Powell's Remains
09-26-2012, 06:23 PM
Powell's Remains
Just read the latest issue of the Surratt Courier. Congratulations to Betty for tracking down the long missing remains of Lewis Powell!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-27-2012, 08:02 AM (This post was last modified: 09-27-2012 08:03 AM by BettyO.)
RE: Powell's Remains
Thanks, Rick -- as far as we know that is where he lies with 1200 other Holmead residents -- I was surprised by how much Gawler kept involved with this! The family wants the grave location somewhat marked -- perhaps we can convince the authorities there to do such. It would certainly be a draw for tourists as much as Clover Adam's "Grief" monument -- as a matter of fact, Lew is in good, high toned company as the resting place is not too far from her!

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
09-27-2012, 10:26 AM (This post was last modified: 09-27-2012 07:30 PM by Linda Anderson.)
I hope they do mark Powell's grave, Betty.

The monument to Clover Adams by Saint-Gaudens is very peaceful and mysterious. It is enclosed by evergreens and there are stone benches where you can sit and contemplate the sculpture. "Clover Adams committed suicide by drinking photographic acid, evidently when she heard of her husband's affair with Elizabeth Cameron. Adams had the monument and garden built and then erased all evidence of Clover's existence." Eleanor Roosevelt, who also had a troubled marriage, would spend hours there trying to find comfort and strength.
Eleanor Roosevelt. Blanche Wiesen Cook.

A suggestion that if you go to Rock Creek Cemetery, which is located in Washington D.C., after the office closes at 5:00 PM, that you have directions to the Adams Memorial. We visited last August around 6:30 and I had to call Betty to direct us to where Clover is buried. The cemetery was closing by then and we were asked to leave so we never did get a chance to see where Powell is buried. I also found out later that Gore Vidal, author of Lincoln, was recently buried near Clover.
09-27-2012, 10:56 AM
That's fascinating Linda, I was unaware of any of this regarding Clover Adams. You are just a fountain of interesting information.

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
09-27-2012, 11:12 AM
Thanks, Gene. And the story goes on and on. Elizabeth Cameron was the wife of Senator Donald Cameron. They lived for a while in the old Tayloe house which was next door to the old Seward House on Lafayette Square.

What is very strange is that Black Aggie, which is a copy by Eduard L. A. Pausch of Clover's Memorial, is now located in the courtyard behind the Tayloe House near the site of the old Seward House. Black Aggie has been the subject of many urban legends.

This is from AN UNEXPECTED RENDEZVOUS AT THE COSMOS CLUB ON LAFAYETTE SQUARE

DANIEL B. KRINSLEY

"The cowled figure at the north end of the courtyard faces south. Behind it and to its immediate right side are the connected buildings of the old Cosmos Club where Henry Adams had met with its distinguished members to exchange ideas. In life, Clover Adams might have closed her eyes to the relationship between her husband and Lizzie Cameron. As glyptic art imitating life, the figure faces toward the Ogle Tayloe House, its eyes closed. It was in that house that Lizzie Cameron had lived and where Henry Adams had visited his great love.

"There is no more fitting and ironic place for this figure than its current location, yet its strange odyssey, documented above as serendipitous, tempts one to believe that the spirits of this Gilded Age drama have been drawn inexorably together to their familiar haunts in a ghostly return to Lafayette Square."

http://www.cosmos-club.org/web/journals/...nsley.html
09-27-2012, 02:12 PM
Powell has Osborn Oldroyd, Edward Townsend, H.H. Wells, Hugh McCulloch and A.C. Richards as neighbors.
09-27-2012, 02:19 PM
The Courier arrived today. Kudos, Betty, on all your research!
09-27-2012, 02:37 PM
(09-27-2012 02:12 PM)Rsmyth Wrote:  Powell has Osborn Oldroyd, Edward Townsend, H.H. Wells, Hugh McCulloch and A.C. Richards as neighbors.

Really, Rich?! That's great! I LOVE Oldroyd's book -- it's one of my favorites -- as to Richards -- can't say he'd be too crazy about THAT! Confused

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
09-27-2012, 03:08 PM
Betty may put duct tape on my mouth and my typing fingers, but wait until you see the rest of the new things she has found relative to the Powell story. It will be appearing in an issue of the Courier very soon.
09-27-2012, 03:13 PM
My Courier arrived today, too. Great research and article, Betty!
09-27-2012, 04:00 PM
Great job, Betty! I can't wait to hear what else you've come up with.

"There are few subjects that ignite more casual, uninformed bigotry and condescension from elites in this nation more than Dixie - Jonah Goldberg"
09-27-2012, 09:42 PM
got mine today and read it cover to cover!
Great job Betty!!
09-28-2012, 06:27 AM
Thank all of ya'll so very much --- I've had a blast researching this as well as the "Other Stuff" - and really can't stop! HA! There WILL be more, trust me!!

09-28-2012, 08:16 AM (This post was last modified: 09-28-2012 08:16 AM by Gene C.)
Read mine last night. I'm curious, because I have no idea how you do this type of research and maybe this is a trade secret, but how did you know or what led you to seek out the various newspapers that you foot-noted, in lieu (or in addition to) the DC newspapers? How did you know what dates to check?

How big are the cemetery lots? Do you know who else is burried in the lot? Any kind of headstones or markers? Do you happen to know the final resting place for Captain Wirtz? Will we have to wait till March to find out more? When will your new book be ready? (first instalment of questions)

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
09-28-2012, 09:48 AM
I learned under the masters, Gene - Messrs. Hall and Brennan. I knew that the bodies were removed from the Arsenal in 1869 and followed it from there.

Once the 2nd edition of my book is published hopefully within a few months, I'll teach you my tricks of the trade....

I don't know how big the lots are as they are not marked on the plat and there are no measurements recorded in the plat book. I just know what is recorded in the books and what the Director of the Cemetery told me. There are small stones marking which plot is which; i.e. 23, 24, etc. by number and those are sporadically placed - at least they seemed so to me.

According to most accounts, Wirtz is buried in Mount Olivet Cemetery in DC - where Mrs. Surratt is buried....