or ignored. It was almost as if we were modern day Lincoln assassins. For example, one such Lincoln Group had been in business for decades and held luncheon meetings. My sidekick, Joan Chaconas, and I decided that we would attend a luncheon.

First, we happened to be the only women at the meeting. There were probably 30-40 middle-aged and ancient men who liked the bar menu as much as they did Mr. Lincoln. Somehow, conversation before the program got around to Booth and the conspirators. My ears were burning! One gent was at least 90 and putting away bottles (not glasses) of red wine. Mention was made of Mary Surratt, and in a loud voice, he proclaimed that, "She got just what she deserved!" Now, he might have been stunned to find out that I believe Mary was part of the original plot, but that the evidence did not justify her punishment. I chose to remain silent.

I am happy to say that the atmosphere has changed dramatically - especially when some very learned Boothies began researching and writing some excellent books on the assassination. At the museum, we soon found that there are a vast number of ordinary people out there who are interested in the subject and want to know more. The assassination authors and experts began speaking to school groups, civic groups, history forums, anywhere that there was an interested audience. I feel that those of our group who are well-versed and objective in the study of Lincoln's assassination have opened the doors to a more accepting audience than what we encountered forty years ago.

As far as the current brouhaha over the Confederate memorials: Yes, there is more tension (especially among those who do not know their history - or are determined to destroy vestiges of it). Like so many "causes" here in the U.S., it is driven by liberals vs. conservatives and media that love the stories they can make money on (and of course, by those who just want to be rabble rousers). As someone who was raised in a diverse neighborhood, taught when Maryland desegregated its schools, and learned from the true civil rights leaders, I wish this so-called movement would turn its attention to ways to overcome what still divides us -- and removing statues and changing names of buildings and highways is not going to cut it.

However, I do not think that you will encounter any problems in visiting sites or research centers while visiting. If they are reputable historians and/or educators, they will keep their personal opinions to themselves while assisting visitors and researchers. I hope that all will follow the mission that we have adhered to at Surratt House since 1975, and that is to tell both sides of any story and hope that the visitors or students will do their homework to learn more and to make up their own minds as to what a logical conclusion might be.

Other than that, Sofi, we are so happy to have you on the forum. I do hope that your visit to the U.S. and to D.C. will include a trip to Surratt House. We are just 15 miles from Ford's Theatre. I am usually there Mondays-Fridays - our tours are Wednesdays-Fridays from 11 am to 3 pm (last tour begins at 2:30) and the weekends, both Saturday and Sunday, tours are from 12 noon to 4 pm (last tour at 3:30). My office is right inside the visitors' center, so ask for Laurie.
07-01-2018, 02:20 PM
Welcome aboard, Sofi!

You’ll find us Boothies a friendly, helpful group who always love talking about the assassination! Laurie said it all!

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
07-01-2018, 08:26 PM
(07-01-2018 10:52 AM)SofiJan Wrote:  Hello everyone!

I´m new to this forum and would like to thank all of you for the amazing source of information you provide. Being Swedish my English might be a bit flawed at times so if there is any confusion regarding my posts, please let me know and please bear with me.

I spend a lot of time devouring every book I can find on the Civil War and with time I have started to lean towards the Lincoln assassination and the conspirators. While there is a lot of information available about the historical events I am interested in how these are viewed in America today.

Is there a noticeable taboo surrounding the conspirators? I read a post by Dave Taylor on BoothieBarn regarding the debate concerning removal of Confederate memorials. Is there more tension within the country today and if so, what impact does it have on researching, teaching or in other ways being in touch with the assassination as a subject?

I am visiting the USA in July and I hope to see as many historical places and memorials as possible on my "Civil War/Conspiracy Tour".

Sofijan:

Welcome. We are glad to have you.

Is there a noticeable taboo, etc.? It depends on who you talk to. Generally speaking: No; there is a consensus that they were all in some degree guilty, except Spangler. There is not, however, consensus as to their sentences. Remember, too, that many who were involved in the conspiracy were never even tried, much less punished. There were various reasons for this. Booth and his action team were only one part of the underground mosaic.

I do believe there is more tension in the country because of the issue of removal of Confederate statuary and memorials. I'm with Laurie on this one: sometimes it is better to let sleeping dogs lie, or, if not, to at least wake them slowly. I do not, however, believe that the greater tension affects assassination study. The best resource for this study is the Surratt Society's library in Clinton, Maryland, but there are other good resources, including me (jcf@neohio.twcbc.com).

Good luck.

John
07-01-2018, 08:35 PM
Welcome to the club, Sofi! You've come to the right place for all things Lincoln assassination. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Thomas Kearney, Professional Photobomber.
07-02-2018, 04:50 AM (This post was last modified: 07-02-2018 04:52 AM by SofiJan.)
Thank you for your replies!

I´m very glad I found this forum. In Sweden my Civil War interest is fairly uncommon, at least when it comes to the assassination. Some people might have heard of the name "Booth" but mention any other conspiracy associated names and faces will turn into question marks.

Laurie: Thank you for your post. You and others were true pioneers! The assassination is such an important subject and I don´t think it can ever be studied enough. Of course Surratt House is among my destinations! I will most likely visit during the last weekend in July. I am really looking forward to it and I´m bringing an extra suitcase for all the books that I am going to buy. You have a fantastic list of titles in your gift shop!
07-02-2018, 11:18 AM
(07-02-2018 04:50 AM)SofiJan Wrote:  Thank you for your replies!

I´m very glad I found this forum. In Sweden my Civil War interest is fairly uncommon, at least when it comes to the assassination. Some people might have heard of the name "Booth" but mention any other conspiracy associated names and faces will turn into question marks.

Laurie: Thank you for your post. You and others were true pioneers! The assassination is such an important subject and I don´t think it can ever be studied enough. Of course Surratt House is among my destinations! I will most likely visit during the last weekend in July. I am really looking forward to it and I´m bringing an extra suitcase for all the books that I am going to buy. You have a fantastic list of titles in your gift shop!

Let me know your final plans on what day you will be at Surratt House, and I will try to make every effort to be there. Our research center is not usually open on weekends except by prior arrangement. If you want to visit it, I'll put you in touch with the librarian.

(Hint to Betty O) Since Sofi is especially interested in Lewis Powell, maybe you could make the trek to Surratt House that day to meet with her??? Sofi - In case you don't already know, Betty O is Betty Ownsbey, author of Alias Paine, and the top scholar on him and a wonderful assassination expert all around. Like me, she is an original Boothie that had to help break barriers, both as an assassination scholar and as a woman in its history field.
07-02-2018, 01:32 PM
Thanks for the kind words, Laurie! It’s a great idea....

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
07-02-2018, 01:43 PM
It would be amazing to meet you Laurie and also Betty if she is able to find the time.

I might be able to rearrange my schedule a bit in order to find a day that would suit you better if the weekend is a bad time. Also, I would love to spend some time in the research center!

Betty - I figured out who you are while reading various forum threads. In my search for information on Powell, your book has meant the world to me!
07-02-2018, 04:09 PM
(07-02-2018 01:43 PM)SofiJan Wrote:  It would be amazing to meet you Laurie and also Betty if she is able to find the time.

I might be able to rearrange my schedule a bit in order to find a day that would suit you better if the weekend is a bad time. Also, I would love to spend some time in the research center!

Betty - I figured out who you are while reading various forum threads. In my search for information on Powell, your book has meant the world to me!

How much of the Booth trail would you like to see? Most of the sites are still in existence. A good idea would be to visit Surratt House on the Friday, take the tour and use the research center. If you would like to see all (or at least some) sites, you could do that on Saturday.

I should be able to get you a good rate at our local hotel if that would help time-wise and if you don't already have arrangements engraved in stone. I'll PM you.
07-02-2018, 04:28 PM (This post was last modified: 07-02-2018 04:30 PM by Eva Elisabeth.)
Hi Sofi, welcome to the forum! Very exciting you are from Sweden as we are virtually neighbors - I usually live in Kiel, Germany, which has a daily ferry connection to Göteborg and hence a lot of Swedish visitors...I'm afraid due to a very big exam next week I currently can just skim posts if anything, so I am not sure of Florida is on your list - two of my favorite as mystical places are there, Powell's grave, and Fort Jefferson. Much different from "commercial mass places" such as Ford's or Peterson House. Surratt museum, of course, and Booth Escape Tour, are two unforgettable "must-dos", too, and also have that authentic touching feel of getting a glimpse how it was (and great staff and bookstore...) And Gettysburg...
Back to the books...
07-02-2018, 05:20 PM
(07-02-2018 04:09 PM)L Verge Wrote:  
(07-02-2018 01:43 PM)SofiJan Wrote:  It would be amazing to meet you Laurie and also Betty if she is able to find the time.

How much of the Booth trail would you like to see? Most of the sites are still in existence. A good idea would be to visit Surratt House on the Friday, take the tour and use the research center. If you would like to see all (or at least some) sites, you could do that on Saturday.

I should be able to get you a good rate at our local hotel if that would help time-wise and if you don't already have arrangements engraved in stone. I'll PM you.

I recommend the book "In The Footsteps of an Assassin" by Mike Kauffman, which has an audio tour CD.

Thomas Kearney, Professional Photobomber.
07-02-2018, 06:32 PM (This post was last modified: 07-03-2018 03:15 AM by SofiJan.)
(07-02-2018 04:28 PM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  Hi Sofi, welcome to the forum! Very exciting you are from Sweden as we are virtually neighbors - I usually live in Kiel, Germany, which has a daily ferry connection to Göteborg and hence a lot of Swedish visitors...I'm afraid due to a very big exam next week I currently can just skim posts if anything, so I am not sure of Florida is on your list - two of my favorite as mystical places are there, Powell's grave, and Fort Jefferson. Much different from "commercial mass places" such as Ford's or Peterson House. Surratt museum, of course, and Booth Escape Tour, are two unforgettable "must-dos", too, and also have that authentic touching feel of getting a glimpse how it was (and great staff and bookstore...) And Gettysburg...
Back to the books...

Thank you! I actually live in Göteborg so I am very well acquainted with the Kiel- ferry. I have friends living in Germany so I´ve been mostly to Hamburg and around, but also in Berlin and southern Germany. Thank you for the sightseeing tips! I am going to Florida, specifically to visit Powell´s grave but if there is enough time I´d love to go to Fort Jefferson as well. I´m also visiting Surratt House, Gettysburg, the grave of David Herold, Ford´s Theatre, Mary Surratt´s Boarding House ( an Asian restaurant nowadays?), Richmond and much, much more.

(07-02-2018 05:20 PM)Thomas Kearney Wrote:  
(07-02-2018 04:09 PM)L Verge Wrote:  

I recommend the book "In The Footsteps of an Assassin" by Mike Kauffman, which has an audio tour CD.

Thank you, Thomas! I will look it up!

And now the moment of truth - did I manage to use the quote system correctly or will the entire screen look like a Picasso painting when I press "Post reply"?