Thomas Jones
05-15-2018, 11:57 AM
Thomas Jones
Forgive me if this question has already been covered, but I ask things as I think of them.
My question is , Why wasn’t Thomas Jones tried as one of the conspirators
since he had aided Booth on his escape in the woods.
Didn’t Paine or Payne make the statement to authorities about how numerous were the people involved in the conspiracy?
Thanks in advance for replies!

Danny West
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-15-2018, 01:31 PM
RE: Thomas Jones
(05-15-2018 11:57 AM)DannyW Wrote:  Didn’t Paine or Payne make the statement to authorities about how numerous were the people involved in the conspiracy?

Danny, I believe Powell was asked whether all the conspirators had been caught, and he replied, "All I can say about that is that you have not got the one-half of them." I believe the source for the Powell quote is Thomas Eckert who visited Powell after he had been captured.
05-15-2018, 01:44 PM (This post was last modified: 05-15-2018 01:48 PM by Gene C.)
Thomas Jones was arrested, and held for a while, then released.
He was never tried.

We discussed a few years ago this book about Jones.
http://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussio...ight=jones

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
05-15-2018, 02:17 PM
Jones was a good operative -- he knew to stay quiet. The feds had rounded up a good number of Southern Maryland residents that they were suspicious of, but making a case against them required good evidence, if they were to be sent to trial. I have heard one story about Jones being questioned about the assassins using his boat. He replied, "You are going to arrest me because someone stole my boat??" The feds had already rounded up bigger fish to fry (they thought), so Jones was eventually released. One of those who lived to tell the tale - at least his version of it.
05-17-2018, 06:35 PM
(05-15-2018 02:17 PM)L Verge Wrote:  Jones was a good operative -- he knew to stay quiet.

I was told Jones was questioned while having a drink in Port Tobacco and when told of the substantial reward, he replied that if money would get him (Booth), that ought to do it.

"There are few subjects that ignite more casual, uninformed bigotry and condescension from elites in this nation more than Dixie - Jonah Goldberg"
05-26-2018, 11:06 AM
The James Owens statement is fascinating, plausible, and remarkably detailed. I am curious as to where the statement of John Lloyd to Colonel Wells directing his attention to Austin Adams at his tavern at Newport may be found. I don't recall ever reading that such a statement. Surely someone on this forum will be able to cite that attribution.

Also I am wondering if the Adams Tavern still exits and its exact location. I am traveling near that area in a two weeks and would love to explore the area between Newport and Port Tobacco. Thanks for the help.
05-26-2018, 01:34 PM
(05-26-2018 11:06 AM)Dennis Urban Wrote:  The James Owens statement is fascinating, plausible, and remarkably detailed. I am curious as to where the statement of John Lloyd to Colonel Wells directing his attention to Austin Adams at his tavern at Newport may be found. I don't recall ever reading that such a statement. Surely someone on this forum will be able to cite that attribution.

Also I am wondering if the Adams Tavern still exits and its exact location. I am traveling near that area in a two weeks and would love to explore the area between Newport and Port Tobacco. Thanks for the help.

Hopefully, Rick Smith will read this post and answer your questions. He knows a lot about the area around Allen's Fresh, Newport, and Port Tobacco, and found where he thinks the Adams' tavern once stood. If you do go into that area, please take time to visit Thomas Jones's grave at St. Mary's Catholic Church in Newport.

It would be really great if Rick could arrange to meet with you and take you into the region below LaPlata. Wonderful Civil War (and other) history down there.
05-26-2018, 03:18 PM
(05-26-2018 01:34 PM)L Verge Wrote:  
(05-26-2018 11:06 AM)Dennis Urban Wrote:  The James Owens statement is fascinating, plausible, and remarkably detailed. I am curious as to where the statement of John Lloyd to Colonel Wells directing his attention to Austin Adams at his tavern at Newport may be found. I don't recall ever reading that such a statement. Surely someone on this forum will be able to cite that attribution.

Hopefully, Rick Smith will read this post and answer your questions. He knows a lot about the area around Allen's Fresh, Newport, and Port Tobacco, and found where he thinks the Adams' tavern once stood. If you do go into that area, please take time to visit Thomas Jones's grave at St. Mary's Catholic Church in Newport.

It would be really great if Rick could arrange to meet with you and take you into the region below LaPlata. Wonderful Civil War (and other) history down there.

Dennis,

Can't help you with Lloyd's statement to Colonel Wells, who Thomas Jones called, "The blood thirstiest man I ever knew," but there may be something in the JOH Library at Surratt's. Bill Richter may have some information on this.

The Adams Tavern is no longer standing, but I think there is a very likely place at the intersection of the three roads which come together at Newport. I wrote articles on the Owens Statement a few years ago which appeared in the Surratt Courier, and which also focused on the men who rode into Newport on that Thursday evening about supper time, and the fate of their horses. If you'd like to read the articles, I'd be happy to send them.

It would be my pleasure to meet with you and drive through the area.

Rick
05-26-2018, 07:20 PM
(05-26-2018 03:18 PM)Rick Smith Wrote:  
(05-26-2018 01:34 PM)L Verge Wrote:  

Dennis,

Can't help you with Lloyd's statement to Colonel Wells, who Thomas Jones called, "The blood thirstiest man I ever knew," but there may be something in the JOH Library at Surratt's. Bill Richter may have some information on this.

The Adams Tavern is no longer standing, but I think there is a very likely place at the intersection of the three roads which come together at Newport. I wrote articles on the Owens Statement a few years ago which appeared in the Surratt Courier, and which also focused on the men who rode into Newport on that Thursday evening about supper time, and the fate of their horses. If you'd like to read the articles, I'd be happy to send them.

It would be my pleasure to meet with you and drive through the area.

Rick
Thanks Rick. I went back to the 2015 thread and copied the Owens statement article you wrote which led to my adding to the thread. I'll email you through the forum to discuss specifics.
Dennis
05-26-2018, 07:51 PM
I’ll look forward to hearing from you.
05-26-2018, 08:47 PM
The details of John Lloyd's statement to Col. Wells is escaping me, but it does make sense that, in his fear, he tried to deflect some of the federal attention to Austin Adams and the area around Allen's Fresh and Newport. Lloyd was very familiar with that area because it was his home territory as a child. The old Lloyd home (Milton Hill??), still stands in an area near Allen's Fresh known as Banks O'Dee.

I believe that Lloyd was arrested on his way back to Surrattsville on April 18 after having been down in his old Charles County haunts. I would not be surprised if he didn't pick up a lot of gossip (at least) while down there.
05-26-2018, 08:56 PM
(05-26-2018 07:51 PM)Rick Smith Wrote:  I’ll look forward to hearing from you.
I sent an email using the forum and included my private email address. You should have it.
05-27-2018, 05:07 AM
Based on an endnote in Tony Pitch's book, it sounds like Lloyd's statement to Wells might be in the Joseph Holt Papers.
05-27-2018, 07:00 AM (This post was last modified: 05-27-2018 07:40 AM by Rick Smith.)
(05-26-2018 08:56 PM)Dennis Urban Wrote:  
I sent an email using the forum and included my private email address. You should have it.

Sorry, but for some reason, I haven't received your email. Would you send it again?

Thanks

Dennis,

You may know this, but James Owens was arrested along with Austin and Adele Adams and eventually taken to the Old Capital. He was interrogated and apparently did not respond in the way that the federals were hoping he would. He died in the prison.

Rick
05-27-2018, 01:26 PM
(05-27-2018 07:00 AM)Rick Smith Wrote:  
(05-26-2018 08:56 PM)Dennis Urban Wrote:  

Sorry, but for some reason, I haven't received your email. Would you send it again?

Thanks

Dennis,

You may know this, but James Owens was arrested along with Austin and Adele Adams and eventually taken to the Old Capital. He was interrogated and apparently did not respond in the way that the federals were hoping he would. He died in the prison.

Rick

Rick - Do we have proof that Owens died in prison? I know the likelihood that he did is pretty good, but is there evidence? Are there death records for prisoners at the Old Capitol? Have the Charles County, PG County, or DC Census Records for 1870 been checked?

Just out of curiosity, I wonder how many black men/women were imprisoned at Old Capitol during the war...