The hole In the door
09-13-2015, 05:20 PM
The hole In the door
Your opinion?

Various authors take different views on whether JWB bore the hole in the door or not. I'm still listening to the audible version of Blood On The Moon. Dr. Steers states that one of the Ford sons claimed the hole was made by the theater staff for the purpose of guards being able to monitor inside the box. That rings true for me. I just can't see JWB doing that on the day.

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-13-2015, 05:59 PM
RE: The hole In the door
Good question, Bill. I can go either way on this. I know that G. W. Bunker, a clerk at the National Hotel, testified at the conspiracy trial that a gimlet with an iron handle was found in Booth's trunk.
Find all posts by this user
09-13-2015, 06:47 PM
It's another one of those puzzlements that will likely never be solved. I tend to think that the Ford statement was made in order to deter people from thinking that they (the theater proprietors) had been lax enough to allow Booth time to do this. Since Lincoln seldom came with guards, why worry about such a peep hole? But then, security was a foreign word to what we think of today.
09-13-2015, 07:04 PM (This post was last modified: 09-13-2015 07:04 PM by Eva Elisabeth.)
I tend to go for Booth. Weren't wood chips found in his pockets? Why should guards monitor inside the box??? History proved the danger threatened from outside. Laurie's explanation as for Ford's claim makes sense to me.
09-13-2015, 07:36 PM
If JWB made the hole he really had thoughts out quite well. I think maybe the wood chips found in his pocket could have been from the chips resulting from fitting the wooden plank inside the door.

Bill Nash
09-14-2015, 05:36 AM
I believe either JWB or possibly Spangler (working for JWB) could have done this - but more or less I think Booth made the hole. Also, Ford wouldn't want suspicion cast on him or his theatre any more than was already done if management did perpetuate the "wood work....."

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
09-14-2015, 05:43 AM
Part of the reason I am on the fence regarding this as I cannot think of a solid reason Booth would need this hole. What advantage would it give him? From what I've read Booth was inside Ford's in the late afternoon/early evening and could easily see where the President's rocker was located in the box. John Buckingham, the doorman, said Booth was in and out of the theater several times right before the shooting - could Booth not see the box and where everyone was seated? If we are to believe Clara Harris (a BIG question mark) Booth even visited the box an hour before the shot was fired. What is the advantage of having this hole?

If Booth did make the hole did he ever consider firing his shot through the hole?
09-14-2015, 06:15 AM
I have no opinion as to who created that hole in the door of the presidential box, but I always try to find the simplest answer. That being said, one thing that would have a bearing on whether the hole was pre-Booth is whether any of the other box doors at Ford's had similar holes in them.

Am I correct in my thinking that at least three other boxes at Ford's--one underneath the president's box and two opposite--would have had similar doors? If any of those doors had holes, then that would decrease the likelihood of Booth having bored the hole in the presidential box's door.

--Jim

Please visit my blog: http://jimsworldandwelcometoit.com/
09-14-2015, 06:36 AM
Good point, Jim. I'm more or less with you. Why would he need the hole unless he was simply using it as a "peep" hole....? If he knew where the rocker; i.e. Lincoln's seat was placed, why would he need such to begin with. Are there other doors which exist? Did they all have holes? Was the hole in that door the night (March 17-18, 1865) that Powell, Surratt and the ladies supposedly sat in that box?

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
09-14-2015, 07:15 AM (This post was last modified: 09-14-2015 07:16 AM by Eva Elisabeth.)
(09-14-2015 05:43 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  Part of the reason I am on the fence regarding this as I cannot think of a solid reason Booth would need this hole. What advantage would it give him? From what I've read Booth was inside Ford's in the late afternoon/early evening and could easily see where the President's rocker was located in the box. John Buckingham, the doorman, said Booth was in and out of the theater several times right before the shooting - could Booth not see the box and where everyone was seated? If we are to believe Clara Harris (a BIG question mark) Booth even visited the box an hour before the shot was fired. What is the advantage of having this hole?

If Booth did make the hole did he ever consider firing his shot through the hole?
If I was Booth I would have liked to know what the situation inside was when entering. Rathbone or Lincoln for whatever reason could have stood up or similar. I would have felt "safer", and better prepared with a peep inside the box immediately before action.
09-14-2015, 08:10 AM
(09-14-2015 07:15 AM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  
(09-14-2015 05:43 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  Part of the reason I am on the fence regarding this as I cannot think of a solid reason Booth would need this hole. What advantage would it give him? From what I've read Booth was inside Ford's in the late afternoon/early evening and could easily see where the President's rocker was located in the box. John Buckingham, the doorman, said Booth was in and out of the theater several times right before the shooting - could Booth not see the box and where everyone was seated? If we are to believe Clara Harris (a BIG question mark) Booth even visited the box an hour before the shot was fired. What is the advantage of having this hole?

If I was Booth I would have liked to know what the situation inside was when entering. Rathbone or Lincoln for whatever reason could have stood up or similar. I would have felt "safer", and better prepared with a peep inside the box immediately before action.

Me, too. And was the guard who was supposed to be outside actually inside for some reason?
09-14-2015, 11:59 AM
(09-14-2015 06:15 AM)Jim Page Wrote:  I have no opinion as to who created that hole in the door of the presidential box, but I always try to find the simplest answer. That being said, one thing that would have a bearing on whether the hole was pre-Booth is whether any of the other box doors at Ford's had similar holes in them.

Am I correct in my thinking that at least three other boxes at Ford's--one underneath the president's box and two opposite--would have had similar doors? If any of those doors had holes, then that would decrease the likelihood of Booth having bored the hole in the presidential box's door.

--Jim

I agree with Jim. Does anyone know if any of the other doors had holes?

Bill Nash
09-14-2015, 12:01 PM (This post was last modified: 09-14-2015 12:02 PM by BettyO.)
While researching some info on Mary Gardner - found this interesting article re: JWB and the hole bored in the Box Door -

09-14-2015, 01:19 PM
I don't remember reading that a pocketknife had been found. Anyway thanks Betty for posting the article.

Bill Nash
09-14-2015, 08:24 PM
I can't recall where I had heard this, but I remember reading once that where an author implied that Spangler may have bored the peephole. Can anyone else recall who may have said this?

" Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the American Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford