Laura Keene's Naturalization Papers
10-18-2015, 07:10 PM (This post was last modified: 10-18-2015 07:11 PM by BettyO.)
Laura Keene's Naturalization Papers
Found Laura Keene's Naturalization papers, circa 1856. Of particular interest - she had to "particularly renounce the crown and British Queen!" Sort of an insult, really - but I guess that 1856 was so close to the American Revolution that they felt compelled to include that.

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-18-2015, 08:11 PM
RE: Laura Keene's Naturalization Papers
Very cool find. Never thought to look for them. I wonder if the papers from the several legal suits over the rights to Our American Cousin are available.
10-18-2015, 09:20 PM
I assume that is not her signature?

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-19-2015, 08:22 AM
Here's a link to Laura Keene's signature:

http://autographmagazine.com/wp-content/...eneSig.jpg
10-19-2015, 01:39 PM
They do not look alike.

Bill Nash
10-19-2015, 07:38 PM
(10-18-2015 08:11 PM)Dennis Urban Wrote:  Very cool find. Never thought to look for them. I wonder if the papers from the several legal suits over the rights to Our American Cousin are available.

Dennis, they are. Some are in her papers at the Library of Congress and some in the Harvard Theatre Collection. Copies of them are also in the (late) Ben Graf Henneke (Keene's biographer) Papers at the University of Tulsa.
10-20-2015, 11:54 PM
(10-18-2015 07:10 PM)BettyO Wrote:  Found Laura Keene's Naturalization papers, circa 1856. Of particular interest - she had to "particularly renounce the crown and British Queen!" Sort of an insult, really - but I guess that 1856 was so close to the American Revolution that they felt compelled to include that.

The language was still being used in 1880. John Brophy's naturalization that year contains it.