"Guarding the Lincoln Conspirators" article
08-31-2012, 03:36 PM
"Guarding the Lincoln Conspirators" article
Ed Isaacs sent me this article that he wrote for the History Channel Magazine about the Civil War diary of his great-great grandfather, Sergeant George E. Dixon.

http://rogerjnorton.com/magazine.pdf

Ed writes how he was doing research on George Dixon when he found that George's regiment "was in charge of the Lincoln conspirators during their trial and execution." Through a genealogy website, Ed contacted a distant cousin who had George's Civil War diary which she then sent to Ed. Upon reading the diary, Ed found that, "On page 27, George listed the names of the Lincoln conspirators to be hanged on July 7, 1865, along with the names of the guards, executioners, and prisoner cell numbers.

"This is the first known documentation found to list the names of the guards and their duties guarding the prisoners."

Congratulations, Ed, on your article and on tracking down such a valuable part of history!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-31-2012, 03:50 PM
RE: "Guarding the Lincoln Conspirators" article
Thank you for posting this, Linda. Great picture, too!
08-31-2012, 08:13 PM
Thanks, Linda! Great Photo -

And thanks to Ed Issacs for this wonderful exhibit and article! I've been assisting Ed in an attempt to see if any of the soldiers who are identifiable as sergeants (we've been blowing up the hanging photos and checking the soldiers on the wall and on the ground for chevrons!) could possibly be Sergeant Dixon. So far - I think the tally is about 3-4 sergeants on the wall and about 2 identifiable on the ground.

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
08-31-2012, 09:05 PM
That is truly amazing. Great job!

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-01-2012, 05:05 AM (This post was last modified: 09-01-2012 05:07 AM by RJNorton.)
Ed is now a member here! Welcome, Ed! Barry Cauchon did a terrific interview with Ed on his wonderful blog. CLICK HERE.
09-01-2012, 10:00 AM
Ed,Tremendous job of research!
09-01-2012, 11:25 AM
I'd like to thank everyone for their kind words. This story from it's beginning would not have been possible without my cousin that I never met, Pamila Dixon Tift, who has since passed away; Barry Cauchon who put my story out there and helped to put George E. Dixon on a road to stardom. And this latest article, "Guarding the Lincoln Conspirators" would never have been possible or acccepted by The History Channel Magazine if not for the "heavy editing" by History Professor, Steven Berizzi at Norwalk Community College.
09-01-2012, 11:37 AM
Thank YOU, Ed for bring the wonderful story of your great-grandfather to light! It's always gratifying to "get to know" those whose stories are so relevant. I know you are very proud of your great-grandfather -- and so are we! Thanks for sharing - and WELCOME to our forum!

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
09-01-2012, 12:58 PM
As I said in a private e-mail to you, Ed, it has been wonderful watching the story of your great-grandfather unfold and spread throughout our world of history. These are the little gems that make our day!