Mary Todd Lincoln House "Announcing the Best New Artifact of 2015!"
01-01-2016, 08:35 PM
Mary Todd Lincoln House "Announcing the Best New Artifact of 2015!"
In August, museum staffers Gwen Thompson and Jon Coleman took a research trip to Selma, Alabama. While there, this Bible was given to the museum. The Bible belonged to Mary Todd Lincoln's sister Elodie Todd Dawson and includes numerous notes in her hand.

In a note written on Christmas Night 1864, she recalled the death of their brother Alex Todd, a Confederate soldier killed outside of Baton Rouge in August 1863. She wrote, "He has left us lonely, and will ever live in the heart of his mother and sisters." Alex was one of four Todd brothers who served in the Confederate Army, two of whom died. This new artifact helps tell the story of the Todd family's divided loyalties during the Civil War.

mtlhouse.org/
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-02-2016, 10:57 AM
RE: Mary Todd Lincoln House "Announcing the Best New Artifact of 2015!"
Anita, thank you so much for posting this!

Here is a link to a photo of the Bible:

https://www.facebook.com/mtlhouse/photos...49/?type=3
01-02-2016, 01:35 PM
Fascinating - thanks for sharing to the both of you!
01-03-2016, 11:33 AM
A great discovery.
I have been making notes in one of my Bibles for years. The notes are about family occurences and notable events. I'd like to think that it will stay in my family after I'm gone as an inclusion to the Nash family history. Hopefully, somebody may appreciate it. When Mary's sister made those notes in the Bible maybe she had the same sense. In her case, whether she had that sense or not- her notes have become a treasure. Forum members- do any of you make notes in a Bible or in some other way?

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-03-2016, 03:25 PM
Hi Bill. Personally I have not done so, but I know this was a common practice in Vicki's family.
01-03-2016, 04:16 PM
I have family Bibles from two sides of my maternal family, each dating to the early 1800s, and yes, we keep births, marriages, and deaths updated (great for helping remember the family tree). My ancestors also kept poems, newspaper clippings, some letters, etc. tucked into the Bibles.

And this reminds me that I need to update our entries.
01-03-2016, 06:39 PM
No notes written (but clippings with poems etc.) tucked into it and not as old as Laurie's, but with a war and family history attached to it. It is my grandma's (now my) Bible and almost the only item saved from East Prussia thanks to her brother, who took it on the submarine where he served. My grandma and mother fled on the sinking Gustloff (biggest ship catastrophy in naval history, they were amongst the few rescued. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/MV_Wilhelm_Gustloff ).

Sadly, despite my mother I am the only family left, so there will likely be no one to pass on.
01-03-2016, 06:53 PM
(01-03-2016 06:39 PM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  No notes written (but clippings with poems etc.) tucked into it and not as old as Laurie's, but with a war and family history attached to it. It is my grandma's (now my) Bible and almost the only item saved from East Prussia thanks to her brother, who took it on the submarine where he served. My grandma and mother fled on the sinking Gustloff (biggest ship catastrophy in naval history, they were amongst the few rescued. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/MV_Wilhelm_Gustloff ).

Sadly, despite my mother I am the only family left, so there will likely be no one to pass on.

Eva: even if there is no family member to pass it on too- it may be a worthwhile endeavor. If nothing else you are writing to the universe- think Emily Dickenson " this is my letter to the world which never wrote to me."

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-03-2016, 06:57 PM
Bill, the pages are too fragile to write onto, but I have kept on tucking clippings into it.
01-29-2016, 12:04 AM
When Gwen Thompson and Jon Coleman traveled to Alabama to claim the Bible, they also reclaimed the Todd family china. Elizabeth Humphreys Todd (Mary Lincoln's step mother) left it to Elodie in her will. It is once again has a place of honor in the Todd home.
01-29-2016, 01:10 PM
Thanks Donna. It's amazing this china survived the Civil War and all the years since then.