How do you post larger images?
11-09-2017, 05:01 PM
How do you post larger images?
How does one load larger images? All I seem to be able to do is add attachments (that cannot be bigger than 500k) which forum members can view by clicking on. If I want to post, say a larger newspaper article that anybody can read without being a forum, I have to email a copy of the image to Roger and he posts the image.

But I've seen people post images/photographs that are larger and readable. How is that done?

For example, in the thread linked below why is my image of Fido smaller than Darrell's images of Fido:

http://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussio...age-7.html
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-09-2017, 05:18 PM
RE: How do you post larger images?
Steve, it's because Darrell linked to the image on my web page here:

http://rogerjnorton.com/Lincoln17.html

In other words when he posted the Fido photo he used the same photo URL as the one I have on my server. If someone posts a link to a photo that is already on the Internet it will usually be a different size than the ones people upload through the forum software. The forum software allows photos up to 500 KB - larger ones can always be sent to me for posting. I upload them directly to my server and bypass the forum software. (I did not write the forum software.)
11-09-2017, 07:26 PM (This post was last modified: 11-09-2017 07:28 PM by Steve.)
Thanks for letting me know, Roger. Since a lot of what I post is newspaper article images, I'll continue to email larger images of articles to you to post.

Is there some way where one can find out the specific url for an image while on the webpage? I only seem to be able to do that with images on Wikimedia Commons or if I search for an image using Google Images and then click the view image button.

For any future readers reading this, in the thread I posted above I removed the attachment of the photo of Fido and replaced it with an image link.
11-09-2017, 07:38 PM
(11-09-2017 07:26 PM)Steve Wrote:  Is there some way where one can find out the specific url for an image while on the webpage?

Yes. It varies depending on what browser you are using. For example, in Internet Explorer simply right click on the photo, choose Properties, and you should see the photo's URL. You can then copy and paste it as needed. I believe for all web browsers the process of finding a photo's URL begins with right clicking on the photo itself. (I know this is also true for Firefox, but I do not know about Chrome.)

You can also see the URL for a photo by looking through the code for the web page that the photo is on.
11-10-2017, 08:07 AM (This post was last modified: 11-10-2017 08:13 AM by Gene C.)
Like this?

http://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussio...1341510261

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
11-11-2017, 04:27 PM (This post was last modified: 11-11-2017 04:28 PM by Steve.)
(11-09-2017 07:38 PM)RJNorton Wrote:  
(11-09-2017 07:26 PM)Steve Wrote:  Is there some way where one can find out the specific url for an image while on the webpage?

Yes. It varies depending on what browser you are using. For example, in Internet Explorer simply right click on the photo, choose Properties, and you should see the photo's URL. You can then copy and paste it as needed. I believe for all web browsers the process of finding a photo's URL begins with right clicking on the photo itself. (I know this is also true for Firefox, but I do not know about Chrome.)

You can also see the URL for a photo by looking through the code for the web page that the photo is on.
Okay. If you have Microsoft Edge (the replacement for Internet Explorer), right click the image and then press copy. You can then paste a copy of the url, although you won't be able to see the url until you hit paste.
11-11-2017, 04:43 PM
Thanks, Steve. I have Windows 10 and Edge.