German Lincoln biography published in 1866
06-04-2016, 05:18 AM
German Lincoln biography published in 1866
Many thanks to Angela for sending this information. A friend of hers found this first edition Lincoln biography. He found it in a box at an antique store for a very low price. It was published in Germany in 1866. Angela writes, "It features beautiful etchings and engravings and even a HUGE map of the US during the Civil War. It is titled “Abraham Lincoln – Wiederhersteller der Nordamerikanischen Union” (“Abraham Lincoln – Restorator of the North-American Union”) and written by Dr. Max Lange. It is slightly faded around the edges, but the gorgeous purple binding is still quite intact and ready for reading."

Angela continues, "Apparently there is a whole series of books about famous people from this publishing house under the title of “The honor temple of the 19th century” and the Lincoln volume is number 6. The author, married to the daughter of the publishing house owner, was apparently a well known chess player in Germany...I had never heard of the book OR the author before."

[Image: book300.jpg]

[Image: book301.jpg]

[Image: book302.jpg]

[Image: book303.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-04-2016, 01:18 PM
RE: German Lincoln biography published in 1866
Thank you so much for posting this, Roger!
Once I started reading, I could not stop - it is quite fascinating to learn how another country viewed him as a person and politician!

In case of emergency, Lincoln and children first.
06-04-2016, 03:05 PM
I have found that the text of this book is available on the internet, if anybody happened to be interested in it.
06-05-2016, 12:35 AM (This post was last modified: 06-05-2016 12:35 AM by Eva Elisabeth.)
Very cool, Angela, love the map, too - thanks for posting!

Why does the cover read "Abraham Lincoln und der amerikanische Krieg 1861-1865" (A.L. and the American War 1861-65) if the title is "Abraham Lincoln – Wiederhersteller der Nordamerikanischen Union”?

Roger, thanks for the tip to look for it online - found it, too:
http://reader.digitale-sammlungen.de/de/...00031.html
It has 70 illustrations!

PS: Angela - the apostrophe 's(es?Plural!) with the names made me rub my eyes in disbelief - I've always thought this a recent "disease".

06-05-2016, 01:19 AM (This post was last modified: 06-05-2016 02:04 AM by Angela.)
(06-05-2016 12:35 AM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  Very cool, Angela, love the map, too - thanks for posting!

Why does the cover read "Abraham Lincoln und der amerikanische Krieg 1861-1865" (A.L. and the American War 1861-65) if the title is "Abraham Lincoln – Wiederhersteller der Nordamerikanischen Union”?

Roger, thanks for the tip to look for it online - found it, too:
http://reader.digitale-sammlungen.de/de/...00031.html
It has 70 illustrations!

PS: Angela - the apostrophe 's(es?Plural!) with the names made me rub my eyes in disbelief - I've always thought this a recent "disease".

Not sure about the different title, second binding is my guess.
The illustrations are beautiful and detailed and so is the map.

In case of emergency, Lincoln and children first.