Original Dr. Samuel Mudd Headstone
03-05-2016, 03:29 PM
Original Dr. Samuel Mudd Headstone
Many thanks to Blaine for sending these two vintage photos (date unknown) of Dr. Samuel A. Mudd's grave with the original headstone at Saint Mary's Catholic Church. As Dave Taylor already asked previously on his site, see if you can spot an error in the headstone.

[Image: muddgrave1.jpg]

[Image: muddgrave2.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-05-2016, 04:02 PM
RE: Original Dr. Samuel Mudd Headstone
Is it the wording near it's base?

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-05-2016, 04:09 PM
(03-05-2016 04:02 PM)LincolnMan Wrote:  Is it the wording near it's base?

It's in the deceased's age.
03-05-2016, 07:42 PM
Dr. Mudd was 49 when he died, not 48 as engraved on this stone (which is now on display at the Dr. Mudd Museum)
03-05-2016, 08:51 PM
Wonder how that happened!

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-06-2016, 07:54 PM
(03-05-2016 03:29 PM)RJNorton Wrote:  Many thanks to Blaine for sending these two vintage photos (date unknown) of Dr. Samuel A. Mudd's grave with the original headstone at Saint Mary's Catholic Church. As Dave Taylor already asked previously on his site, see if you can spot an error in the headstone.

We can narrow the date of this photo down to being between 1883, when Dr. Sam died (assuming the family could afford to place a marker at that time), and 1911, when Mrs. Mudd joined him. Due to what appears to be some deterioration to the stone, I would date it to around 1900.

I am sure hoping that the smaller marker in front is a foot stone for him. His grave sits VERY close to the paved parking area today, and I don't believe it was ever moved. If that smaller marker is a headstone for someone else, their grave has been paved over or moved.
03-06-2016, 08:46 PM
I wonder where the missing cross is from the top of the stone?
03-08-2016, 10:06 AM
(03-05-2016 03:29 PM)RJNorton Wrote:  Many thanks to Blaine for sending these two vintage photos (date unknown) of Dr. Samuel A. Mudd's grave with the original headstone at Saint Mary's Catholic Church. As Dave Taylor already asked previously on his site, see if you can spot an error in the headstone.

This may not have been an error. Although official death certificates were not yet required in Maryland, we are certain that Dr. Mudd died on January 10, 1883 from contemporary newspaper obituaries. However, there are no primary source records in existence for his oft-repeated date of birth of December 20, 1833. Dr. Richard Mudd does not cite any source record in his well-researched history of the Mudd family, and there is no surviving church record of his birth. The home of Dr. Mudd’s father, Henry Lowe Mudd, burned down around 1881, two years before Dr. Mudd’s death. All the family records were destroyed. Note that no specific date of birth is etched on the tombstone.

It seems reasonable that the 48 years cited on the tombstone was provided by Dr. Mudd’s family. In short, we know for certain when he died, but not for certain when he was born. Why not give deference to the recollection of those who knew him best when he died, instead of those of us now living who didn’t?
03-08-2016, 11:11 AM
Hi Bob. I had always thought December 20, 1833, was correct as that is what is in Nettie's book. I did not realize the birth date may not have been accurate.
03-08-2016, 11:22 AM
"This may not have been an error. Although official death certificates were not yet required in Maryland, we are certain that Dr. Mudd died on January 10, 1883 from contemporary newspaper obituaries. However, there are no primary source records in existence for his oft-repeated date of birth of December 20, 1833. Dr. Richard Mudd does not cite any source record in his well-researched history of the Mudd family, and there is no surviving church record of his birth. The home of Dr. Mudd’s father, Henry Lowe Mudd, burned down around 1881, two years before Dr. Mudd’s death. All the family records were destroyed. Note that no specific date of birth is etched on the tombstone.

"It seems reasonable that the 48 years cited on the tombstone was provided by Dr. Mudd’s family. In short, we know for certain when he died, but not for certain when he was born. Why not give deference to the recollection of those who knew him best when he died, instead of those of us now living who didn’t?"

Excellent point, Bob, and one that I had never heard mentioned. Any chance that a marriage certificate would show dates of birth?

As for the missing cross atop the stone, I was told years ago that the old tombstone was propped up against a building on one of the descendant's property for years before the house was restored as a museum. Perhaps too many moves and/or droppings or knockings broke the cross.

Another interesting tidbit: The remarkable John C. Brennan was a firm believer in dousing, and several of us were with him back in the 1980s when he decided to douse the grave of Dr. and Mrs. Mudd. As you know, many believe that you can determine sex via dousing (usually employing a plumb-line). Mr. Brennan was convinced after his Mudd experiment that Mrs. Mudd is buried on the opposite side of her husband than what is shown on the tombstone -- and also what is the old practice of burying the woman to the left of her husband (closest to his heart for eternity).
03-09-2016, 11:47 AM
Any chance that a marriage certificate would show dates of birth?

Hi Laurie. Charles County has marriage records only back to 1886. Records before that are at the state archives in Annapolis, but the Archives has no Charles County marriage records for the period when Dr. & Mrs. Mudd were married. The only marriage records for that period are held by local churches, and the records at St. Mary’s and St. Peter’s for that time no longer exist. I found my own parents’ 1934 marriage records at St. Peter’s, but they are already in very bad shape.

Comprehensive info on Maryland marriage records is here: http://guide.mdsa.net/pages/viewer.aspx?page=marriage.
03-09-2016, 12:55 PM
Bob - Please go to the bar and fix a stiff drink. Then, find the most comfortable chair you have at home, grab your cell phone in case you start to feel lightheaded and need to dial 9-1-1 after you read what I just posted about one of the books I had recommended on the Book section of the forum!

I'll skip to the chase -- the new book states that there is speculation that Booth and Dr. Mudd had a sexual relationship. Do you know of a possible citation for that?

Now, once you recover from that, it later says that Mrs. Mudd was the one who arranged for Booth to wear a theatrical beard...
03-09-2016, 02:50 PM
(03-09-2016 12:55 PM)L Verge Wrote:  Bob - Please go to the bar and fix a stiff drink. Then, find the most comfortable chair you have at home, grab your cell phone in case you start to feel lightheaded and need to dial 9-1-1 after you read what I just posted about one of the books I had recommended on the Book section of the forum!

I'll skip to the chase -- the new book states that there is speculation that Booth and Dr. Mudd had a sexual relationship. Do you know of a possible citation for that?

Now, once you recover from that, it later says that Mrs. Mudd was the one who arranged for Booth to wear a theatrical beard...

No, I’ve never come across anything about either of these claims. Don’t you love the 1st Amendment?
03-11-2016, 10:36 AM
I'm shocked that Laurie would even mention such tawdry trash on the highly respected symposium.
03-11-2016, 08:27 PM
(03-11-2016 10:36 AM)Jim Garrett Wrote:  I'm shocked that Laurie would even mention such tawdry trash on the highly respected symposium.

Well, smack me and tell me never to do it again, dear Ashley. No one ever compared me to Melanie.