Should Mary have received Abraham's salary?
01-24-2016, 02:09 PM
Should Mary have received Abraham's salary?
I am just curious to see if anyone has an opinion on this.

On November 15, 1867, Mary wrote Elizabeth Keckly a letter in which she indicated "if Congress or the Nation had given me the four years salary" then she could have lived as "the widow of the great President Lincoln should" and given liberally to all just causes.

Since Lincoln had been assassinated very early in his second term this would have amounted to slightly less than $100,000.

Should Congress have passed a bill to give the widow of an assassinated President the salary he would have made had he not been killed?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-24-2016, 02:33 PM
RE: Should Mary have received Abraham's salary?
No, she received a pension, and it was increased a few years later.

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
01-24-2016, 07:35 PM
I do not think she should have received any portion of the President's salary. However, I do think she should have gotten a speedier and more generous pension.
01-25-2016, 05:20 PM
I think the pension is fine, I don't think Mary should have received the President's salary.

I would be interested to know, however, if there was a precedent for such a request or idea. Both Wm Henry Harrison and Zachary Taylor were Presidents who had died in office before Lincoln (although not due to assassination). Did their wives receive their husband's salaries or a pension of any sort?
01-25-2016, 05:49 PM
Give her what she is worth!
01-26-2016, 03:35 AM
(01-25-2016 05:20 PM)STS Lincolnite Wrote:  I would be interested to know, however, if there was a precedent for such a request or idea. Both Wm Henry Harrison and Zachary Taylor were Presidents who had died in office before Lincoln (although not due to assassination). Did their wives receive their husband's salaries or a pension of any sort?

I would not know about Taylor and Harrison but in 1870 a majority of the Senate Committee on Pensions reported that they would table her bill permanently on the grounds of "lack of precedent", among other reasons.

In case of emergency, Lincoln and children first.
01-26-2016, 08:50 PM (This post was last modified: 01-26-2016 09:01 PM by Anita.)
(01-25-2016 05:20 PM)STS Lincolnite Wrote:  I think the pension is fine, I don't think Mary should have received the President's salary.

I would be interested to know, however, if there was a precedent for such a request or idea. Both Wm Henry Harrison and Zachary Taylor were Presidents who had died in office before Lincoln (although not due to assassination). Did their wives receive their husband's salaries or a pension of any sort?

"Anna Harrison was the first Presidential spouse to receive a pension. She received $25K June 30, 1841 because her husband died in office." Read here about other First Ladies' pensions.
https://books.google.com/books?id=mlitLO...ions+if+pr
The Presidents' Wives: Reassessing the Office of First Lady
By Robert P. Watson

Mary should have received a pension but not Lincoln's salary.
01-27-2016, 08:58 AM
Anita,I agree with your opinion 100%!
01-27-2016, 01:18 PM
I just wonder - what about the president himself (especially Lincoln's days)? If Lincoln had lived through the second term and then not been re-elected, would he have received a pension?
01-27-2016, 01:56 PM
(01-27-2016 01:18 PM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  I just wonder - what about the president himself (especially Lincoln's days)? If Lincoln had lived through the second term and then not been re-elected, would he have received a pension?

"Before 1958, the U.S. federal government provided no pension or other retirement benefits to former United States presidents."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Former_Presidents_Act

http://www.archives.gov/about/laws/forme...dents.html
01-27-2016, 02:12 PM
(01-27-2016 01:56 PM)RJNorton Wrote:  
(01-27-2016 01:18 PM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  I just wonder - what about the president himself (especially Lincoln's days)? If Lincoln had lived through the second term and then not been re-elected, would he have received a pension?

"Before 1958, the U.S. federal government provided no pension or other retirement benefits to former United States presidents."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Former_Presidents_Act

http://www.archives.gov/about/laws/forme...dents.html

And their spouses can receive up to $20,000/year if they give up certain other benefits.
01-27-2016, 03:34 PM

I think the plan was for Mary to be appointed Secretary of State under the Grant administration. Abraham was going to go on the lecture circuit and make millions plus start his own Lincoln Charitable Trust taking in more millions in donations from those hoping to have Mary's influence with Grant and in world affairs while Robert received an over inflated salary as the lawyer for the trust along with other Lincoln cronies.
Cool

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
01-27-2016, 04:23 PM
Very interesting - thanks for the info!
01-27-2016, 08:33 PM
(01-27-2016 03:34 PM)Gene C Wrote:  

I think the plan was for Mary to be appointed Secretary of State under the Grant administration. Abraham was going to go on the lecture circuit and make millions plus start his own Lincoln Charitable Trust taking in more millions in donations from those hoping to have Mary's influence with Grant and in world affairs while Robert received an over inflated salary as the lawyer for the trust along with other Lincoln cronies.
Cool

That plan certainly seems to have worked very well for some modern-day politicians, Gene.
01-28-2016, 09:07 AM
Was the U.S.ready for a female sec of state then?Now-yes-then?