Mr. William Schallert was the voice of Abraham Lincoln at the ALPLM
05-09-2016, 07:33 PM
Mr. William Schallert was the voice of Abraham Lincoln at the ALPLM
William Schallert, a familiar presence on prime-time television for decades, died on Sunday in Pacific Palisades, Calif. He was 93.

Mr. Schallert’s career spanned generations and genres. Over more than 60 years he racked up scores of credits in episodic television as well as noteworthy performances in motion pictures, on the Off Broadway stage and as a voice-over artist.

In 1952, Mr. Schallert traveled to Britain on a Fulbright Fellowship to study British repertory theater. He was a guest lecturer at Oxford before returning to Los Angeles.

Before joining the ranks of harried sitcom fathers as Martin Lane on “The Patty Duke Show” (1963-66), he was the equally harried teacher Leander Pomfritt, bane of the title character, on “The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis” (1959-62). He also earned a permanent place in the hearts of “Star Trek” fans in 1967 when he played Nilz Baris, under secretary in charge of agricultural affairs for the United Federation of Planets, in “The Trouble With Tribbles,” often cited by fans and critics as one of the best episodes of the original “Star Trek” series. [I remember that as the under secretary in charge agricultural affairs, he made the mistake of telling Kirk and Spock that he did not expect them to know what quadrotritakale (spelled phonetically) was; Spock “schooled” the presumptuous under secretary with his knowledge on this topic which began with "4-lobed hybrid" as I recall.]

Behind the scenes, Mr. William Schallert was the voice of Abraham Lincoln at the Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library and Museum in Springfield, Ill.

(Source: International New York Times – May 9, 2016)

"So very difficult a matter is it to trace and find out the truth of anything by history." -- Plutarch
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-10-2016, 05:08 AM
RE: Mr. William Schallert was the voice of Abraham Lincoln at the ALPLM
Thank you for posting this, David. I was sad to read of his passing.

[Image: William-Schallert.-5972.jpg]
05-10-2016, 07:02 AM
I've always loved this actor. The banter that went on between him and Captain Kirk on that episode was priceless. Didn't know he was the voice of AL.

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-10-2016, 01:40 PM
That is so sad to hear! Does anybody know what exact kind of voice work he did at the ALPLM? Was he voicing the "Ghosts of the Library" presentation as well?

In case of emergency, Lincoln and children first.
05-10-2016, 02:56 PM
(05-10-2016 05:08 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  Thank you for posting this, David. I was sad to read of his passing.

Hi Roger,

I was somewhat surprised to see that the announcement of his death made the national evening news on CBS after i had posted the comment. And, thanks for amending the title of my post subject.

David

"So very difficult a matter is it to trace and find out the truth of anything by history." -- Plutarch
05-10-2016, 03:14 PM
(05-10-2016 02:56 PM)David Lockmiller Wrote:  Hi Roger,

I was somewhat surprised to see that the announcement of his death made the national evening news on CBS after i had posted the comment. And, thanks for amending the title of my post subject.

David

Hi David. The authors of the MbBB forum software programmed in a set limit...I think 85 characters/spaces...for thread titles. If the title exceeds their limit problems can arise. This has happened before so I knew I needed to shorten the title. Thanks again for posting the sad news.
05-10-2016, 05:49 PM
(05-10-2016 02:56 PM)David Lockmiller Wrote:  
(05-10-2016 05:08 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  Thank you for posting this, David. I was sad to read of his passing.

Hi Roger,

David

I did not recognize the name, but I sure recognize the face. Thanks for posting.
05-10-2016, 06:02 PM
Not to mention he starred with Elvis in Speedway

Bill Nash
05-11-2016, 05:08 AM
(05-10-2016 06:02 PM)LincolnMan Wrote:  Not to mention he starred with Elvis in Speedway

Bill, here's a brief clip.
05-11-2016, 06:54 AM
Wonderful! I saw that movie at the show when it came out in 1968. Good fun.

Bill Nash