Fun Stuff You Find Out at 1 a.m.
03-06-2016, 02:29 AM
Fun Stuff You Find Out at 1 a.m.
While poking through some old newspapers to see if there were any mentions of Anna Surratt in her schooldays (there are), I found out that in 1855, Anna Surratt and Nora Fitzpatrick were schoolmates at Bryantown (albeit all in different classes)! Nora's older sister, Anna Fitzpatrick, was also a student there and graduated that year. The two Annas, both of whom were musically inclined, won a number of prizes; Nora managed only a "certificate of improvement" in reading, writing, composition, and orthography.

Bettie Tyler, who I suspect is the Elizabeth Tyler who later married John Brophy, was also at the school that year.

Another Fun Fact: The 1858 awards ceremony featured Anna Surratt singing and playing "The Star-Spangled Banner."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-06-2016, 02:28 PM
RE: Fun Stuff You Find Out at 1 a.m.
I really love the fun fact!

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-06-2016, 05:50 PM
It is always great fun to find the "human interest" stories about our assassination subjects - I feel it really brings the 19th Century to life!

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
Find all posts by this user
03-06-2016, 07:46 PM
(03-06-2016 02:29 AM)Susan Higginbotham Wrote:  While poking through some old newspapers to see if there were any mentions of Anna Surratt in her schooldays (there are), I found out that in 1855, Anna Surratt and Nora Fitzpatrick were schoolmates at Bryantown (albeit all in different classes)! Nora's older sister, Anna Fitzpatrick, was also a student there and graduated that year. The two Annas, both of whom were musically inclined, won a number of prizes; Nora managed only a "certificate of improvement" in reading, writing, composition, and orthography.

Bettie Tyler, who I suspect is the Elizabeth Tyler who later married John Brophy, was also at the school that year.

Another Fun Fact: The 1858 awards ceremony featured Anna Surratt singing and playing "The Star-Spangled Banner."

I knew the two Fitzpatrick girls were educated at Miss Winifred Martin's school in Bryantown. Didn't know about the possibility of Brophy's wife being a student there also. I want to know more about Brophy and his "allegiance" to Mrs Surratt - was it out of friendship or duty to the Catholic Church?

As for Anna Surratt singing The Star-Spangled Banner, please remember that many Marylanders (including the slave holders) did not want to leave the Union, and many voted for the Constitutional Union Party and John Bell in the 1860 election. John Wilkes Booth could very well have been one of those since he loved the country our forefathers had created. He and lots of others just wanted the abolitionists to go away...

BTW: Those going on the Friday Surratt Conference Tour into Charles County will have a chance to view the twin spires of the side-by-side graves of Miss Martin and her sister in St. Mary's Catholic Church's graveyard in Bryantown. They are about fifty feet from Dr. Mudd.
Find all posts by this user