Lincoln and his cane?
07-08-2017, 06:05 PM
Lincoln and his cane?
Hi All........what a fabulous and informative site for Lincoln enthusiasts! I am a lifelong fan of Abraham Lincoln and am curious as to why he was never photographed with a cane even though he owned many that were given to him by friends and dignitaries. Does anyone know if Abe ever actually used a cane for its intended purpose, or were these canes simply ceremonial gifts? I have read many biographies that touch on the subject but never really resolve it. I would be grateful for any definitive information on the subject.
Thank you.
Donna
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-08-2017, 06:27 PM
RE: Lincoln and his cane?
Hi Donna and welcome to the forum. Offhand, I think I have read that Lincoln brought a cane to Ford's Theatre. If anyone knows definitely please post! Donna, IMO, there was no physical reason that Lincoln needed to use a cane. Thus, although he had them, I do not think he ever really needed one.

During the autopsy at least one doctor was amazed at Lincoln's condition. Dr. Edward Curtis wrote, "I was simply astonished at the showing of the nude remains, where well-rounded muscles built upon strong bones told the powerful athlete. Now did I understand the deeds of prowess recorded of the President's early days."
07-08-2017, 06:59 PM
I have seen some references to Lincoln having a cane at Ford's, but nothing definitive that I know of. I have also wondered if some of what has been referred to as "canes" were actually "walking sticks," which were fashion statements of the day, but had no real, physical necessity attached to them.
07-08-2017, 07:00 PM
Mary Lincoln insisted that he carry one for self protection.
07-09-2017, 06:48 AM (This post was last modified: 07-09-2017 07:03 AM by Eva Elisabeth.)
Welcome to the forum, Donna!
I think all are correct (no physical need but fashion of the days - see JWB - plus safety), and I seem to recall he was given at least one or two as a gift. His alleged favorite cane Mary later gave to Frederick Douglass.
(07-08-2017 06:59 PM)L Verge Wrote:  I have seen some references to Lincoln having a cane at Ford's, but nothing definitive that I know of. I have also wondered if some of what has been referred to as "canes" were actually "walking sticks," which were fashion statements of the day, but had no real, physical necessity attached to them.
Laurie - I've always thought a walking stick and a cane were the same, whether for need or fashion?

Maybe another reason is he was too tall for an average cane (even for fashion)?
07-09-2017, 06:53 AM
(07-09-2017 06:48 AM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  I seem to recall he was given at least one or two as a gift. His alleged favorite cane Mary later gave to Frederick Douglass.

Yes! There is a photo here:

https://www.nps.gov/museum/exhibits/doug...ncoln.html
07-09-2017, 11:51 AM (This post was last modified: 07-09-2017 12:05 PM by L Verge.)
(07-09-2017 06:48 AM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  Welcome to the forum, Donna!
I think all are correct (no physical need but fashion of the days - see JWB - plus safety), and I seem to recall he was given at least one or two as a gift. His alleged favorite cane Mary later gave to Frederick Douglass.
(07-08-2017 06:59 PM)L Verge Wrote:  I have seen some references to Lincoln having a cane at Ford's, but nothing definitive that I know of. I have also wondered if some of what has been referred to as "canes" were actually "walking sticks," which were fashion statements of the day, but had no real, physical necessity attached to them.
Laurie - I've always thought a walking stick and a cane were the same, whether for need or fashion?

I may be wrong, but I thought that walking sticks had knobs or blunt handles, not bent ones?

(07-09-2017 11:51 AM)L Verge Wrote:  
(07-09-2017 06:48 AM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  Welcome to the forum, Donna!

I may be wrong, but I thought that walking sticks had knobs or blunt handles, not bent ones?

You don''t see walking sticks much anymore, but there are a number of online sites that discuss the history of and difference between them and canes. Here's just one:

http://justwalkers.com/mobility-blog/wal...WJRnYTyvZY

Here's a video from Lincoln Memorial University's holdings that supposedly shows the walking stick (not cane) that was carried by Lincoln into Ford's Theatre the night of his assassination:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ww_kE0Q1xOo
07-09-2017, 01:54 PM
I'm pretty sure Lincoln had one at Fords. I think he owned more than one.

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-09-2017, 02:12 PM
I think a cane (or walking stick--contemporaries seem to have used the terms interchangeably) was considered part of a man's formal dress.

At his first inauguration, Lincoln carried a gold-headed cane (possibly the one pictured in the second link), which he used to keep the manuscript of his inaugural address in place.

http://www.abrahamlincolnonline.org/linc...gural1.htm

https://www.lincolncollection.org/collec...tion-cane/
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-09-2017, 02:43 PM
I wonder if he had possessed any before presidency (or election) and if Mary possibly thought he ought to carry one.
07-10-2017, 08:04 AM
(07-09-2017 02:43 PM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  I wonder if he had possessed any before presidency (or election) and if Mary possibly thought he ought to carry one.

see post #4
07-10-2017, 10:08 AM
Twenty Days has a photo of the cane he carried to Ford's.

"There are few subjects that ignite more casual, uninformed bigotry and condescension from elites in this nation more than Dixie - Jonah Goldberg"
07-10-2017, 03:28 PM
Does it match the cane shown in the video from Lincoln Memorial University that I posted this past weekend? See bottom of Post #8.
07-10-2017, 03:39 PM
Laurie, I think so. The cane which Joe noted is on p. 101.

[Image: lincolncane.jpg]
07-11-2017, 03:35 PM
I ran across this photo that claims this photograph of a Daguerreotype depicts the actual gold-headed cane that Lincoln carried to his first inauguration. Any opinion as to veracity of that assertion?