"All the Way" on HBO- LBJ's First Year in Office
05-21-2016, 03:27 PM
"All the Way" on HBO- LBJ's First Year in Office
"All The Way offers a riveting behind-the scenes look at President Lyndon B. Johnson’s tumultuous first year in office after the assassination of John F. Kennedy. Staking his presidency on what would be an historic unprecedented Civil Rights Act, Johnson finds himself caught between the moral imperative of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. and the expectations of the southern Democratic Party leaders who brought Johnson to power. As King battles to press Johnson while controlling more radical elements of the Civil Rights Movement, Johnson navigates the bill through Congress, winning a landslide victory against Barry Goldwater, but causing the South to defect from the Democratic Party."

https://www.allthewayhbo.com/
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-22-2016, 04:51 PM
RE: "All the Way" on HBO- LBJ's First Year in Office
(05-21-2016 03:27 PM)Linda Anderson Wrote:  "All The Way offers a riveting behind-the scenes look at President Lyndon B. Johnson’s tumultuous first year in office after the assassination of John F. Kennedy. Staking his presidency on what would be an historic unprecedented Civil Rights Act, Johnson finds himself caught between the moral imperative of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. and the expectations of the southern Democratic Party leaders who brought Johnson to power. As King battles to press Johnson while controlling more radical elements of the Civil Rights Movement, Johnson navigates the bill through Congress, winning a landslide victory against Barry Goldwater, but causing the South to defect from the Democratic Party."

https://www.allthewayhbo.com/

I didn't get to see this because I don't get HBO but I am waiting for Netflix. I want to see this because the reviews were great and it is such an important time in our history and so relevant to today. When you see what is going on now, it is so important that people remember. Today, more than ever before.

I would love to know what everybody thought here that watched it.
05-23-2016, 11:18 AM
I found "All the Way" fascinating. I was young when LBJ was in office and I remember him mostly for sending troops into Vietnam and not so much, (if at all, unfortunately) for the Civil Rights Act and the Great Society programs such as Medicare and Medicaid. I also remember him for picking up his dog by his ears!

Bryan Cranston was superb as LBJ. Sometimes I thought I was watching the real LBJ. I also liked Melissa Leo as the long suffering Lady Bird Johnson. Frank Langella was great as Georgia Senator Richard Russell. The last scene between them was riveting. As my husband pointed out, the relationship between them would never be the same.

http://deadline.com/2016/05/frank-langel...201758933/

"There’s a visual in HBO’s All The Way when the powerful Georgia Sen. Richard Russell registers the fact that his protégé Lyndon Johnson has sacrificed him, and Dixie, on the pyre of the Civil Rights movement. The camera moves from Johnson’s bespectacled, crinkle-eyed smirk to Russell’s once-implacable mask as it flickers, ever so slightly but unmistakably, with disappointment and resignation. It is a master class in subtlety as Frank Langella’s Russell and Bryan Cranston’s LBJ, formidable gladiators in the crude Colosseum of 1960s American politics, measure the triumph of the student who has vanquished his teacher."
05-23-2016, 02:40 PM
(05-23-2016 11:18 AM)Linda Anderson Wrote:  I found "All the Way" fascinating. I was young when LBJ was in office and I remember him mostly for sending troops into Vietnam and not so much, (if at all, unfortunately) for the Civil Rights Act and the Great Society programs such as Medicare and Medicaid. I also remember him for picking up his dog by his ears!

Bryan Cranston was superb as LBJ. Sometimes I thought I was watching the real LBJ. I also liked Melissa Leo as the long suffering Lady Bird Johnson. Frank Langella was great as Georgia Senator Richard Russell. The last scene between them was riveting. As my husband pointed out, the relationship between them would never be the same.

http://deadline.com/2016/05/frank-langel...201758933/

"There’s a visual in HBO’s All The Way when the powerful Georgia Sen. Richard Russell registers the fact that his protégé Lyndon Johnson has sacrificed him, and Dixie, on the pyre of the Civil Rights movement. The camera moves from Johnson’s bespectacled, crinkle-eyed smirk to Russell’s once-implacable mask as it flickers, ever so slightly but unmistakably, with disappointment and resignation. It is a master class in subtlety as Frank Langella’s Russell and Bryan Cranston’s LBJ, formidable gladiators in the crude Colosseum of 1960s American politics, measure the triumph of the student who has vanquished his teacher."

I just can't wait to see it. I am waiting for it to be on Netflix. I hope that it is soon. I remember when this happened.