Mosby Letter
11-12-2016, 02:12 PM
Mosby Letter
During my visit to the American Civil War Museum of the Confederacy, one artifact on display really caught my attention: A letter written by John Mosby in 1904. Although I have always understood that the Gray Ghost served during the war in defense of the Confederacy, I learned from Mosby's original letter ( which was on display ) that he also believed that the South went to war because of slavery. Slavery, he explained in his letter, was "the thing we quarreled with the north about" and that he had "never heard of any other cause of quarrel than slavery"

I thought this was quite interesting and wanted to share. Attached is a picture I took of the kiosk explaining the letter.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-12-2016, 03:53 PM
RE: Mosby Letter
Nathan B. Forrest supposedly said the same thing in a conversation with a woman at a Memphis party. I assume the story is in a bio.
11-14-2016, 09:43 AM
Mosby was always outspoken and charted his own course. He was an early convert to the Republican party and post-war, unpopular among many, even in his home town of Culpepper. He was twice shot at in his home town and moved (at some point) to Washington DC. He lived at 1212 12th St. NW. His home still stands among tall apartment buildings.
11-14-2016, 02:08 PM (This post was last modified: 11-14-2016 02:09 PM by Thomas Kearney.)
Thanks for sharing. I've never been to the Confederate Museum but I've driven by it. Is it interesting?

Thomas Kearney, Professional Photobomber.
11-14-2016, 08:14 PM
(11-14-2016 02:08 PM)Thomas Kearney Wrote:  Thanks for sharing. I've never been to the Confederate Museum but I've driven by it. Is it interesting?

Thomas, it is extremely interesting and definitely worth a visit! Of course, I know that you got to sit on the original sofa used on the set of "Friends" during your visit to California. So this might pale in comparison Wink
11-15-2016, 01:30 PM
(11-14-2016 08:14 PM)PaigeBooth Wrote:  
(11-14-2016 02:08 PM)Thomas Kearney Wrote:  Thanks for sharing. I've never been to the Confederate Museum but I've driven by it. Is it interesting?

Thomas, it is extremely interesting and definitely worth a visit! Of course, I know that you got to sit on the original sofa used on the set of "Friends" during your visit to California. So this might pale in comparison Wink

I never watched "Friends" so it was no big deal to sit on the sofa. But I know it will be a big deal if I meet Bulls broadcasters Neil Funk and Stacey King when the Bulls come to DC this Winter.

Thomas Kearney, Professional Photobomber.