Timeless - a new television series
09-15-2016, 11:48 AM
Timeless - a new television series
There is a new television series premiering on NBC this year called “Timeless”. I saw and advertisement for it last night. It looked interesting, so I looked it up online and found a listing for it - it looks like, as scheduled now, the second episode is about the Lincoln Assassination. I am a sucker for time travel shows (history lover!) so I will be checking this show out anyway, but I thought maybe some others may be interested if only for the Lincoln connection early in the season.

Show Description for Timeless:
“…this thrilling action-adventure series in which a mysterious criminal steals a secret state-of-the-art time machine, intent on destroying America as we know it by changing the past. Our only hope is an unexpected team: a scientist, a soldier and a history professor who use the machine's prototype to travel back in time to critical events. While they must make every effort not to affect the past themselves, they must also stay one step ahead of this dangerous fugitive. Can this handpicked team uncover the mystery behind it all and end his destruction before it's too late?”

Episode 1: “Pilot”
Scheduled air date: Monday, October 3, 2016 at 10:00 pm EST

Episode 2: “The Assassination of Abraham Lincoln”
Scheduled air date: Monday, October 10, 2016 at 10:00 pm EST

Here is a link to the website for the show:
http://www.nbc.com/timeless?nbc=1

I don’t know if anyone else remembers the tv show called “Voyagers” from the early 1980s, but the concept (although with a much lower production value I’m sure) is vaguely similar. Lincoln also appeared in an episode of the show entitled “The Day the Rebs took Lincoln”. You can watch the entire episode on youtube. I have included a link to that episode below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhyWT7QPLH4

Enjoy!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-16-2016, 05:35 AM
RE: Timeless - a new television series
Thanks for posting, Scott. There is also the radio show from 1950 titled "The Mysterious Traveler: The Man Who Tried To Save Lincoln." It was a time travel story about an attempt to change the present by stopping the assassination in the past. Old Time Radio at its best!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_J_Rj2cUedo
09-16-2016, 12:20 PM
I remember a Twilight Zone Episode featuring the Professor from Gilligan's Island going back in time to the night of Lincoln's assassination. Season 2 Episode 13 I believe.

" Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the American Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford
09-16-2016, 01:52 PM
Very cool - thank you for the heads up! That looks interesting!
I actually got the "Voyagers" episode right along with the Lincoln Star Trek episode "The Savage Curtain" where Lincoln appears...sort of.
There really should be more of him in shows like that!

In case of emergency, Lincoln and children first.
10-04-2016, 04:00 PM (This post was last modified: 10-04-2016 04:11 PM by Gene C.)
in case you missed the premier of Timeless, you didn't miss much.
Our heroes were sent back in time to make sure that the Hindenburg did crash and burn, because the bad guys wanted it to crash at a later date when it had some important people on board, in relation to World War II leaders.
Our heroes got the job done, but were a day late and a dollar short, so when they got back home things had changed a little. Our heroine was missing a sister who was never born, and horrors of horrors, her mother noticed she wasn't wearing her engagement ring. Just as she's starting to get the third degree from mom, she is saved by the phone, with a request that she urgently return to work, and she'd better be on Time. What will happen next?

The episode everyone on the forum will want to see (and probably be very disappointed in) will be next week.
Will Abraham Lincoln be assassinated?
Will John Wilkes Booth escape?
Will Mary Surratt be hung, or does she escape to Gattlinburg and open a popular bed and breakfast?
Will Stanton finally shave off that shaggy beard?
Be sure to tune in to see if history changes.

Did our heroes goof up again and change the future?
Will Laurie still have a job at the Surratt Museum when our heroes return from their quest?
Will Bill O'Reilly's popular book be titled "Killing Coggeshall?
Will this post disappear? (don't answer that)

In the mean time, what would you like to see happen? Share with us, but remember, your entries must be postmarked no later than Sunday at 12:01 AM.
I'm sure Roger can come up with a nifty prize for the winner, unless by this time next week the present has changed and become so messed up that Roger is hosting the Millard Fillmore Discussion Symposium.

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
10-04-2016, 04:14 PM
(10-04-2016 04:00 PM)Gene C Wrote:  in case you missed the premier of Timeless, you didn't miss much.
Our heroes were sent back in time to make sure that the Hindenburg did crash and burn, because the bad guys wanted it to crash at a later date when it had some important people on board, in relation to World War II leaders.
Our heroes got the job done, but were a day late and a dollar short, so when they got back home things had changed a little. Our heroine was missing a sister who was never born, and horrors of horrors, her mother noticed she wasn't wearing her engagement ring. Just as she's starting to get the third degree from mom, she is saved by the phone, with a request that she urgently return to work, and she'd better be on Time. What will happen next?

The episode everyone on the forum will want to see (and probably be very disappointed in) will be next week.
Will Abraham Lincoln be assassinated?
Will John Wilkes Booth escape?
Will Mary Surratt be hung, or does she escape to Gattlinburg and open a popular bed and breakfast?
Will Stanton finally shave off that shaggy beard?
Be sure to tune in to see if history changes.

Did our heroes goof up again and change the future?
Will Laurie still have a job when our heroes return from their quest?
Will Bill O'Reilly's popular book be titled "Killing Coggeshall?
Will this post disappear? (don't answer that)

In the mean time, what would you like to see happen? Share with us, but remember, your entries must be postmarked no later than Sunday at 12:01 AM.
I'm sure Roger can come up with a nifty prize for the winner, unless by this time next week the present has changed and become so messed up that Roger is hosting the Millard Fillmore Discussion Symposium.

....Or maybe the David Rice Atchison Discussion Symposium.

Here are some promotional photos from Timeless' The Assassination of Abraham Lincoln:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEPmVQPDAQQ
10-06-2016, 12:55 AM
Thanks for the pictures, Roger! I thought the first episode was fun and the little twist at the end about the missing sister interesting.

10-06-2016, 10:20 AM
Did not know my twin Payne would wrastle with Matt Latner!

Thomas Kearney, Professional Photobomber.
10-10-2016, 10:59 AM (This post was last modified: 10-10-2016 11:00 AM by BettyO.)
What's wrong with this picture?!

"Robinson" wrestles with Powell on Seward's FRONT PORCH?!?

Did Seward's house (the old Club House) even HAVE a front porch - much less be constructed of wood - This appears to be a "farmhouse" style of architecture which dates from the 1870-1880s - NOT the 1860s!

This is going to be interesting - very, interesting. Like John Cleese of Monty Python fame said, "....and now, for something completely different!"

Be sure to tune in tonight at 10 PM folks!

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
10-10-2016, 11:52 AM (This post was last modified: 10-10-2016 12:20 PM by Gene C.)
This is going to be a challenge not to be too critical, because this is not a history documentary, and we know part of the purpose of the show is to entertain and modify history.
To bad so many people may watch this and not know what is truth and what is fiction.

What would you like to see happen?
Due to the overwhelming response to this question, so far your stuck with this impossible scenario,
My idea...gov't finds out an attempt on Lincoln's life will be made at Ford's. Lincoln shaves off his beard as a partial disguise and a look a-like goes in his place.
Booth is expected at the theater, manages to shoot and wound the look a like, stabs Rathbone, and still makes his escape. Instead of escaping into southern MD, he goes underground in Washington hidden at a southern sympathizers home in the basement. After a couple of weeks he manages to sneak out of Washington.
the Lincoln look a like is taken to the White House in guarded condition. The real Lincoln has to decide whether to pretend to recover from the assassins attack, or leave Washington and begin life over in Oregon. Stay tuned.....meanwhile, our heroes return to the present, where Canada and the United States are one giant country and the new flag now has 53 tiny little maple leaves instead of stars. Our heroine has returned to find she is a single mother, with two adopted children of mixed nationalities, and is the leading contender for a reality show sitcom on NBC in the fall.
And our hero, is now a highly sophisticated independent military expert who's experience consists of playing video games that simulate drone aircraft under combat conditions, and yoga instructor.

Be sure to play the music while you read this...and read slow, (makes a difference doesn't it)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGSUjuSBt1A

10-10-2016, 12:07 PM (This post was last modified: 10-10-2016 12:07 PM by BettyO.)
It's hard not to be critical - especially when most folk will watch and not know the difference. If it encourages further interest, reading and study however, I'm all for it!

I think of all these "alternative histories" where things went awry, either visually or accuracy wise, my favorite was the one about two years ago (I think it was on the Travel Channel) where Lew Powell was captured by the Feds while writing a letter in what was supposed to be his room at the "Herndon House" but looked more like the interior of someone's tool shed! That one put me on the floor......

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
10-10-2016, 01:47 PM
Here's a scene from tonight's show:

http://www.etonline.com/tv/199832_timele...president/
10-10-2016, 02:20 PM (This post was last modified: 10-10-2016 02:21 PM by Gene C.)
That clip is going to make every science fiction fan and history buff want to tune in tonight. Huh

Evidently, someone at NBC reads your Forum, Roger.
I'd comment further, but I don't want to jeopardize any potential job opportunity and negotiations with NBC as a creative consultant.
Cool

10-10-2016, 04:08 PM
Gene, I'm not at NBC yet, but hopefully in a few years I will be the race caller there. I will be answering questions about the assassination on Twitter tonight from 10-11. Send me your questions and pass this around to your friends.

Thomas Kearney, Professional Photobomber.
10-11-2016, 01:02 AM
(10-10-2016 11:52 AM)Gene C Wrote:  This is going to be a challenge not to be too critical, because this is not a history documentary, and we know part of the purpose of the show is to entertain and modify history.
To bad so many people may watch this and not know what is truth and what is fiction.

What would you like to see happen?
Due to the overwhelming response to this question, so far your stuck with this impossible scenario,
My idea...gov't finds out an attempt on Lincoln's life will be made at Ford's. Lincoln shaves off his beard as a partial disguise and a look a-like goes in his place.
Booth is expected at the theater, manages to shoot and wound the look a like, stabs Rathbone, and still makes his escape. Instead of escaping into southern MD, he goes underground in Washington hidden at a southern sympathizers home in the basement. After a couple of weeks he manages to sneak out of Washington.
the Lincoln look a like is taken to the White House in guarded condition. The real Lincoln has to decide whether to pretend to recover from the assassins attack, or leave Washington and begin life over in Oregon. Stay tuned.....meanwhile, our heroes return to the present, where Canada and the United States are one giant country and the new flag now has 53 tiny little maple leaves instead of stars. Our heroine has returned to find she is a single mother, with two adopted children of mixed nationalities, and is the leading contender for a reality show sitcom on NBC in the fall.
And our hero, is now a highly sophisticated independent military expert who's experience consists of playing video games that simulate drone aircraft under combat conditions, and yoga instructor.

Be sure to play the music while you read this...and read slow, (makes a difference doesn't it)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGSUjuSBt1A

This...is absolutely perfect! I laughed way too hard when I read it with the music! Thank you!
I have yet to watch the episode because of the time difference...so I'll stop reading this thread until later in the day.