01-11-2016, 05:18 PM
The Piano Lincoln Heard
Nice piece here about the restoration of the piano in the Edwards' home:

http://illinoistimes.com/article-16637-t...heard.html
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-11-2016, 06:24 PM
RE: The Piano Lincoln Heard
Susan, thank you for posting a link to this fascinating article. The only photo I have ever seen of the interior of the Edwards' home is this:

[Image: edwpar.jpg]

I am not sure if the article makes clear that Edwards Place is not the home where the wedding took place (and in which Mary Lincoln died). That home no longer stands. Ninian Edwards' brother, Benjamin Edwards, also had a home in Springfield. This is the Edwards' Place referenced in the article Susan posted.
Find all posts by this user
01-11-2016, 06:57 PM
Eva, if I understood the article correctly, the piano Lincoln heard was in the home of Ninian Edwards. Ninian was married to Elizabeth (Todd) Edwards, Mary Lincoln's sister.

But now the piano Lincoln heard is going to be located in the home of Ninian's brother, Benjamin, which is called Edwards Place. Ninian Edwards' home no longer stands. I believe Ninian's home stood at the south end of the present State House grounds in Springfield. Possibly one of the "Springfield group" could correct me if I have said anything wrong. Thanks.

(Eva, your question disappeared after I replied)
01-11-2016, 07:06 PM
Yeah, I was disappointed to go to the Edwards Place website and find it wasn't the home in which Mary stayed. Still looks like a nice place to visit (and it does have the "courting couch" from Ninian Edwards' parlor):

http://www.edwardsplace.org/

http://www.edwardsplace.org/#!courting-couch/czpn
01-11-2016, 07:55 PM (This post was last modified: 01-11-2016 07:57 PM by Eva Elisabeth.)
(01-11-2016 06:57 PM)RJNorton Wrote:  Eva, if I understood the article correctly, the piano Lincoln heard was in the home of Ninian Edwards. Ninian was married to Elizabeth (Todd) Edwards, Mary Lincoln's sister.

But now the piano Lincoln heard is going to be located in the home of Ninian's brother, Benjamin, which is called Edwards Place. Ninian Edwards' home no longer stands. I believe Ninian's home stood at the south end of the present State House grounds in Springfield. Possibly one of the "Springfield group" could correct me if I have said anything wrong. Thanks.

Yes, Roger - I finally was totally confused and wanted to re-read/think first. Thanks for clarifying.

And thanks, Susan, for this most interesting article!!! I didn't know about the US piano industry of those days making pianos affordable for many. I wonder who played the Edwards' piano - and if Mary's education had included learning to play an instrument (I just recall singing and dancing). Mary Harlan's had included playing the harp, and Willie Lincoln allegedly played the piano and was probably the only "advanced" musician in the Lincoln family.
01-11-2016, 09:25 PM
(01-11-2016 07:55 PM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  
(01-11-2016 06:57 PM)RJNorton Wrote:  Eva, if I understood the article correctly, the piano Lincoln heard was in the home of Ninian Edwards. Ninian was married to Elizabeth (Todd) Edwards, Mary Lincoln's sister.

Yes, Roger - I finally was totally confused and wanted to re-read/think first. Thanks for clarifying.

And thanks, Susan, for this most interesting article!!! I didn't know about the US piano industry of those days making pianos affordable for many. I wonder who played the Edwards' piano - and if Mary's education had included learning to play an instrument (I just recall singing and dancing). Mary Harlan's had included playing the harp, and Willie Lincoln allegedly played the piano and was probably the only "advanced" musician in the Lincoln family.

My guess is that she learned at least the rudiments; according to this Pinterest site from an exhibition at the Mary Todd Lincoln House, she did know how to play but preferred to listen to others. We do know that her half-sister Emilie earned a living for a while after the war as a church organist and a music teacher.

https://www.pinterest.com/MaryToddLincol...favorites/

The Surratt boardinghouse had a piano--Louis Weichman recalled Lewis Powell, when visiting in the guise of a Baptist minister, asking Anna Surratt to play it for him.
01-15-2016, 08:45 AM
Laura Keene lugged around a piano with her to her engagements. Imagine the poor soul detailed to move it around. There is a picture of the piano in "Looking for Lincoln". Rich Smyth did much research on the piano...........and it is my understanding, Rich can bang out a mean chopsticks!
01-15-2016, 12:04 PM
(01-11-2016 07:06 PM)Susan Higginbotham Wrote:  Yeah, I was disappointed to go to the Edwards Place website and find it wasn't the home in which Mary stayed. Still looks like a nice place to visit (and it does have the "courting couch" from Ninian Edwards' parlor):

http://www.edwardsplace.org/

http://www.edwardsplace.org/#!courting-couch/czpn

The home of Ninian and Elizabeth Edwards was razed in 1918 to make way for the Centennial Building, which later became the Howlett Building, on the grounds of the Illinois Capitol. It's hard to defend this decision now, but evidently it was thought that the old house had been altered so much since its 1836 construction that much of its connection to Lincoln had been lost. See here: http://sangamoncountyhistory.org/wp/?p=1611. No doubt that in 1876, when the "new" Illinois Capitol was built, the Edwards home was deemed safe. Today, any connection to Lincoln in Springfield is sacred, so that old home would be untouchable.

It appears that Springfield awoke a bit too late to what it had: in addition to the loss of the Ninian Edwards home, only one of the Lincoln law offices remains--the Tinsley building at 6th and Adams, where Lincoln practiced from 1843 to 1852.

However, the home of Ninian's brother Benjamin remains, as Edwards Place, where one may find the famous "courting couch" and, soon, the piano. It's hard to imagine that home being demolished for a public building.
01-29-2016, 12:28 AM
Edwards Place is a wonderful place to visit. The home of Benjamin and Helen Edwards, it was a busy social spot in Springfield and was frequently visited by Abraham and Mary. It is through the stories of Helen Edwards that we are given a glimpse of early Springfield life. She also gave us a beautiful description of Mary Todd: "The sunshine in her heart was reflected in her face.” Helen said that she and Mary became close friends and remained friends until Mary's passing.