Who are the persons present at Garrett's Farm when Booth was killed?
02-21-2017, 04:32 PM (This post was last modified: 02-21-2017 04:45 PM by loetar44.)
Who are the persons present at Garrett's Farm when Booth was killed?
I wonder, which persons were exactly present at Garrett’s Farm when Booth was killed? The Garrett family consisted of Garrett himself, his (second) wife and the Garrett-children. Sources say that Garrett had 12 children, one of them (Julia Frances) passed away in 1851, so 11 left. Several sources mention 10 children present. Were they all present? We know that Garrett’s 2 eldest sons (Jack, 25 and Willie, 20) directed the soldiers to the barn. We know that the 4 youngest children (below the age of 10: Lillie, 8, Robert, 7, Nettie, 6 and Cora Lee, 3) were entertained by Booth (he showed the children his compass, told jokes and stories). Young Richard (11 at the time) told how he saw hanging from a bedpost Booth’s belt, containing two revolvers and a dagger. But, how do we know for sure that the 4 oldest daughters, Mary Elizabeth (28), Cecilia (27), Kate (23), and Annie (18), were there too? We know for sure that Miss Lucinda Holloway, Mrs. Garrett’s sister, was there too, because she was holding the head of the dying Booth on the porch. And, did Ned Freeman, a free black man at a neighboring farm, who hauled the body to Port Royal, arrive later? Were there farm hands present? Were there other guests (think of Newbill, who had a meal with Booth and the Garrett family the day after Booth arrived at the farm).
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-23-2017, 09:38 AM
RE: Who are the persons present at Garrett's Farm when Booth was killed?
Don't forget Dr. Charles Uruqhart.
02-23-2017, 06:30 PM
I think I gave the Research Center the "Official" report that Garrett gave to the Government of that day. It included a description of each person (as if he didn't know their name) such as The "Red Headed boy". There might be one or two that he added that we aren't familiar with. He also added a bill for the furniture and equipment that was burned up in the barn. (I don't know if he got paid. )
The best I can remember - it was different.....
(If I still have it - it is in storage and not easily retrieved)
07-08-2018, 08:23 PM
No he was NOT paid. Claim was denied by government. It included, I assume, the cherished heirlooms that local families gave Richard Garrett for safekeeping from the troops to store in that very barn. I dont know if the locals who used his storehouse were upset with him afterwards for giving Booth shelter, which, in turn, cause the loss of family heirlooms.