The Lincoln Traveler
03-26-2016, 09:06 PM
The Lincoln Traveler
Last week, I was fortunate enough to meet Eric Ebinger at the Abraham Lincoln Institute's annual meeting at Ford's Theater. He has a YouTube channel where he visits sights related to Lincoln and calls himself "The Lincoln Traveler". He has some videos up on his channel with more to come. Please check it out!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9p5fP4...ttPhAszidQ

Thomas Kearney, Professional Photobomber.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-27-2016, 06:09 AM
RE: The Lincoln Traveler
I watched the video of him in Louisville. Very worthwhile watching!

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-27-2016, 07:00 AM
I second Bill!
03-27-2016, 06:15 PM
All this traveling reminds me (I can't speak for Gene) of a song!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryBorTnEfv0

03-27-2016, 07:12 PM
The great Ricky Nelson-like so many- gone too soon.

Bill Nash
03-27-2016, 07:39 PM
Good selection Thomas!
Smile

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
06-01-2016, 05:26 PM
Last week, I took Eric Ebinger on a tour of my home away from home, Ford's Theater, and made an exciting announcement about my involvement in the history field. It was documented in the new Lincoln Traveler episode. Please check it out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGFroIZGDj8

06-01-2016, 09:54 PM
Nice job Thomas. Smile

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
06-02-2016, 01:52 AM
Great video Thomas!
06-02-2016, 05:05 AM
Wonderful, Thomas. I thought you did a great job! One question - I have seen Joseph Burroughs described in many books...usually it is said he was a boy or a teenager with no specific age given. I have never read an exact age. In the video you said he was 17. I am curious - do you possibly recall where you found that he was 17? Many thanks.
(Love the shirt, also.)
06-02-2016, 06:54 AM
That's great, Thomas!
06-02-2016, 11:24 AM (This post was last modified: 06-02-2016 11:28 AM by Thomas Kearney.)
(06-02-2016 05:05 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  Wonderful, Thomas. I thought you did a great job! One question - I have seen Joseph Burroughs described in many books...usually it is said he was a boy or a teenager with no specific age given. I have never read an exact age. In the video you said he was 17. I am curious - do you possibly recall where you found that he was 17? Many thanks.
(Love the shirt, also.)

"Backstage At The Lincoln Assassination" by Tom Bogar

(06-01-2016 09:54 PM)Gene C Wrote:  Nice job Thomas. Smile

Thanks Gene!

(06-02-2016 06:54 AM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  That's great, Thomas!

Glad you liked it!

(06-02-2016 01:52 AM)Carolyn Mitchell Wrote:  Great video Thomas!

Thanks Carolyn!

06-03-2016, 03:10 PM (This post was last modified: 06-03-2016 03:46 PM by Eva Elisabeth.)
Thomas, in the video you make some claims that were new to me and I am curious as for from what sources exactly they come from - I'd love to read these.

1. E.g. that Booth barred the presidential box’s hallway door with a piece from a piano bench - all I've remember reading so far is that it was from a wooden music stand. Where does the piano bench "origin"?

2. As for  Baptist Alley, you claim (there's a pamphlet) that Booth had to dismount and unlatch a gate at the F Street opening to the Alley in order to enter, and that, when escaping this, he supposedly by-passed the gate by turning right, exiting onto 9th Street.

I've never read this either (but admittedly am no expert). Is there any written source as for the gate? I'd like to read and learn more. (Where did you get the information from otherwise?) It seems amazing that it's not more "commonly" told. Didn't he turn left at all?

Thanks for any further information and enlightenment on this!!
06-03-2016, 05:13 PM (This post was last modified: 06-03-2016 05:15 PM by Thomas Kearney.)
(06-03-2016 03:10 PM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  Thomas, in the video you make some claims that were new to me and I am curious as for from what sources exactly they come from - I'd love to read these.

1. E.g. that Booth barred the presidential box’s hallway door with a piece from a piano bench - all I've remember reading so far is that it was from a wooden music stand. Where does the piano bench "origin"?

2. As for  Baptist Alley, you claim (there's a pamphlet) that Booth had to dismount and unlatch a gate at the F Street opening to the Alley in order to enter, and that, when escaping this, he supposedly by-passed the gate by turning right, exiting onto 9th Street.

I've never read this either (but admittedly am no expert). Is there any written source as for the gate? I'd like to read and learn more. (Where did you get the information from otherwise?) It seems amazing that it's not more "commonly" told. Didn't he turn left at all?

Thanks for any further information and enlightenment on this!!
Eva,

The alley part is in the author's note at the beginning of Jim Bishop's classic "The Day Lincoln Was Shot" so I was able to draw from the description of how the alley looked in 1865. Booth likely made a right turn onto 9th Street. As for the piano bench, that is a mystery. I'll have to look into it.

06-03-2016, 06:46 PM
Here is part of John T. Ford's testimony at John Surratt's trial in 1867:

Mr. Bradley:

Q. Look at the stick, [the bar used on the night of the assassination to close the door, heretofore placed in evidence,] and state whether you have seen it; and if so, explain what you know about it.

A. I remember seeing this on the assassination trials, or the military trial.

Q. That is the stick exhibited there as the stick found in that place fastening the door.

A. Yes, sir.

Q. Now state whether there were any such sticks used in that box.

A. After my attention was called to this stick, I recognized its prior use at once before it was used for fastening the door. It is an upright of a music stand. If I may be permitted to state, on the 22d of February, the Treasury regiment — the regiment belonging to the Treasury Department, had a ball at the theater; and near that box in the dress circle the band was stationed for cotillion music. We found late in the afternoon that some music stands were needed, and some were hastily made. I believe this to be a part of one of those music stands.

Q. Can you tell of what material that is?

A. It is pine.

Q. What kind of pine?

A. I believe, white pine.

Q. You are certain it is not oak or North Carolina pine?

A. I am not much of a judge of wood, but I would venture an opinion upon that.

Q. You see that a portion of this has been sawed off. Explain how it was used?

A. A block eight or ten inches square was fastened at one end for the base, and on the bevel part of it, another board was fastened to hold the music.